Steering Control Arm

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Prairie, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Prairie

Prairie Registered

Haven't modded since F1C. But when I did, I remember not being able to place the steering control arms behind the axis of the front tires in the susp.pm file. This was for an open wheel series I was modding for, and several of the teams' cars had their steering mechanisms behind the front axis, as is shown in the image:

View attachment 605

Is it still not possible to define this type of steering design in the PM files of rFactor 2? Just curious. I remember that when I tried to model them correctly when I turned the steering wheel left, the wheels pointed right, when I turned the steering wheel right, the wheels pointed left. Thanks.

2. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

I've done that without problems in rF1 at least. Haven't yet tried in rF2.

3. websta

websta Registered

I am trying to achieve this type of arrangement. Also with top and bottem 'A frame' legs and a damper/spring and brakehose.
    this will be difficult as I cant yet drive the car on the track (just crashes) I can only view my vehicle in the pit from the various cameras.

4. jtbo

jtbo Registered

It is possible, I have currently at least one car with such config in rF2.

In rF1 steering forces were reversed, so FFB strength needed to be negative, can't remember now how it was with rF2, but certainly there was nothing odd or challenging, I think that I did not change anything from FFB, maybe it works now automatically correct way too?

Now that I think about it, I doubt that I have any car in rF2 that actually would have steering arms placed to front of the car, it seem to be quite often behind front tires in street cars.

5. dbens1

dbens1 Registered

Have done that in both RF1 and RF2 and the car has steered correctly.

6. Prairie

Prairie Registered

@ktbo Back in the day, in F1C I think that the control arm was kind of hard coded to be ahead of the plane of the front axis. But I ended up simply modeling a front located control arm instead since I was never able to get a rearward to work. But, I'll just try fiddling with the numbers again and see.

On another problem... I recall that the physics engine wasn't able to model a pull rod suspension. By default the game used a push rod suspension. Back then I tried to reverse the parameters, just as with the rearward located steering control arms, but that didn't work for the pull rod suspension at that time either. But in the mean time, is rFactor 2 now capable of properly modeling an F1 style pull rod suspension? Thanks.

7. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I'm terrible with .pm file and what it makes possible and what not, but you probably remember Bristow's posts about physics files in F1C?

Here is his documents hosted for rF, which should be more helpful than my guesswork:
    http://www.bozracing.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=79&sid=227515875d6444f93a0e5179085ffa47

Sadly I can't provide any better answer, but hopefully others that have more advanced understanding about pushrod system and suspensions in general, could provide definite answer to this question of yours.

8. Prairie

Prairie Registered

Ahh... I haven't browsed Bristow's excellent posts in a while. Thanks jtbo.