Steam/Linux Mint/rFactor2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bryan Birtwell, May 26, 2016.

1. Bryan Birtwell

Bryan Birtwell Registered

Seeing that Steam runs on linux; does that mean that rFactor2 can be run through Steam on Linux Mint????

Sorry if this has been asked before... Search engine here is worthless.

Bryan

2. Wiggin

Wiggin Registered

No, by no i mean just because steam runs on Linux doesn't mean the game does as well.

Sent from my Nexus 7

3. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

You currently need to run Steam in a WINE bottle to do so. But don't expect your wheel or gamepad working like it does normallly within windows session ;)

4. Bryan Birtwell

Thanks... wishful thinking on my behalf.

Bryan

F3 Fanatics!

5. Bryan Birtwell

Thanks... I was a hoping!

Bryan
    F3 Fanatics!

6. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

I had rF2 running on linux several times.
    The server, the launcher and the game itself.

It works, but ffb might need some work.
    In general wine does need a lot of testing to get it to work. It was not working out of the box.
    You ll have probably more success when running in a 32-bit wine environment.

7. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Yes. And maybe trying Crossover (payed), Playonlinux (free) and other "tools" build upon wine could be worth to try! :cool:
    I suggested Feral Interactive (ported GRID Autosport and F1 2015) to get in contact with ISI and vice-versa...but I'm afraid my voice was too silent in the end :eek:

leillo1975 likes this.
  8. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

You can probably get it working on wine but I am not sure that is every going to give real solid solution with no costs attached compared to native windows code.

This always gets talked about a year after year, and if servers could be hosted on linux it would be a serious reduction in costs for server hosting, which will be a really good thing for RF2 community.

I think solution is to get dedi working properly and natively on linux. So there's 2 aspects, the C++ code and the specific 'sockets' code (net code). So yes that C++ code will go onto linux of course, but as usual it is not quite as simple as that. You can't just copy it to linux and expect it to compile, you gonna have to do some work and also maintain them 2 platforms in future. And same again for the sockets code, windows is winsock, linux is BSD sockets, again its pretty much the same but not quite the same, whether that is big or medium job to do only ISI will know. The ui is another issue...

I think way is, drop the ui and make linux dedi console app only, to get that dedi c++ to compile on linux, convert the winsock code to BSD sockets, and then you can be in business. ISI might have good reasons for not wanting to do that but that is the proper solution, and if it could happen it would give a really good boost to the community. I don't think wine will ever be good enough for a serious solution that really works good and can be depended on tbh, I could be wrong.

9. leillo1975

leillo1975 Registered

It's a pity that this fantastic game don't have a Linux Build. I'm tired to switch to "another" OS only for play this game and a couple more. Play this game with wine is difficult and there are not Force Feedback Support.