Stereoscopic 3D vision thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bigtabs, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Anonim

Anonim Registered

As for the games with low depth, I have to admit, ''a lot'' might have been a wrong word in my previous post, nonetheless many titles have kinda flat depth rather than low: Test drive unlimited 2 is a good example of this phenomenon with ''Excellent'' rating and Deus EX:HR is almost the same as far as I know... I think it's due to locked convergence.. but why don't they unlock it?
    However, the ''good'' rating of rFactor 2 VS ''Excellent'' of TDU2 Unlimited is a shame because rFactor 2 looks much better without a doubt!

2. mmed

mmed Registered

TDU2 has excellent 3D, but only in external cam. In cockpit cam the depth is very weak.

3. bigtabs

bigtabs Registered

For some reason BF3 chose to go this route aswell, where first person infantry views have good convergence, but in vehicle is very low. Thankfully with a recent patch we can tweak it, but not as easily as the nVidia hotkeys.

Back to rF2 though - it looks great no matter the camera, and really suits this kind of game.

As a driving aid, the bonus of added depth perception is probably negated by the extra latency involved in rendering pageflipped 3D, but it's highly enjoyable and immersive all the same.

If I was a more consistent driver, I would time myself with and without stereo3D to see if the overall positives and negatives balanced out or swung a particular way.

Perhaps some others in this thread would like to take up that challenge?

4. mmed

mmed Registered

I think 3D makes it easier to judge the distance to a corner.

5. Bel

Bel Registered

I've tried IZ3D interleaved mode and is not working at all!!!

6. kopytek

kopytek Registered

why can't I see in 3D:(
    now even games come equipped with 3D vision.

I feel like a handicapped person now:/

7. Anonim

Anonim Registered

what do you mean? you can't see in 3D?

8. mmed

mmed Registered

Not everyone can see 3D. I have friends that can´t see 3D at the movies but with active shutter glasses (Nvidia 3DVision)
    they have no problem.

9. vilivili

vilivili Registered

and easier to estimate the shape of an oncoming turn so driving lines can be optimised. in a corner I know better when to open the throttle etc..
    -> with 3d enabled I am lapping quicker than without 3d + eau rouge looks stunning in 3d:)

it's a pitty that so many people dislike 3d and that obviously affects to the interest of game/sim developers, ISI also. I think it's partly because of shutter glasses, which spoil the image with flashing and stuttering. And partly cause only racing games benefit from the 3rd dimension, not strategy or first person shooters which are the most popular.
    but with passive 3d setup and a racing game the 3d is a real joy and I wouldn't go back to 2d

10. Ball Bearing Turbo

Ball Bearing Turbo Registered

If you can stay capped at 60fps, it's going to be the same as playing on a regular 60hz LCD in 2D anyway. Once SLI is back up and running properly, that probably won't be an issue :)

11. kopytek

kopytek Registered

for me even that doesn't work :(

12. zuikki1

zuikki1 Registered

how you make a passive 3d setup for PC? I have found only new LG Tv:s has option for passive 3d classes- no monitors in market or projectors either. And what external? program you need to use to get rfactor2 to view 3d as passive setup?

13. Thomas

Thomas Registered

can anybody explain how to make use of the tridef 3d software with rfactor2? I have full version coming with my LG 3D Display (D2342P, passiv). I tried to make a profile for rfactor in the tridef-ignition software and selected the rfactor2.exe as the executable but theres no 3d effect in game. Did i miss something?

I think the problem is that i have to start the game from the tridef-ignition software to have the effect but thats not possible cause rf2 has to be started from the launcher... It would be great to see this game in 3d.

Any suggestions?

@vilivili

it seems you also have a passive 3d display? how did you get it to work, iz3d or tridef?

@zuikki1

with the LG display i experienced a really great 3d feeling through movies. Just have a look at this monitor (D2342P), its just great. i used the shutter method earlier with nvidia 3d vision and every evening i had headache cause of the shutter. of course some people have no probs but it really frustrated me. so i switched to a passiv solution and its really as god as the nvidia thing if not better. The display is circular polarized so that means you can turn your head without loosing the 3d effect.LG call it "Cinema-3D". older polarisation techniques couldn't do that.

I use tridef-MediaPlayer for movies (no need if you plug your display with hdmi) and tridef-ignition for games.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2012
  14. zuikki1

zuikki1 Registered

Well thank you for clearing answer! I think I wanna try this cinema 3d for sure as I don´t like the shutter classes- I hope a solutiun to be found for tridef to work with Rfactor2. please inform when you find. :)

15. vilivili

vilivili Registered

I use LG D2342P with tridef software (came with the screen). I am starting the game (launchrfactor.exe) from tridef ignition software and when the game is running I enabled virtual 3d in tridef options (pressed "0" and in options enabled virtual 3d).

there's no 3d effect without virtual 3d, don't know why... and virtual 3d produces not so good 3d image, that's why I wish there's enable 3d option built in rFactor2

16. vilivili

vilivili Registered

from 2d to 3d (passive) you only need to
    1. a passive screen (D2342P for example)
    2. glasses
    3. software (I think there's only 2 to go, tridef or iz3d)

Don't know if there's other manufacturers offering passive 3d displays today. I bought my display nearly 6 months ago and at that time lg was the only option. All those previously mentioned (glasses and tridef-software) came with the display.
    hardware doesn't matter (3d worked with my old ati4870) but running tridef software together with latest games will cost some fps of course, so actually at least a decent cpu is needed.

17. Ball Bearing Turbo

Ball Bearing Turbo Registered

Don't passive solutions cut your horizontal resolution in half? That wouldn't be too pretty....

18. Thomas

Thomas Registered

your right, it does. but thats not a big deal (for me). I cant even see any difference.

19. vilivili

vilivili Registered

yes it does. The truth is that if one only prefers gorgeous image quality then 2d is the way to go.
    3d as it is today is a compromise, no matter whether it's passive or active technology.

As I posted earlier, I think 3d really makes sense in driving games. Well, for me the horizontal resolution cut does't mean the graphics are not pretty anymore. There are still plenty of modern effects on the screen which make the modern look so the resolution isn't all and that's why it's a minor thing to me.

If the image quality is important then I recommend to test before buying.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2012
  20. bigtabs

bigtabs Registered

Sadly, that's not quite true. While the framerate is identical there is a bit of extra input latency involved in rendering 3D. Also, for me personally it is a choice between running at 120hz or 60hz. Quite a perceptible change. I do love 3D though, and will probably continue to play it that way even if there is a bit of lag.

Regarding passive and half-res:
    Halving the horizontal res for passive is a prety good compromise. With page-flipped we're getting a virtual supersampling which means nicer IQ than 2D, but passive should result in a comparable IQ to the original 2D. It's because each eye has a different set of data that your brain then combines to form the whole image.

In 2D you get 1920x1080 pixels for both eyes.
    In 3D pageflipped you get 3840x1080 pixels for both eyes. (hence higher IQ)
    In 3D passive you get 1920x1080 pixels for both eyes (no quality loss from 2D)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2012