State of Multi-Threading

Discussion in 'rFactor 2 Technical & Support' started by Max Dralle, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Max Dralle

Max Dralle Member

Hi all.

Like the title says, I was wondering, what the actual state of multi-threading is, because "sim threshold" is not present in the player.json anymore and adding it manually does nothing, but it disappears automatically when I exit the game.

So, is multi-threading binned for good or is there a chance that it will come back one day ?

Mainly, I'm asking because on some tracks, I sometimes get pretty low fps (~40) in stereoscopic 3D mode and that seems way too low, considering my system specs (see signature).

TIA,
    Max

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  2. Lazza

Lazza Well-Known Member

@Max Dralle It seems likely you're GPU bound, so extra CPU multi threading isn't going to help anyway. What does Ctrl-C show?

3. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Well-Known Member

If your in 3D you need to seriously run on very low graphic details

& reduce the resolution as much as you can stand , the sim will be much better this way

Shoot for average fps of around 100fps

4. Max Dralle

Max Dralle Member

Thanks for your feedback, guys.

I'll check what crtl-c shows, when I get back home, but I somewhat doubt, my OCed GTX1070 is the bottleneck for a DX9 based game ... ;)

All I'd need for fluid gameplay is a minimum of 60fps with vsync and tripple buffering enabled and on most of the tracks my GPU usage hovers between 40 & 60% using that setting.

I also noticed that eg. on the the Nordschleife (on of the tracks that gives me low fps), reducing the track details does not result in higher framerates, hence I suspect the CPU being the show stopper.

However, I'll try ctrl-c and fiddle around with more in game settings, like details of oppenent cars etc.

Cheers,
    Max