[SOLVED] SteamCMD 64bit Dedicated Server V1112

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Mangoletsi, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Mangoletsi

Mangoletsi Registered

@Christopher Elliott @Marcel Offermans

I posted about this in the wrong forum, so I'm reposting here.

The 32bit rFactor Dedicated.exe is working fine, but the 64bit rFactor Dedicated.exe is not creating the CustomPluginVariables.JSON file

It's missing the other 3 plugins, in which one of them is the Steam Plugin which control's the announce feature for the Steam MatchMaker, so the dedicated server doesn't get listed.

The only work around at this time, is to run the 32bit version first, to create the CustomPluginVariables.JSON which activates the Steam Plugin. Untitled.jpg

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Was this a fresh steamcmd server install, or did you update it? I thought from where you originally posted you updated it and then it stopped working. I did the same without issue, and judging by the number of 1112 servers online I'd say it worked for others too. I wonder what went wrong with yours.

3. Mangoletsi

Mangoletsi Registered

Mine was a fresh Windows 10 installation, and fresh install of SteamCMD. I think most people have upgraded servers, so the CustomPluginVariables.JSON already exhisted, where as a fresh install had to create a new one.

There seems to be a new problem now, which is happening on both the SteamCMD and the Host. When you connect to either server with a virtual ride/custom skin, the server keeps disconnecting, reconnecting. in the chat window, then eventually crashes or chucks you off the server.

UpDate 06/12/2018;
    virtual ride/custom skin constant disconnect/reconnect loop, then either crash or disconnect from server is caused by the size of the custom skin. Any resolution over 2048x2048 seems to cause the problem. something you guys who race in online league's need to check if your having disconnect problems.

UpDate 10/12/2018;
    Finally got around to investigating further now. The problem is caused by the latest version of Windows 10 (v1809). It's removing the required runtimes that the 64bit server requires. On the previous version of Windows 10 (v1803) the runtime was still present, so you didn't have to install them when using the SteamCMD Dedicated Server.

So now @Marcel Offermans Setting Up a Dedicated Server Guide needs updating to include the instruction to install the runtimes.
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=553088396

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018 at 5:16 PM
  4. Mangoletsi

Mangoletsi Registered

How do I change this to solved?

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Above your first post, click Thread Tools, Edit Title.

This runtime removal is known, hence this sticky thread. Agree it's probably hard for people stuck on steam to know about it, and obviously doesn't spring to mind even for those of us aware of it (my only recent experience running servers is through an older windows server edition, so I've never seen how it manifests). It is random though, so some other people will do the same upgrade with no issue.

I wonder if the devs could test for runtime capability and throw up a message (or even prompt installation, given that the game comes with the runtime installers)... ?