Strobing Shadows

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Marc Collins, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Shadows seem far from optimized...

One particular strange issue for me is "stroboing" shadows that ruin the smooth, clean look of the graphics overall.

The problem shows up all over the place, but here is an example you can replicate:

With Shadows on only Medium, if I pull out into the Mills pit lane in an F3 car at 11 am sunny, I get shadows in the cockpit across the instruments--this is good. If I am sitting still they look convincing and resonable. If I inch the car ahead with the tiniest movement, instead of the shadow across the tach either not moving at all or perhaps maximum it might shift by one pixel, it starts strobing like I am in a disco. If I stop the car again, it returns to normal. It is like a toggle that goes on and off with the tiniest of movement of vehicle. of course ,it continues to strobe inappropriately as you go up in speed.

Is this just a beta thing, or is there a setting to get rid of this? It goes away if you turn Shadows to Low, but then you lose shadows under opponents, which is unacceptable.

2. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

Agreed. Driving at Monaco today, the shadows from the trees were flickering like crazy. The edges are also very sharp, which looks unnatural. Perhaps it's work in progress though? Shadows are set to high in my settings by the way, and shadow blur is enabled.

3. DRat

DRat Registered

It's worse if HDR is enabled, regardless of other settings. HDR with environment reflection makes it much worse on my system, too. Shadow settings (high, med, etc.) don't seem to affect this motion strobing effect. Also note that in replays there seems to be a shadowed area that affects scenery objects near the car and moves along the track with the car. One more shadow item - the car ground shadow flickers on/off quite a bit in replays while the car is moving, at least at Spa, regardless of settings.

4. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I have to say, surprisingly to me, this is even more distracting/annnoying when trying to race than the failed AA implementation--always thought that would be m ynumber one issue! I hope the shadows get a major upgrade, look and performance, in the next release.

5. 6e66o

6e66o Registered

I was really hoping for improved shadows.
    But as it is now, the flickering seems to be even worse then in rF1..

I hope this will be adressed for the next release as well.