Steering vibration

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Andrea Terzi, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Andrea Terzi

Andrea Terzi Registered

Hi everyone, I'm modding a F1 2017 car using Physic Calculator .ods from Dev Corner. As title says, the steering wheel of my car has some strange vibration as speed goes up. You can feel the feeling of having a little flatspot also if tyres are new and when you ride a kerb the ffb is really hard. I've tryed many things, like changing caster, kingpin, scrub etc... but nothing had work. Don't know why using T500 steering wheel increase this problem.
    Thanks for help

2. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Does it help if you step by step raise the value of the entry NominalMaxSteeringTorque= in the hdv file?

3. Andrea Terzi

Andrea Terzi Registered

Yes, when I raise it the vibration become a lot smoother

4. Bernd

Bernd Registered

A friend once told me, that the steering in rfactor 2 is very sensitive and that the used suspension and steering geometry sometimes can cause such a behaviour.
    You can try to change the xyz values of the steering and other values in the physics spreadsheet, to get a better ffb.
    Or, and this is the easier way, if possible, raise the value of the NominalMaxSteeringTorque=, until you have no vibrations anymore but still a good ffb.

5. Marin Racing Dynamics

Marin Racing Dynamics Registered

im passing a mr2GT from rf1 to rf2, when the engine starts my steering wheels vibrates a lot.
    the problem was that i generate chassis.ini in OnlineTools, i checked and i found that, some suspensions attachs have a damper and a spring value, tey where to low even like 30 times less, so i decided to change it, and the vibration disapears

6. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Honestly said, i would not recommend to edit the files, that the tool generates, by hand. The chassis.ini that you get is calculated with the same formula as the physics spreadsheet uses. And the spring and damper values are necessary to benefit the full flex chassis and also the new steering system. You better should use the in the tool sites written way to get rid of that steering wheel vibrations.
    Or check your pm file, if the steering maybe has a strange geometry.

7. Marin Racing Dynamics

Marin Racing Dynamics Registered

upload_2018-2-8_10-9-53.png

this the original pm file of the car in RF1, the red lines are the steering geometry, i want to understand:
    X- how RF2 takes the old geometry, i mean in RF2 they would be the TIE RODS? for TOE adjustments?
    because i want to change the geomtry to mmy own design maybe % antiackerman

8. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Yes, i would suppose that the tie rods (red) are used to adjust the toe, like it is in reality.
    When i look at the position of the tie rods in your picture, i would suspect that they are not taken from real world geometry values.
    The inner points of the rods are too close together and the outer points are too close to the wheels center, for my taste.
    Maybe that causes the vibrations that you have had.