Steering lock is gone in Thrustmaster T150

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dongwoo Kang, May 28, 2020.

1. Dongwoo Kang

Dongwoo Kang Registered

Hi!!
    I've recently noticed that my T150 doesn't have steering lock anymore.. Before I enter the session, it works correctly (ex. 450 deg for MP4/8) but when I start a session, it won't lock. The wheel is synchronized nicely, and ffb works fine, the virtual wheel rotates correctly, but the wheel can exceed the rotation angle....
    Thanx!!

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You might want to back up your controller.JSON (or whatever custom file you're using) and try loading the preset again, and seeing what it does. Very strange the vehicle set works fine in the UI and then stops when in the car, something has gone wrong there.

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Make sure first the wheel is set to 900° in your windows thrustmaster control panel. Then make sure the check box for Vehicle Set is checked.

4. Dongwoo Kang

Dongwoo Kang Registered

Thank you, I tried both methods, but I'm not really sure about the results.
    It doesn't really lock the way I think it used to, I don't remember it feeling this elastic and soft. It used to lock firmly. I can still turn a few inches beyond the steering angle (I could turn more but I'm scared I'm going to damage some internal mechanisms), and it returns to the maximum rotation angle when I let go...

5. mkolya

mkolya Registered

Hi, Dongwoo! I have the same problem on my week-old thrusmaster t150. Have you solved this problem yet?

6. Dongwoo Kang

Dongwoo Kang Registered

Not yet... Like I mentioned previously, the wheel does return to the maximum rotation angle after being turned beyond it, but I'm not feeling any apparent "lock" like I used to. But it's not really bothering me too much, since I rarely have to rotate the wheel to its limit unless I'm exiting the pits, or at the hairpin at Monaco...

I do have an idea, try reducing the minimum torque, I have mine set quite high, and if that's the reason, it won't bother me too much. I don't have lock in Assetto Corsa either, it will lock, but the game won't sync the rotation angle per car as RF2 would for me, so I set it at 900 in the CP and in the game.

7. Comante

Comante Registered

Ok, I don't have your same wheel, BUT maybe I understood your problem:
    There are 2 kind of lock in some wheels, HARD and SOFT. HARD lock is a mechanical block that prevent rotation of the wheel past a certain degree, this is different depending the model, but maybe is set to 360 degrees or 180 degrees (in DFP was something like that).
    If you select any other rotation angle that is greater than that, then the lock is SOFT in other words, are just the motors trying to oppose your attempt to turn past the set point.
    Now, in RF2 USUALLY it is recommended to put the wheel at his maximum rotation capability and then let RF2 dictate the correct steering angle for each car. But you can set it the other way around, but I don't think you will enjoy it in the long run.. but yes, in this way if your wheel has a HARD lock, then it will work. A car that usually turned hard lock on on my wheel was karts, I remember the DFP made a "clack" noise when it engaged.

8. Dongwoo Kang

Dongwoo Kang Registered

Thank you for the info!! Now.. T150s don't have hard lock according to some google google searches, so I think I have the answer... It was the minimum torque. The minimum torque was set to have as much resistance as the soft lock, and that's why it felt like there was no lock at all. Bit disappointing, but I want to keep the minimum torque at 15%... Just feels right this way.