Steam Workshop - Checking rfcmp's?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stan, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Stan

Stan Registered

Hi everybody,

It probably has been already asked/said (I didn't found) but why does the workshop keep checking the rfcmp's and not the installed content (rfm's), that force us to waste a lot of place on the harddrive, as finally you have the content twice?
    Could Studio-397 redirect the SteamWorkshop check process?
    Anyway thanks for everything and in advance for your relpies.

Stan.

2. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

While you are subscribed to a car or track mod Steam keeps your install in sync with the current versions. It checks them all the time.
    If a publisher removes the mod from steam, Steam will remove it from your install. If it's updated, Steam will automatically as long as your subscribed to that mod.

If you go to stem and un-subscribe to all the mods in your install, Steam want replace/ remove or update them. Then you can if you choose, delete all the rfcmp files from packages folder once you've installed them. Not doubling up on them.

It could be seen as a space saving method I guess but as the files that make up a mods now days are compressed into Mas. files having the two installed on your PC constitutes less space used then having one open files rFactor1 mod installed.

3. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Some of your mod install files are located: "steamapps\workshop\content\365960". Unsure if it is wise to delete them though, I just personally let Steam just do it's thing without my input.

4. Stan

Stan Registered

Hi guys, thanks for your answers...

@Woodee: Yes, some of my mods are located in"steamapps\workshop\content\365960", the ones from the workshop obviously; I install the others ("manuals") mods from the Packages directory, then I delete the rfcmp's, and when I open the launcher, in the Content tab, all mods are listed. And as soon as I erase a rfcmp from the workshop directory, steam download it again...

@D.Painter: "If you go to stem and un-subscribe to all the mods in your install, Steam want replace/ remove or update them. Then you can if you choose, delete all the rfcmp files from packages folder once you've installed them. Not doubling up on them."
    If I have to subscribe to download a package, install it manually and then un-subscribe to be able to remove the rfcmp's, I don't really see (at least, less) the point of the workshop.

"It could be seen as a space saving method I guess but as the files that make up a mods now days are compressed into Mas. files having the two installed on your PC constitutes less space used then having one open files rFactor1 mod installed."
    rF1 VLM-LeMans91: 61Mo and the same track in rF2 is 186Mo, surely it has been updated between the two versions, but also not sure there is a lot of compression from the .mas files packaging system. More a "packager" rather than a "compressor".

@Studio-397: So still, wouldn't it be more easy/efficient if Steam could check the rfm's only (as it does for the manually installed mods)?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  5. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Ah ok, I didn't know that.