steering lock

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by REVHED666, Aug 7, 2012.

1. REVHED666

REVHED666 Registered

hey all sorry if this has been discussed earlier but just wish to ask question about steering lock. is there a setting i'm missing somewhere as i seem to have to set each car that ive tried steering lock to around 10deg or else it's just too touchy and i dont use hardly any of the available steering range. i'm no expert but dont F1 and most cars use locks around 20 deg or a bit under except at unusual venues like Monaco? Using 10deg i have no trouble getting around the track and on motec still dont use 100% lock though it is difficult negotiating some pit lanes. i imagine the difficulty negotiating pit lanes is because the setting "Steer Ratio Speed" now defaults to zero. so am i missing anything? G25 wheel

2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Inset the steering sensitivity (the setting under calerbration -top left ) to 85 - 90 % , everything's works fine then

3. Magus

Magus Registered

What controller are you using? What are its settings within windows or its manufacturer application?

Edit: sorry just seen G25

What are your profiler & ingame settings?

Edit 2: Have you tried calibrating the wheel within the in game 'settings' option? i.e finding centre, full left & full right?

Also have the 'Vehicle Set' ticked/greened in the settings too so that the game will set the appropriate steering lock dependent on car. I'm also attaching my logitech profiler if it helps.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2012
  4. Favio

Favio Registered

I'm using 240 degrees on the wheel, and steering lock between 8 and 10 degrees depends on the car, remember that the less you turn the wheel faster you go ...

5. REVHED666

REVHED666 Registered

if i was on a gamepad then i certainly would use this setting but not with a wheel mate thanks

6. REVHED666

REVHED666 Registered

wheel calibrates correctly

7. REVHED666

REVHED666 Registered

i prefer 320 deg lock on all my sims. havent had a problem until rF2. the more i drive rF2 just seems really underdone and unfinished eg: tyre temps useless, tachos dont even align on some cars. it will probably be fixed. ie: it bloody better lolol. are there any cars at the moment that are considered finished and worth spending time finding a setup?

8. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Steering lock differs depending on your wheel rotation settings. It also makes a difference if you choose to allow the game to make changes for each different car type. This last bit usually changes the rotation of the wheel and not the lock. If you are running with lock around 10, I am guessing your wheel rotation is no more than 180 degrees. Make sure in windows you set the wheel to higher values, such as 540 degrees and put a tick mark in the box that says allow games to make changes to settings.

9. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

I believe you are talking about wheel rotation, not steering lock. :)

10. REVHED666

REVHED666 Registered

you are correct it is 320 deg wheel rotation. i coud set my wheel to 540 deg or more of rotation with higher lock. it would reduce sensitivity but that would just enable me to turn the steering more than i need to and just scrub off speed and wear tyres excessively.

11. JGraf

JGraf Registered

"finished" ...no.
    "worth spending time on" ...for this bata build, yes.
    if you plan to compete or identify setup bugs, you should to attempt to build a setup, for the next beta build release, expect to build new setups.

12. Favio

Favio Registered

It is always better to have a proper setup, even when they update cars in the future, at least you will have a setup that armed you have to make not many changes.
    Regarding the degree wheel, no matter how many degrees you use, is a personal taste, the important thing is the steering lock, the more degrees you use on the wheel, more steering lock you'll need and vice versa. If you are using 200 degrees of steering wheel, fences probably need between 6 and 8 degrees of steering lock. This is just my personal experience and varies according to the tastes of each pilot. But again, you need not turn the steering wheel too much if you want to be fast, just enough, so it is recommended to use a steering lock low. Greetings.

pd: sorry about my english, not my native languaje.

13. REVHED666

REVHED666 Registered

sorry guys but i dont see how steering lock is affected by wheel rotation or vice versa. race drivers can only turn the wheel so far without releasing their grip. yet some tracks require greater amount of lock to negotiate yet drivers turn the wheel the same maximum amount at each track. eg using 18deg @ 400 rotation @ spa then same driver does not use 25 deg @ 555 rotation @ monaco. it is still 400 rotation to yield 25 deg lock. do u ever see a driver release his grip to turn the wheel an extra 150 rotation? never. this is my point... i think lol, very late here

14. Favio

Favio Registered

No problem pal, different points of view.

zaphman likes this.
  15. JGraf

JGraf Registered

it's a ratio thing, changing one affects the other.

16. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I use 900, but with cars that have steering ratio of 17:1 or faster (lock 25 degrees or more) it seems way too fast for me.

I like to run historic formulas with 20 degrees of lock and 900 degrees of wheel turning, feels more natural that way.

5.4 turns in real car and 28:1 ratio is starting to be something good for me with 900 degrees wheel, that still gives around 16 degrees of lock with that car and lot of sideways torque fun :)

There are no adjustable steering lock in my cars, if I want 1:1 steering I have to limit amount my wheels turn. If I use more steering I'm cheating, like installing fast steering rack and that is not quite good when trying to get similar feel to reality as much as possible.

Same with FOV, I use fairly low as monitor is just window to virtual world that has limitation in size.

When my logi wheel turns 1 degrees and I get same steering of vehicle as when turning real car wheel 1 degrees in reality, then I believe that I get authentic feel to car and that matters for me more than racing or any other thing when setting steering lock.

If car's wheels turn 36 degrees and someone uses 240 degrees, it certainly will remove some of the feel from vehicles I'm working with, non PAS older american vehicles were such that drivers that thought that they would keep both hand at wheels all the time would have ended out from road quite fast, turn, turn, after the turn as you sail this boat down the main street.

17. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Wheel rotation and steering lock go hand in hand. With higher rotation on the wheel, you will need more lock to achieve the same turning radius with the same amount of wheel turn. This doesn't mean you are going to be using the entire 540 or even 900 degrees, it just makes things a little less twitchy. If you like twitchy, then by all means, keep the small rotation and low lock, but don't expect to be able to make the really tight pit exits without backing up.

Just try and set your wheel to a higher rotation and then increase the lock setting as well to get the turning you want without having to let go of the wheel and see what happens. The worse that could happen is you don't like it and you change back, but be open minded about it and give it a try to see if it feels better. After all, you were the one asking for help with the wheel lock and saying anything more was too twitchy. We are just trying to offer our help is all.

BTW, my wheel is set to 360 and I typically use around 18 degrees of wheel lock on the Senna 88 mod and I never have to turn the wheel more than half way around.

18. Cangrejo

Cangrejo Registered

240º, 320º ... That's simulation? : Confused: . I put 1080º in my t500rs and normally does not change the steering lock in ISI mods.

19. REVHED666

REVHED666 Registered

3 hours sleep and i wake up thinking about this...you guys make good points about simulation with the older cars and using realistic amounts of rotation i might give them a try when i wake up. but in the Nissan GTR i only need 10deg lock to get around a tight track like palm beach it just seems wierd. 6 to 10deg is a setting i would have used on NASCAR ovals in rF1. will have a tool around later thanks guys

20. Favio

Favio Registered

Steering lock is also affected by the type of configuration that you used in your car, if you drive with an understeer setup probably need more steering lock (wich I don't recommend if you want to be fast), if you drive with an oversteer setup probably need less steering lock.
    This last one is most used by fast drivers, normally they have cars with a little bit of oversteer.
    I'm always talking about RWD cars, wich are most difficult to drive and set.
    That's all information that I can share about this thread, basing me on my experience with simulators and real cars. Greetings :)