Street Car Mod WIP

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by D1Racer, Feb 2, 2012.

1. FakeThinkpad

FakeThinkpad Registered

to break all the negativity I will say the models look great so far considering the limitations in the shaders and I really look forward to a release, no matter the source. will we be seing a WIP release or will we need to wait for the Final build?

2. D1Racer

D1Racer Registered

Thanks. Due to the amount of work and limited time I have, plus the fact that alot will change through out the beta, there won't be a WIP release until at last near the end of beta, if not after final release.

3. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Heck yeah, this just jumped to the top of my waiting list. Screw race cars, bring on the stock condition street machines. =) (Why yes, I do watch entirely too much Best MOTORing and their street car shootouts.)

I appreciate that you're trying to simulate the Attesa-ETS, it's been a real pain not to have intelligent AWD for cars like the GT-R, Evo and WRX STi. Sounds to me like you're just using the basic diff settings, and while I do believe they're better than nothing are you sure they're quite enough? From a technical point do you think it'd be possible to write some sort of plugin that could work as the electronic brain of the AWD system?

Also saw you mention that the cars are 26k poly at the moment. Not that you can do anything about it (not being a modeller and all), but do you think rF2 could function well with 50k poly cars? pCARS has a nasty effect on one's perception of eyecandy. =)

I love the fact that you're working on the classics, and hope that to compete with the Skylines and RX-7 you'll include one car that has definitely earned it's place in the history books (and in my heart) by being one of the best handling road cars ever: The NSX-R. The only street condition NSX-R I've seen in rFactor has been the ancient and unfinished one from JSC, this car definitely deserves to be included in the game. =)

I hope that you'll succeed with your project, and if you ever need a beta tester I'd dearly love to help. 99% of my rF1 and LFS gaming is spent with unmodified street spec cars (the 1% is with HistoriX mod), and they're pretty much the only cars that I have any interest in. =)

4. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I did test one day 90k poly car on rF1, no problems, so rF2 should certainly be ok with 50k, would be great to see some modeller to help realizing such, even recommendation is 36k for rF2.

I would think that max level cars should be truly max, something for the future, so they could have insane high poly model, less polys for lower detail models, more work of course, but graphics are probably something that is easy to do compared to some other aspects.

Easy being relative term, even I know how you can make polygon model, I can't make accurate detailed model, it requires some other skills too which I can't get, like visualizing lines etc.

Modelling itself is not hard, just pull edges to form new ones, move them around, move vertexes around, but to get them to places to aquire correct look is something that is challenge.

Maybe some high detail cars would make modellers more interested of rF2 also, I think many like to do visually awesome looking cars and perhaps their demand of quality has not been met with rF1 which then has made number of modellers small in rF community, who knows, but as a fan of standard street cars with accurate physics I would love to see someone getting to help D1racer on that department.

I doubt that Attaesa-ets could be simulated via plugin, but I don't know much from plugins, however from my understanding steering wheel angle and throttle position should affect to torque split, that would require plugin to read steering and throttle realtime and also to change drivesplit %, most plugins seem to be gathering information instead of inputting information to engine, so maybe such inputting is not much possible?
    From programming point of view it is not the most complicated of things to program if there is simple way to input that info into engine.

Maybe some array should be used to store different conditions, but sadly I know just bit more than hello world from C#, bit same as with modelling, I know basics, but can't do much useful.

5. D1Racer

D1Racer Registered

Well the R35 GTR is 160K poly highest LOD.

I have no coding skills, but if someone could make a plugin like that it would be awesome. Because at the moment I'm just using diff pump etc settings, which is a very crude way of simulating the ATTESA system, but better than nothing at the moment.

NSX-R will definitly be included.

6. jtbo

jtbo Registered

160k sounds big number, but maybe not too big anyone can lower detail setting if getting into problems, so should be ok :)

7. D1Racer

D1Racer Registered

Yeah LOD0 is very high, only for high performance PC. LOD1 is around 60-80K. It will be easy enough to adjust settings for everyones PC.

8. toebee

toebee Registered

Pretty sure you can get away with very high poly models. I think the issue would be when you try to load multiple high poly cars on one track at a time.

9. matt416

matt416 Registered

Did you get round to making a list of cars D1racer?

10. D1Racer

D1Racer Registered

Ok well here's a base car list for now.

Audi S4 (B5)
    BMW M3 (E36)
    Honda NSX-R (NA1)
    Mazda RX7 (FD3S)
    Mitsi Evo X (CZ4A)
    Nissan Skyline GTR (R32)
    Nissan GTR (R35)
    Toyota Supra (JZA80)
    Subaru WRX STi (GRB)
    VW Golf (5K)

These are what I'll aim for to start with.

11. matt416

matt416 Registered

Really looking forward to driving every single on of these :)

Street cars is where its at!

If you get the chance to implement a honda civic as well as your planning the above list you would make my rfactor 2 dreams come true. cant wait :)

12. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Can we have this?

[​IMG]

13. jtbo

jtbo Registered

It says no hotlinking at your image of the Chevette.

Afaik, that is Opel Kadett C in disguise, or maybe Opel Kadett is Chevette in disguise, engines were perhaps not the same, but body was T-body with all Vauxhall/Opel/Chevy/Isuzu with some small changes in appearance.

Might be bit old for D1's mod, but you can always make it if just time allows, I might get around to do physics at some time :p

14. Johannes Rojola

I was secretly thinking of that :cool:

15. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Looking glorious for a start, much obliged good sir! =)

16. D1Racer

D1Racer Registered

If you have a model of the car I will do it, because Vauxhall Chevette was my second car.

17. Johannes Rojola

Then I have to make one.

18. Derohk

Derohk Registered

mitsu evo IIV > mitsu EVO X D:

also what year is the subu? 95 is what it should be :eek:

19. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

What Evo do you mean, there's no such roman numeral as IIV? Do you mean III, IV or VII? =)

I'm totally with you on the WRX Sti though, The Snouted One looks horrible.

20. Mugen

Mugen Registered

Hi all,

Here is my Civic I'm working on. :rolleyes: