Still no way to add KERS for F1?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Exigeous, Jul 9, 2021.

1. Exigeous

Exigeous Registered

I can only find very old forums relating to RF2 and I see there was a plugin for RF1 that added KERS - is this a dead topic and just can't happen? I saw a mention about "cheat protection" and because adding power would be a "cheat" it couldn't be done - I find that a bit hard to buy as it seems that could be modded around but as I'm fairly new to RF2 I don't know.

A friend has gotten me addicted to RF2, I just can't go back to anything else but I really REALLY want KERS for F1 races as it's a pretty big miss to not have.

~X

2. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

I may still have that Plug-in; as I recall it came with FSOne 2009 Offline version (each car had different physics; the Online version had common physics). It didn't work with all wheels, was a bit clunky but it worked sort of. Keep a light foot on the brake and its always charging.

3. Exigeous

Exigeous Registered

Okay, tell me more please? Is this the RF1 plugin? And what is "FSOne 2009" - is that a car pack or something? BTW looking at that mod it looks like that's an rFactor 1 mod, not RF2, is that right?

~X

4. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

FSOne 2009 had 2 versions for rF1, and IMO was the best mod ever created for rF1. Someone converted the Multi-Player version with the common physics to rF2, but not the entire package. The Single Player version was not converted.

There was a small charge level indicator. I suspect it was a timer with a preset start value, may have been configurable in the Plug-In can't recall. When boost button was pushed it would add power similar to turbo boost while counting down the timer. If the timer reached zero power dropped. When the brakes were applied timer count increased.

As it didn't work with all wheels (worked with my G25) I'm suspicious it was controlling the controller button output response while polling rFactor for brake pedal status. Novel but not very practical.

Vance Le Garde likes this.
  5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Boy that is shaking some cobwebs. I think we were trying something like that for the A1GP mod. I vaguely remember the brake aspect. I think they used brake heat as a self timer. After 10 seconds or so the brakes would overheat so it was up to the driver to manage that push to pass type system.

6. Exigeous

Exigeous Registered

So I'm still not hearing an actual way to add KERS to rFactor 2 at this time - am I hearing that correctly? I read in another thread it had to do with them adding an anti-cheat system that would detect a mod "adding power" as a cheat - any validity to that claim?

~X

7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The official stance was that S397 is a company that has focused on Le Mans, not F1. (397 = the record number of laps completed in 24hrs) But wait you say...there are hybrids in WEC. Wellllll, at the time, Porsche and Audi had dropped LMP1 and most expected Toyota to follow. So they chose NOT to address hybrid powertrains.
    And, as far as we know, Hybrids are still off the table.
    The only possible glimmer of hope I could give is the new Formula car. Currently it's power comes from a normally aspirated V8, no hybrid. However, they have also said the car is not complete, more updates are on the way this month....could that mean a surprise?
    dunno....

8. Brutten

Brutten Registered

Simulating a hybrid system is possible in rFactor. (Similar to rFHigvoltage in rF1)
    In my league we have been using it for years.
    Effectively it is based on brakes and no memory hacking is necessary.
    With a little support software (I have developed it in VB.net) it can be done. Adapting the vehicle is quite simple.
    It is not an intrusive method but it is a patch so I have never been tempted to make it public.
    Maybe someone will try it...

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I understand the frustration, but it's not quite as clear cut as it may sound.

Please read through these posts, it may help clarify the method and requirements: https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/ers-kers-simulation.69481/

10. Brutten

Brutten Registered

Greetings.

I don't understand that making such a comment would generate such an aggressive response.
    I will not take it into account.
    I have been making utilities of all kinds for rF1 and rF2 since the beginning of the century and publishing them for free.
    I collaborated in the development of RFE wheater (rain for rF1) with Slowmotion and ILO, I have had several forums (now inactive) where you could download not only these utilities, but also tracks made by me.
    As the story is very long I leave it here.

I am not hiding anything that is not already known for years and that was already used in rF1 (Highvoltage).
    As Lazza rightly points out (thanks to you) this was discussed in another thread and there, not only I answered everything that was asked, but I also offered to share my experience with someone who knows how to program in C and who wants to make a plugin. Exigeous, if this is your case do not hesitate to contact me.
    Not sharing is not for envy, nor to be the best of the forum. The reason is that this function is integrated in an own management software that handles downloads and content, has two radio engineers that report the status of the session and, by voice recognition, perform some actions.
    All this is supported by a SQL Server database that feeds the clients with the necessary data to make everything work. The battery data are in this database and are adjusted in each race as needed.
    As you will see it is not a system that can be easily shared as it requires a server to host the database and someone to manage it continuously.
    And finally, yes, my league is private and that is why we have had a close and friendly group for years. It's not that we don't want to share, it's that we don't want toxic individuals to sneak in.
    Have a nice day.

(Translated by DeepL)

Spyro, Seven Smiles and lagg like this.
  11. likes_simracing

likes_simracing Registered

What the heck man! You are new here and I could tell right away from your few messages that you feel entitled to have something given to you. All the old timers here treated you with respect and gave you some history (and they can always use any thread to talk about their good times), but you did not want to hear it, and choosing to say, like you are the boss, you asked for something, then said "... so, I'm still not hearing an actual way to do what I asked!"

If you know rF1, you would recognize the names Brutten mentioned. No reason to doubt his claims and bona fides. And he explained his reason well enough to justify why it cannot be shared. Yet you came back with an immature response, calling people as liars because they cannot give you anything, and being a douche. Lighten up. The world does not owe you this tool. Even if they have it, and they choose to not share it for reasons they do not even need to explain to you, just move on. It is their tool. If you really want to, study programming and how to make plugins.

Meantime, just be generally nice and hope for kindness. It is hard for others to be kind to people like you who feel entitled and demand the world, without contributing anything back.

Feel free to respond with more vitriol. I have no interest in your response.

djvicious, lagg, Seven Smiles and 2 others like this.
  12. Filip

Filip Registered

It would be nice if someone creates the KERS plugin that works for everyone except Exigeous.

lagg likes this.
  13. Brutten

Brutten Registered

Hi guys.
    Don't waste a second trying to explain anything to this gentleman.

If you lower yourselves to the discursive level of an idiot he will beat you by experience.

Case closed for me.

I predict a complicated life and a lonely old age for him.

djvicious and lagg like this.
  14. Brutten

Brutten Registered

Hey @lagg a ver si me paso por vuestro TS esta noche y charlamos un rato.

15. Brutten

Brutten Registered

@likes_simracing
    thank you for not hesitating.
    To you I will give you a couple of samples of the work we did back in 2013.
    A sample of internal conversations.
    upload_2021-7-14_11-40-40.png

The weather script generator we are talking about.

upload_2021-7-14_11-41-30.png

And a weather report generator for web (forums).

upload_2021-7-14_11-42-45.png

Seven Smiles likes this.
  16. Javibeza

Javibeza Registered

Es una pena que este tipo de posts terminen así. Espero que al menos quede patente la petición, si no lleva ya años apuntada en una lista. A muchos nos encantaría ver implementado un sistema híbrido en el juego (y por supuesto, personalizable lo más posible). Quizá con el nuevo F1 de pago se animen a ello.
    Por otro lado, me quito el sombrero con @Brutten y su invento para emularlo. En nuestra comunidad hemos tenido que programar también un plugin personalizado para hacer funcionar bien cosas del juego que están rotas como el safety car (que no haya Bugs o penalizaciones injustas, permitiendo desdoblajes...), cosas como el clima semi aleatorio con prevision, el control de neumáticos de qualy... Se lo difícil que es hacer que todo eso funcione (lo es más para los que no tenemos tanta experiencia), y es una auténtica pena que este tipo de funcionalidades sean tan cerradas a comunidades y nunca acaben implementándose en el propio juego, pero es lo que tenemos.
    Espero que al menos el post sirva para que alguien lo apunte en su lista de tareas pendientes.

It's a shame that these kind of posts end like this. I hope the request is at least clear, if it has not been listed for years. Many of us would love to see a hybrid system implemented in the sim (and of course, customizable as much as possible). Perhaps with the new F1 DLC they will be encouraged to do so.
    On the other hand, I take my hat off to @Brutten and his workaround to emulate it. In our community we have also had to program a custom plugin to make things in the game that are broken work well, such as the safety car (so there are no bugs or unfair penalties, allowing unlapping ...), things like semi-random weather with forecast, qualy tire compound control ... I know how difficult it is to make all that work (it is even more so for those of us who do not have so much experience), and it is a real shame that this type of functionality is so closed to communities and never ends being implemented in the game itself, but it is what we have.
    I hope that at least the post will make devs to write it down on their to-do list.

17. Brutten

Brutten Registered

@Javibeza Si teneis conocimientos en C y podeis desarrollar plugins puedes ponerte en contacto conmigo (por privado o en otro hilo aparte, porque éste huele mal) y vemos la posibilidad de realizar algo estandard.

Javibeza If you have knowledge in C and you can develop plugins you can contact me (privately or in another thread, because this one smells bad) and we can see the possibility of making something standard.

18. Jose Luis Gonzalez

Jose Luis Gonzalez Registered

Good morning. I am one of the participants in the F1 events and races that Brutten organizes and I can guarantee you that the system he created to simulate the ERS works and if you do not manage the battery well during a lap you lose power and speed until you recharge the battery again , to the individual for calling him in some polite way to tell him that just because he did not provide the MOD does not give you any right to say that he is a liar and it is not possible to do so, I confirm that it works and that I have many hours of use of the system and that those of us who are lucky enough to use it have had to earn it based on dedicating hours of tests and trials to be able to develop it or by participating in the competitions it has organized. All the best

lagg likes this.
  19. Brutten

Brutten Registered

Jose... no entres al trapo.
    Cuanto menos, mas.

20. lagg

lagg Registered

jajaja. Yo he escrito ya 2 posts y los he borrado antes de publicarlos :p