Steering problem with the new update!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gatien, Mar 5, 2023.

1. Gatien

Gatien Registered

Hello,

I would like to post a new message, because I have a problem with my driving. When I drive my cars, the driving is not at all the same as before, the steering wheel movements are much too fast, it's unplayable for several days. I'm on the throttle. I try to change things in the parameters but I can't find the right setting to find my driving like before... I was told that the new Rf2 update changed the way I drive but I can't find the solution, can you help me to fix this problem please.

2. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Can you share some details about your controllers?

3. Gatien

Gatien Registered

It’s à Xbox 360 controller

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Try choosing WHEEL as opposed to the gamepad option. They have implemented a new controller routine for gamepads and supposedly choosing the WHEEL option turns off the new features.

5. Comante

Comante Registered

No he just need to read release notes.
    • Reworked controller and keyboard controls to default to a new, improved steering sensitivity filter that simulates vehicle forces
    • Replaced inaccessible steering rate configuration with steering aggression slider to control how aggressively the new controller filter allows turn-in
    • Reworked steering configuration page to replace wheel-only settings with non-wheel relevant settings when a non-wheel device is in use
    • Reintroduced adjustable steering rates
    • Added selection for gamepad steering filters
    • Made both steering filters adjustable independently
    • Added snappiness slider to steering rates configuration – 0% is original behaviour, higher % is more snappy without having to increase steering rates
    • Made new steering sensitivity filter more direct

pkelly likes this.
  6. Gatien

Gatien Registered

I thank you for giving me the note! But it doesn't tell me how I can get back to the way I was driving before the update :)

7. Comante

Comante Registered

You have more tools now than before to tweak your controller profile, so I think with a bit of patience and trial and error you will be able to restore your previous capacity. From what I read, chances are that after a bit of time you will prefer the new method.

8. Camav

Camav Registered

As already mentioned, after the last update. You have more tools now than ever before to fine-tune your controller profile, it just takes a little patience and trial and error and you'll be able to restore your ability. I'm an xbox controller user, I spent a few hours adjusting the controller, and it was perfect, better than the old method, even my times improved compared to the old filter.

The settings I use, if you want to use it as a base, feel free to change it according to your personal preferences:

Force Feedback Settings

Type: Game Pad
    Smoothing 7
    Car Specific multiplier 100%
    Minimum Steering torque 25.0% "This function makes the controller vibrate, with, kerbs, collision, bump"
    Force feedback strength 7% "This one makes the controller vibrate when starting the engine, it is constant"

Steering Settings

Steering rate 15%
    Return rate multiplier 75%
    Snap factor 5%
    Filter type Modern
    Steering aggression 130%

Input Calibration

Steering sensitivity 15%
    steering dead zone 5%

Throttle sensitivity 10%

Brake sensitivity 10%

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
  9. Gatien

Gatien Registered

Thanks a lot for the settings, I have to admit that I'm really struggling to find my settings from before! I will try yours

10. Jubes

Jubes Registered

I'm finding it much different from before too. I steer with the controller d-pad (and make fine adjustments with the analogue sticks) but I'm finding tapping the d-pad makes the steering very jerky. It wasn't before. I've tried adjusting settings, including steering sensitivity and the yaw setting, but not made much of an improvement.
    Maybe I need to keep trying, and I'll try your settings above.
    Another thing that's started happening is the d-pad steer right button sometimes doesn't fully work. I assumed it was a faulty controller, so I tried an old one and the same happened. I wondered if this could be because of the update, and if anyone else has had this problem?

11. Six LNii

Six LNii Registered

I've had the same issue, although I'm not a gamepad/controller user for rFactor 2. I'm using a Logitech Keyboard for rFactor 2 as I have been since I bought the game, and since the update I've had this same issue.