Steering settings

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by rstemm, May 21, 2017.

1. rstemm

rstemm Registered

I'm looking for assistance with getting my steering properly set. An explanation of "Steering Wheel Range" in Controls,Wheel Range (Lock) in Garage, and Steering Ratio would help. I have an old Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2.0, the model with no FFB. More importantly the range is about 240 degrees. I have played around with the numbers in the Controls and Garage and entered 240 degrees, but the car still doesn't seem to steer realistically. Steering Ratio doesn't do much. I'm doing oval tracks with the ISI stock car package. Currently there is a very fine margin between oversteering and understeering on the turns, where a 10 degree turn puts me onto the skirt. It is very hard to control over such a small range of degrees. Any help is much appreciated.

2. qusimano

qusimano Registered

Sadly you cant get a realistic behaviour of the car with that wheel, it doesn't have enough degree of rotation to mimic the wheel of the real car...you can try to set higher steer lock value if the car seems to not turn enough( this value control how many degree the tires would turn when you turn the wheel to the max), but the car can become twitchy, because wheel tires turn more but you have not enough degree of rotation to control the input precisely...that's why you need a wheel whit at least 900 degree of rotation.

ebeninca likes this.
  3. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

qusimano is correct.

4. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

You won't regret upgrading your wheel. If you really are into racing sims, a FFB wheel with 900 degree rotation is a must.

Save some money. A 2nd hand G27 should be available for 150€ or less.

5. qusimano

qusimano Registered

For oval racing you can lower the steerlock, the car became more predictable, but you need to turn the wheel more