Steering rattle for some cars.

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Navigator, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hi guys,

"Back in the days" I made new chassis for some cars.
    Looking back now, most of them steer nice but a few are more "violent". By that I mean some bumps give a "clack" in the wheel (G27) and with one of the chassis, even under braking.
    Most of them steer really nice; good feel in it, good ffb and no clack.

Back then, I was able to solve it. Nowadays, with me being able to hide my own eastern eggs, I have no clue of how I did that.
    The floor is not touching the ground and in the back of my head, there is something about the new steering lines in the .hdv but I can't seem to fix it still.

Here is an example, never mind the values; it was wrong and just a test thing I found somewhere:

NominalMaxSteeringTorque=4
    TurnsLockToLock=2.5
    SteeringShaftBaseLeft=(0,0.158544,-0.505)
    SteeringShaftBaseRight=(0,0.158544,-0.505)
    SteeringShaftAxis=(0,0,-1)
    SteeringInnerTable=(0,3981274711634,0.149,-0.505): (-0,2878725288366,0.149,-0.505)
    SteeringInnerTable=(0,3705637355817,0,149,-0,505): (-0,3154362644183,0,149,-0,505)
    SteeringInnerTable=(0,343,0,149,-0,505): (-0,343,0,149,-0,505)
    SteeringInnerTable=(0,3154362644183,0,149,-0,505): (-0,3705637355817,0,149,-0,505)
    SteeringInnerTable=(0,2878725288366,0.149,-0.505): (-0,3981274711634,0.149,-0.505)
    SteerLockCaption ="WHEEL RANGE (LOCK)"
    SteerLockRange=(16,0,12)

The two fat values; if you bring them closer together, the steering gets more torque and wider apart; less feel. I played around with that, but no luck.
    I'm not sure if it must be in there, maybe some offset, ride hight, collision thing or anything else.

Is there someone who has experienced this and still knows the answer? Where to look for?

2. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I have the exact felling/noise from some Formula cars ! The FFB (CSWv2) rattles pretty hard under brakes but also feels quite light elsewhere .
    I have no clue about any of those settings you posted or what or how to do anything with FFB except adjust what we have in the UI :(
    I will follow this thread in the hope that someone will have some answers for even the noobiest player as myself .

3. Pauli Partanen

Pauli Partanen Registered

I had similar problems in past, and it went away when I made new chassis file.

Is your chassis new flexible or PM? If it was flexible was it scratch made or from onlinetools or from another mod?

Maybe you could test mod with different chassis file to see if there is difference.

4. Navigator

Navigator Registered

The chassis is scratch made new flex plus new steering system (like above, the 5 lines).
    I make all my cars from scratch (well, physics that is) and some have this problem, some don't.......
    Note; I made a calculator tool for the steering system in excel so all the values should be calculated the same.

Putting in another chassis (plus parts of the HDV to go with them) didn't work out all that well for now so I couldn't test that further. Driving was off, but the rattle was less though. But I couldn't get it to drive properly.
    Looking for the differences now; besides measurements; there are none.........weird.

5. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Still looking at those differences; I always had trouble seeing things properly in the ptool mode. Mostly looking from the side to the wheel; the two upper mountings on the spindle come together there as do the two lower ones so they should have the same point.
    But they are not at the same point of course. Also; the steering has another point.

Now to get that more visible for myself, I made (yet another) excel with just the Y- and Z values from those mountings. Looking from the side; I didn't have much use for the X- value.
    Never mind the spindle; that one shouldn't even be in there as that one is not from local offset, but body mounting.
    All values are local offset from the spindle and never mind (again) the position that much, just look at how they compare (and still a bit the position......)
    The left one is the good one, the right one is the rattly one:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/rp1e4tuzp6chp87/Screenshot_19-04-17_00_09.png?dl=0

So I go and change it towards the left picture; I have no clue what my thinking was with the right one........OR I have already played around to much and this is not the original anymore but just some test thing I forgot to get out of there......
    I don't know, but I will let you know ;)

6. Jokeri

Jokeri Registered

Why not use the spreadsheet that borda made?

7. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Because that one is not clear to me.
    For instance; what to fill in and where?
    Suspension values (mountings) from chassis.ini or pm? In both cases they are off; some have to be carboy, others local offset.
    The values I get out of that, are weird.

I havent used it for a while now, so I'm not very sure what goes wrong, but every time I used it; it was a real pain in the butt.
    Questions about that were never answered, so I made my own.

Its no problem; I've got the same but its Excell and there are about 20 of them instead of one elaborate ;)
    Some things I got extra; total drag or downforce generated by separate parts with low or high settings so you can look for the balance and so on. Making Excels is a bit of a weird hobby of mine it seems ;)

8. Jokeri

Jokeri Registered

So you didn't figure out how to use Borda's spreadsheet but instead you made your own, hmm...

Is the current one (one that you are taking about in this topic) a conversion or all scratch made by you? If its conversion can you share the files so I can help you with the spreadsheet?

9. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Comes down to that, yes.
    As I said; I don't remember every little thing about it, but filling in the proper values and from where (hdv, chassis.ini, pm, local offset or body value) was a real bitch and after asking about 5 times and just no answer; I gave up.

As I build the physics in PTool, I don't need it that much and for the little things (and calculations) I made Excels.
    Those are scratch made; no use in converting something I don't understand fully.

10. Jokeri

Jokeri Registered

Offsets and body values are calculated, not filled in Bordas spreadsheet.
    If you fill the data from existing car to the spreadsheet it should output identical chassis.ini what you have in the existing car.
    What are the front suspension,steering,spindle and wheels locations? can you share those just to compare my values to your steeringvalues?
    What is the scrub radius in your mod? make it close to zero, large scrub radius can cause vibration..

11. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Registered

I been working to get a more linear steering, and one of the key factors was the height and alignment of the steering arms. It depends on the characteristics of the car, if it will reach hight speed or if it will be a turismo.

P.S. I would love to se in ptool the suspension geometry as it was displayed in Suspension Editor, to have a better idea of what are you building.