Spotter / Crewchief / Team radio suggestion help needed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

You don't know anything about the spotter yet, how it will work, if you can turn it off (which was possible in rF1). I'm not saying that any of us know how it will be, but you are calling it a mess, and presume a lot of things based on nothing..... Calling it a mess is totaly useless if you know nothing of it.....

I'm not saying it will be great (I do think so though), but I'm saying you can't judge on it yet, since there are no facts about it yet.....

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

thought of some more:

"keep coming, keep coming, STOP", "3meters, 2meters, 1meter, stop there" = Triggered when coming upto your Start line (Box) ready for the start of the race
    "5 second board", "Green flag good luck" = Triggered when the last car on the grid is ready and the green flag is waved, thus 5 seconds before the Red Lights turn on
    "Yellow on Grid!" - Triggered when Yellow Flags are waved right at the very start of a race due to a crash or stalled car for example (see the Fireball in the V8s at Barbagallo this year!!)
    "Water temps too high, get clean air" = Triggered when water/oil temps rise too much when following the car infront
    "Sorry bud, pit lane drive through for speeding in pit lane" = Triggered by a pit lane speeding infriction, same for a False Start, overtaking under yellow, being blue flagged for too long etc etc
    "adjust anti-rol bars up/down" = Triggered perhaps when on a long run the fuel becomes low, rears start to overheat so its like advice to help proptect the rears.
    "Rev lower, engine overheating" = Triggered by high oil temps in the engine (again advice kinda thing)

3. Emery

Emery Registered

From endurance racing with a driver swap, I'd like to know how long until my stint ends. After all, it's usually not worth a risky pass when you're just about to change drivers.

Occasional encouragement: "press him, you're gaining" triggered after a couple laps of close racing, "take it easy" when the lead is substantial

Occasional advice: "settle down" if the driving is erratic, "close the gap" in full course cautions and there's a gap to the car ahead

Possibility of radio failure. Pitboards when the radio does fail.

For the really big series, a "race control" channel with a different voice (assuming that the big series still do it this way).

A button assignment to acknowledge communication... if not acknowledged, then spotter repeats last instruction and/or checks that you're okay. Equivalent to waving a hand when using pitboards.

4. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

rFactor has always been a progression. Just look at all the PLR file. There are a bunch of things in there that aren't really implemented. You can see were work was being done on the spotter in rF1 which was never completed. Also, look at the plugins API from rF1.. you can see unfinished work there too. They find a good stopping point and do a release. But Tim was hired to do PR and communicate with us. We shouldn't post 6 times trying to talk him out of doing his job but then post 6 times in another thread telling him he needs to communicate more. I am very very excited to hear him ask for feedback about the spotter plugin. Just because you don't use it doesn't mean no one else will. Not everyone races Karts. Some of use do 12 hour races where there can be 3 laps between you and the car in front of you and you have two other classes that you are passing and being passed by. It would be nice to know if you are making progress on the car ahead rather then just seeing -3laps for an hour. It would also be nice to have some indication of your class position. I like MaXyM's suggestion to expose all of this new functionality to the plugins API. But I think some functionality should also be built in to the game without the need for a plugin. If it is done right we could get really creative with plugins.

5. PvtStash

PvtStash Registered

Think this may have been mentioned already, whilst in the pits being told to reset bias, fuel etc and if it is clear to leave pit-box or hold in box until clear. Watching the V8's here in Aust you get to hear these things a lot.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Resetting (or checking) brake bias or antiroll-bars (are they adjustable in the car? I sure hope so...) would be an easy one to check for, too - if the current setting isn't what the setup itself says (which means you've changed it while in the car), then the spotter can mention it.

Resetting fuel? Only if it actually means something in rF2 (in the appropriate mod(s)).

Pit release is a tough one, though I guess if you can set the parameters as part of the mod the spotter could just use that (how close a car needs to be before you're told to wait for it, that kind of thing - either as a raw distance, or a 'time' based on current pit speed limit) rather than the game itself trying to work it out.

While we're talking pits, I wonder if the spotter could mention if a car is approaching that will pit in the bay in front of you - so you don't try to merge in behind a car (in your mirrors) that then slows and turns in :)

7. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Registered

By the way... It would be quite nice to have a spotter that doesn't sound so unmistakably American! :p

How about allowing multiple sound packs with the ability to select your spotter ingame?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2011
  8. maatriks

maatriks Registered

Changeable spotter voice would be sweet!

9. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I think it is a must.

As I referred in my first post in this thread, spotter plugin for rF1 should be considered as benchmark for spotter idea. In other words any next spotter should feature at least those features which are provided by rf1 spotter plugin. And I hope we will get such one, or even better one in rF2

I have to say, rf1 spotter plugin put me into racing atmosphere deeper. I'm using it in any race or practice and found it very useful. For me information about racing situation given by voice is more convenient than watching a lot of HUDs which are often unreal.
    Without spotter simracing wouldn't be such "real" any more.

10. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

Someone could help me? My spotter didn´t work. Everything seem activate in settings but i cant hear nothing

11. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Hello ISI,
    May we get answer, if complex spotter feature will be implemented into rf2 or no? Will it be comparable to rf1 spotter plugin?

I'm starting to think about writing spotter plugin for rf2 (since Carlomaker went away and doesn't respond any more). But I have to know about ISI plans related to this subject.

best regards

12. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

I have a few On Track Ideas :)

"Careful heading to Turn 1, Watch for other Cars." -Trigger- Start of Race/Restart with grouped field.

"You are at the Half Way point of the race, Stay focused" -Trigger- Completion of half of the race Laps/Time.

"WATCH WHAT YOUR DOING, DONT DAMAGE THE CAR" - Trigger- Driver coming in contact with another car, Crew Chief has Elevated Voice tone to show disapprovement.

"So, Whats for dinner tonight?." -Trigger- Formation Lap, just to keep a smile on the driver and to keep nerves in check.

Good Examples:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsPBptREuSk

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2012
  13. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

I´d like if there is a "Raikkonen" mode enable:

14. Slider

Slider Registered

I would say anything that adds to the drivers chances of winning a race. This would include all types of track and competitor information and these are just examples: blue flags, yellow flags, possibility of rain, rain in sector 1,2 or 3, dirt on the track, distance to leader decreasing on track, driver behind now within 1 second, leader pitted, box in 2 laps, front spoiler damaged, and probably some motivational words might help such as we gained 0.5 second last lap push, push. These are just examples and it would be great to be able to switch them on or off individually or just have levels perhaps. Just a few ideas....

15. acogrecon

acogrecon Registered

Love the beta so far, great work to the entire dev team.

What I would like to see if you guys ever have the time:
    1) Lap times (abbreviated - "That was a 1:49.00" being called as "49.0")
    2) Times to cars ahead and behind at the start or in the final sector of a lap (ex. "2.5 ahead, 1.9 behind.")
    3) Warnings of changing track conditions ("Track is drying," "It's starting/stopping raining," et. al."
    4) Warnings of yellow flags "Waved yellow in sector 2"
    5) Warnings for safety car
    6) Pit light/ penalty/ race control info.

If possible this stuff should be on request using the pit menu, or by whatever means you guys deem fit.

Great job, and continue the awesome work!

16. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Can't remember if I mentioned it here, but a message telling you that driver A has pitted and put "dry/wet/intermediate'' tyres on would be invaluable in changeable condition races.

Even extended this further to different compounds, such as "soft/medium/hard" would also be helpful and it is very realistic.

17. StopPt

StopPt Registered

you must be quite a racing fan. your observations are great!

18. superbike81

superbike81 Registered

Is there any possibility that for leagues that do 24hr LeMans style racing that we could assign our own engineer/spotter to give us these updates?

So basically one or two people would volunteer to be engineer for the team. They could have access to live telemetry, status of the other cars, and a weather map. Basically just like in real life. I'm no programmer so I have no idea how difficult this would be to implement, but I think it would be very cool and add a level of realism that no other sim has.

19. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Registered

20. killerwatt

killerwatt Registered

I havent read through the full thread yet but I would like to see something along the lines of "You are closing on him" if you are faster than the next car in front of you for two laps in succession or "He is pulling away" if you are slower than him for two or more laps in succession. Also for the car behind you the message should be "You are increasing the gap" if you are faster than him for two laps in succession and "he is gaining on you" if the car behind you is faster than your for two laps in succession. Whatever phrases are used, they should all be sufficiently different from each other that they cant be confused with each other while the engine is screaming in the background.