Steering problems, and awkward FFB feel.

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by R0flcopter, Apr 11, 2014.

1. R0flcopter

R0flcopter Registered

Hello, i just got rFactor2, I've been playing iRacing for some time now. I do have some issues with the steering, and the force feedback.

The wheel I'm using is the Thrustmaster Rallye GT. The version with the clutch pedal. It's an awesome wheel for the price, bought it primarily for the clutch pedal. The thing is, it's only 270degrees of rotation, in iRacing it works just how i should, but in rFactor it's a totally different story! I have tried to tweak the FFB, sensitivity and in game wheel rotation, but to no luck. I have no way of saving a slide/drift, the car just snaps when i try to counter steer. This makes for an really unpleasant drive... Since sliding happens a lot when traction and ESP are of. To be able to drive a car with this wheel i need both ESP and traction control all the way up, which slows the car down by a lot! Another thing with the steering, right now i have my sensitivity set all the way down, do be able to control my car in a high speed straight. After I hit a certain spot, the turning of the car turns drastically more than what my wheel is. What I mean by this is, I can't find a good sensitivity for my wheel, to get it to turn progressively. In iRacing there is a setting that changes the sensitivity according to how fast you are going. In slow speed the sensitivity is low, and in slow speed, its high.

Another problem i have is pure with the feel of the FFB. When i turn, and this goes for every turn there is in this game, and with every car i have driven, it feels like the front tires are loosing traction. If I try to "correct" my car, **** just goes to hell, I'm not really able to explain what happens, but I usually end up in a railing or tire wall. If I try not to correct, I and up having the most awkward feeling turn ever. I can't recall it feeling like this when I tested out the demo and fell totally in love.

Another game where this isn't a problem is Live for Speed, where I can easily drift, and the force feedback and steering feels right.

Could anyone give me some guidelines?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

First, this looks like a troll post with the game comparisons and thumbs down. Just saying.

When you turn your wheel axis sensitivity right down it does exactly what you're saying: slows it down around centre, but it speeds up again as you approach full lock so you can get to your setup steering lock. So first thing to consider might be lowering your setup steering lock. At very low speeds (pit navigation) the game will give you more lock to help with exiting garage bays etc. so to some extent you can ignore that when setting your lock. With that lowered, you can probably raise the sensitivity again to get a more linear steering response throughout the wheel range.

The speed sensitivity you speak of from iRacing is called exactly that in rF2 - speed sensitivity. You'll find it on the controls page. Personally I've always put it on 0 and I suspect a lot of others do, but steering changes can take quite a long time to adjust to so if it's too sensitive for you at speed turn that setting up.

For a long time with rF1 I was using a black MOMO with 240° so I understand the compromises, but there's no reason you shouldn't be able to set things up to work the same way as other games. And that's probably the main thing, because it really can take a long time to adjust to different settings/wheels.

3. R0flcopter

R0flcopter Registered

You are a lifesaver! It works a lot better now! But now SoftTH does not seems to work unless I'm running in windowed mode...

But I still fell that this game is an over steer feast when I'm running with no aids, and a under steer feast when I'm running with ESP and traction control, even on low...

4. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

Default setups are not always good. Get a setup for the car your trying as it will feel much better. It also depends what car your driving and if the track is green...that is no rubber. Add some ai to put rubber on the track

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

5. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Exaggerated yaw? What you got that set to?

6. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

"After I hit a certain spot, the turning of the car turns drastically more than what my wheel is"

It sounds like you have inverted ffb atm. My brother had that once and it felt horrible.

Change it like this: go to controller settings, hit "detect", it tells your the wheel file name, you don't probably have a file with that name yet but create one (change one of the existing files to that name), after that change this value in that ini. file "Steering effects strength"... if that value was + change it to - and if - then to +. Save the file and load it in game. Use that controller file and you should feel the ffb as it supposed to be.

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

rFactor 1, rFactor 2, GTR, Race 07/Race Injection, GT Legends, Game Stock Car, Formula Truck, etc. all played with a 240 degree Logitech Momo Racing and a 270 degree Logitech Momo Force. Everything always worked fine.

If you are trying to pack a lot of in-game steering degrees into such a small amount of real-life steering lock (like you most likey need to do with these type of low lock wheels) then you will get an overly twitchy/sensitive steering ratio, and in that case you should lower the steering sensitivty to something non-linear to help make up for it. In pre-rF2 ISI-engine based sims I lowered steering sensitivty from the linear 50% to 45%, then 40%, then I settled on 35%, however in rF2 fully linear is 100% rather than 50% and therefore 70% should, in theory, equate to the previously mentioned 35% setting.

Other than that make sure speed-sensitive steering is fully off / 0%.

Also make sure you turn your wheel physically all the way right and then left, this sometimes helps with center calibration problems; a different problem to what you've reported but give it a shot anyways :).

Finally, like others have mentioned, make sure you don't have your FFB reversed. Reversed FFB will help your wheel turn in the direction you are turning, as if a ghost is turning the wheel for you, rather than loading up and resisting your input. This will feel really messed up the moment you move and add any steering regardless of speed though, rather than just at certain speeds.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2014
  8. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

It sure sounds as if the FFB is reversed. If you have never experienced wrong direction of FFB before it will blow your mind. (for a bit)

9. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

First of all, I definatelly would not try to change in-game sensitivity of your wheel. Keep it linear all the way and just play with steering lock. Yes, it will be more sensitive but consistent.