Standard BOP across various GT3 Mods

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Tech G, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Tech G

Tech G Registered

I have mainly been driving the Apex and URD GT3 mods, both of which I personally like, but also the new S-397 Mclaren, that is a very nice addition (and I am looking forward to the rest of the pack). There are also plenty of other GT3 mods being used by various leagues, and this is a popular class.

But, how often have you been interested in a league or event only to find they are using a mod your not that keen on, or your league changes to a mod that you personally don't like.

So I know I may spark a lot of unintended discussion here, but keeping in mind that this is a sim we all want to see succeed and attract new drivers, one way might be to give leagues more options and members more choice to drive what they want, so I was wondering...

Whilst I understand each modder is essentially competing against the others, all leagues would generally like bigger grids, so need to attract more drivers from the current pool, what are the possibilities of agreeing a standard bench mark BOP across various mods of the same car class? This would also get more people using and exposed to each mod.

This way leagues could offer multi mod events for the same class, so if Driver A prefers the Apex Mod and doesn't have the URD mod, but Driver B prefers the URD mod, they can both join the race and know the cars are kind of evenly balanced? Btw I know paid mods might throw a wrinkle in this whole idea.

So is this even possible?

2. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

boping cars inside the same pack from same author is hard enough imagine people using different fuel, tire and tire wear + downforce levels, etc.

bhendrik likes this.
  3. jayarrbee36

jayarrbee36 Registered

There's no URD GT3 mod. GTE cars are a different class, the vast majority can't be converted from one spec to the other.

That said ;), your suggestion sounds good, in principle. But I tend to agree with Will, probably not achievable.

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

ALL the mod-makers would have to agree on using the same files for tires, transmissions, engines etc. And all would have work in the same framework in terms of downforce and drag. Essentially you would just have one mod with several contributors.

5. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

If it's same cars I dont see why not (tbh I see... it's mostly big egos that stop people from working together). But URD is GTE, they are different so no reason to make them all the same

6. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

With the S397 GT3 cars, those are going to be the benchmark. I hope that they would be able to release the tire files for people to use for other GT3 cars that they are not going to be doing. According to the Pirelli World Challenge rules (unsure exactly on other GT3 series) but it is a spec tire for all the cars. That would save a LOT of guess work for modders. I can see for the other car info of it being locked, but I do hope they are able to release those files.

Endurancer and Guimengo like this.
  7. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Marcell already said the tires will be available
    It's all about modders now complete the grid like people do in AC instead of release the same cars S397 is already doing

8. Tech G

Tech G Registered

Thanks for the insight guys. Really hope that if and where it is at all possible and appropriate the modders see the benefit in doing this for both themselves and the community as a whole. Oh and thanks for the correction on the URD being a GTE class mod ☺️