STUCK IN A LOOP

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by maddawg, May 6, 2020.

1. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Sorry, but i have to ask if you read all posts.
    I had written already (post #17), that you should remove the trackmap plugin.
    And your next post was "Same shit, different day.".

maddawg likes this.
  2. Goanna

Goanna Registered

I've found that some players, when told to remove the trackmap plugin, just turn it off in plugins page (which you and I know won't solve the problem) and if that's what he did it would be, for him, same shit different day :D We'll see how he gets on tomorrow after doing what Lazza said.

3. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Yes, you probably are right. :)
    I just wonder, that i sometimes see people acting like this in the forum.
    They ask for help, get suggestions from other users and then they disappear without any reply or they ignore the suggestions and keep posting that the problem still exists.

4. Goanna

Goanna Registered

@Bernd very true, reminds me of the old saying “You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink”

5. Bernd

Bernd Registered

But if it's seriously dursty, it will drink without to get forced to. ;)

maddawg and Goanna like this.
  6. maddawg

maddawg Registered

Yes, sorry, I did that. I pulled the file to my desktop. Problem still unresolved.

7. Goanna

Goanna Registered

There's more than one file to get rid of though... if you do what @Lazza says in post #19 you should be good to go I reckon.

maddawg likes this.
  8. maddawg

maddawg Registered

Where are the Bin Folders located? I see Bundles but not Bins. Is that what you mean?

9. Bernd

Bernd Registered

If i install something like plugins, i always check which files are installed into which folders, to be able to remove them completelely, if needed.
    I don't use the trackmap plugin, so i don't know which files have to be removed.
    If you still have the zip file of the trackmap plugin (i guess it was packed in a zip file), check which files have been installed into which folders and remove them all.
    As @Lazza has also said already.

EDIT the bin.. folders are located in the rfactor 2 installation folder, that normally should be here:
    ..\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    maddawg likes this.
  10. maddawg

maddawg Registered

Ok guys I'm going to close this thread. I'm too old to try to figure all of this out. I do thank each and every one of you for your help. A week spent trying to unravel the issue is a week I will never regain, so at some point I have to say enough. It wouldn't be so bad if it were only this game but I have another game with issues as well. Besides, there is a life beyond the PC. Thanks again all for the help!!

11. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Right click rFactor 2 in the Steam Library
    Cursor over Manage then click Browse Local Files
    files.png

maddawg likes this.
  12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I was referring to the Bin32 and Bin64 folders I had already mentioned. To be honest I didn't even realise there was a Bin folder in there :)

You obviously haven't tried to run rF2 for a while (Trackmap has never worked in dx11, so you can't have used it with a current version of rF2 since about 2017), and I can understand the frustration when things don't work and you're not that computer savvy.

When you decide to try again, which I'm sure you will, I think the easiest and cleanest way to get a fresh start with the current version is to go to your rF2 folder, select everything (all files and folders) except the "Installed" folder (if you click on anything in the main folder, press Ctrl-A, then hold Ctrl while you click the Installed folder, that should do it), and delete. Then go into your Steam library, rFactor 2 -> Properties, Local Files tab, and click "Verify Integrity of game files".

That will remove any old files you could have floating around, but will leave the Installed folder which is the bulk of the download, and replace all required files from steam. Be prepared to reboot and/or restart Steam after that, and it will need to download a fair amount (perhaps 1 GB or so). It'll be a clean install so you'll need to config your settings, controls, etc. But especially after a few years it's probably not a bad idea to start fresh.

maddawg likes this.
  13. maddawg

maddawg Registered

Thank you! Very confusing. People are giving me instructions without a "path" (x)/(x1)/(x2)/....... I was looking for Bin Folders in the .exe folder, lol. That got me going but now I am at square one again. Got to reset everything.

14. maddawg

maddawg Registered

Thank you! Yes, up and running again and you're right, back to square one again. So more head scratching trying set up controls and all. Thanks again!

Lazza likes this.
  15. maddawg

maddawg Registered

I do read all posts thank you. For you a 10 minute file fix......for me its 2 days, lol. That's why it seems I have gone away forever.

16. Bernd

Bernd Registered

I have to excuse myself. :)
    As a rfactor user since 15 years, i'm used to browse in the games files and edit, move, remove, whatever these.
    And i often forget that there are new users that are much less experienced with that.
    But i want to say to you "don't give up".
    It worths it. ;)

17. maddawg

maddawg Registered

I know, fixing these games is a love/hate relationship. Everything is up and running again thanks to you and all the others who took the time to support me. THANKS GANG!!

Bernd and Goanna like this.