Steam : witch mod have been updated ?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Mydriaz, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Mydriaz

Mydriaz Registered

Hi all,

When I launch Steam, I sometimes notice that one (or more) mod has been updated.
    I can see this on the download page under the name "rFactor2 - Workshop content" but I can't find witch mod is it exactly.
    Does anybody know how to get the name of that updated mod ?
    Thank you :).

2. muz_j

muz_j Registered

You could look at file modification stamps on the files in the "packages" and "installed" directories, after launching the rFactor 2 launcher. That would tell you.
    Alternatively the game's startup log might list them, after starting the rFactor 2 launcher, wait for the steam mod's to sync, then open the startup log file.
    ...that's two options. A 3rd would be to look at log files for Steam itself - but I'm unsure if that will show anything of any value.

3. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Would be nice if it said what mod is being updaded indeed, or at least updated mods should be moved to the top on the "Most Recent" tab

4. muz_j

muz_j Registered

Well it does when you fire up the launcher - it gives you a pop up box showing which mod's are being sync'ed with steam, but if there's only a couple and they get processed quickly, that can disappear pretty quickly.
    I do get what is being commented about though - Steam itself doesn't actually display which mod's are being updated. Personally it doesn't bother me - but it should be possible to figure it out if you really want to know (admittedly my suggestions previously aren't super quick or convenient - although you could write a simple script using vbscript or powershell simply enough).

5. Mydriaz

Mydriaz Registered

Thank you for your answers guys. I thougt I'd missed something more convenient as you say :).
    I have already seen the popup box in the launcher and looked at modification stamps on the files in "installed" directory.
    I do not feel able to write a script...
    Anyway, thank you very much.

6. muz_j

muz_j Registered

Funnily enough I've got an old vbscript that will pretty much do what you want. I haven't updated this and re-written it in powershell, but this will work - as is. save the code to a text file with a .vbs file extension. run it via the command line (although you can obviously put it into a batch file or cmd file, which is the same thing). and you could modify it as you see it :)

for execution I use the command - "cscript //nologo <script name>"
    - the nologo switch supresses the standard MS script execution header - giving you clean results.

#### Start of code ####

'On Error Resume Next
    set objArguments = wscript.arguments
    Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    Set objshell = WScript.CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")

'wscript.echo FileDir

Set FileDir = objFSO.GetFolder(objArguments.item(0)) ' >>> source file directory
    RecurseSwitch = lcase(objArguments.item(1)) ' >>> recurse switch: expected value of +r or -r

If RecurseSwitch = "+r" Then dd_recurse( FileDir )
    If RecurseSwitch = "-r" Then dd_norecurse( FileDir )

' ### FUNCTION SECTION ###

Function dd_norecurse(FileDir)
    'on error resume next

'wscript.echo ZipFile

on error resume next
    set Files = FileDir.Files
    set SubFolders = FileDir.Subfolders

For Each objFile in Files
    ' echo each file name as the script processes the file
    'wscript.echo objFile.Name

dd = cint(DateDiff("d", objFile.DateLastModified, Now))
    wscript.echo "Days Since File : " & objFile.Name & ", Modified = " & dd & vbcrlf
    Next
    End Function

Function dd_recurse(FileDir)
    'wscript.echo ZipFile

'on error resume next
    set Files = FileDir.Files
    set SubFolders = FileDir.Subfolders

For Each objFile in Files
    ' echo each file name as the script processes the file
    'wscript.echo objFile.Name

dd = cint(DateDiff("d", objFile.DateLastModified, Now))
    'wscript.echo "Days Since File : " & objFile.Name & ", Modified = " & dd & vbcrlf
    wscript.echo objFile.Name & ", " & dd & vbcrlf
    Next

for each folder in subfolders
    dd_recurse folder
    next
    set subfolders = nothing
    set files = nothing
    End Function

#### end of code ####

- as if you want a powershell version - I'd suggest starting by looking at the Microsoft script repository - which you can find here: https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter
    I use that by doing keyword searches, then use the filtering criteria to narrow things down, then review the results and find something that matches what you're looking for - or you might find something close, or just a snippet of example code.

...anyway my vbscript will give you a recursive list of file modification info for a given directory.

7. Mydriaz

Mydriaz Registered

Thank you muz_j for your code, that's very kind of you :).
    I'm going to use it as you explain above with a batch file to begin. I have had a quick look at the Microsoft page "Ressources de script pour les professionnels de l'informatique" as they translated it in french (...for For IT Professionals).
    I think it's beyond I can do so far :eek:.