Spotter / Crewchief / Team radio suggestion help needed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Gimli Oakenshield

Gimli Oakenshield Registered

That's it :)

2. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

removed by me

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2011
  3. smbrm

smbrm Registered

I think this has some value. This should occur immediately after you complete pit preparation changes and again as you enter the pit lane as reminder just before you pit. Of particular importance here is capturing awareness of any damage repairs that may impact the stop.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

On a similar-ish sort of theme, having a spotter telling you certain things is nearly a mod-related thing, and would be a good reason for ISI to develop the framework so mods can define what is and isn't enabled.

"Yellow flag in sector 2" or "Crash in turn 6" or "Watch out for oil in the last turn"... Modern F1 or similar? Sure... karts? Hmm... maybe not.

5. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Registered

Great idea. In multiclass racing that would be particularly beneficial. For example if I'm in the GTE class I'd just tick a few drivers to receive updates on and would like the spotter to pretty much ignore other classes.

6. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

"Rain in sector x'' would be very useful. Maybe even add rain intensity (say 3 levels, light-medium-strong).

Also being able to specify tyre pressure changes at the pitstop would be helpful given the live track especially if it starts raining.

7. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Some absolutely fantastic ideas on both specific voice feedback and methods. There's going to be a little work to do on the infrastructure, even if we built a plugin system for the spotter.
    None of these posts were needed.

If you're holding back the urge, and still post? You failed. If you prefer silence, make some. :) Or, just read the post where it says it clearly isn't doing what you're fearing it is. ;)

At this time I have not given any information on what will or won't be developed by ISI. You post is therefore based on your assumption of both that, and ISI resources mixed with a fair amount of pessimism.

I have actually been very consistently asking people not to attack each other. However, I have absolutely no requirement to do that, to explain actions, to moderate everything. I'll be consistent as possible based upon when I read things and the history of the individual involved.

With regards a threat, there was none. I made a warning and a statement statement based on your current attitude when posting, and where I clearly saw it heading. It's a fact. Please do try not to over-interpret me. :) Thankfully, you've proved me to be correct by your response.

I will alter this stance as you are not going to stop berating me. I am wanting to see a major attitude adjustment from you, from this point on, in order for your posting privileges to not be suspended.

8. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I love these ideas. I normally have a team mate spotting for me but I can't expect someone around the whole 12 hours. In mixed class racing it is a challenge to know where you stand in the field.

9. Mr.Ferret

Mr.Ferret Registered

To be fair I didn't really think of it in terms of endurance I figured in those cases you would have a real person helping you out but it is still very applicable. My main idea was that in a one or two pitstop race where you are by yourself. Key example in f1 2011 I'm racing in a HRT and I keep getting told the gap to Fernando Alonso (pointless he's 2nd!) and about my team mate (pointless I've lapped him!) tell me about the bloody williams's! For all I know I might be able to beat them on my two stopper as opposed to the three. This way I can get the vital stratergy information. Even if it's something like your loosing a little sector 3 but your maintaining race pace. So you know your car is obviously slower at the time but they have calculated if you keep your current pace you will come out ahead of them. Only thing is this could be fiddly and a little invasive if the messages aren't kept to the facts.

One other request I loved it in gtr2 if you had a race ending crash the engineer would ask if your allright. And obviously we would love the ability to make our own voice packs but knowing ISI I don't think we will need to worry about that functionality :)

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Would get very complex as well... and would require people to understand that rather like a real-life spotter it's just taking its best guess - but unlike real life there's no human element. (they have strategists in teams because computers aren't as good at it)

Differing fuel tank sizes, tyre properties, safety car probabilities at various tracks, chance of weather... there's a fair chance your spotter ends up wrong about you being able to beat a car if you keep doing your laptimes, or even on how many stops another car is making, so for me the question is whether someone listening to the spotter comes out with a "well this rF2 spotter sucks" attitude, or understands that it's taking its best guess and should be used as a guide only. Dare I say it, from what we see around here sometimes, I think the first might be fairly common :)

So, personally I think the suggestion about interacting with the current standings is a great idea. The list is already there (in rF1) and doesn't actually do anything; if it could list a little more strategy-related info (probably configurable) plus allow you to 'select' a driver and your spotter gives you some info on them, that would be a step in the right direction.

11. Mr.Ferret

Mr.Ferret Registered

Bingo it would be a bit hard but really it's just to keep an eye on them rather than driving blind. I hate having an empty track and not knowing if I need to put in 30 qualifying laps or if I can back off and save fuel / tyres, engine etc.

12. rci808

rci808 Registered

@ tim, if those posts weren't needed, why didn't you simply delete mine rather than respond twice to them?

13. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

For educational purposes :)
    It's better to explain that one should not make a mess rather than keep cleaning up after him.

So, keep it clean - this thread is meant co contain suggestions about spotter. We should avoid as best as we can to post anything else than that here. The cleaner this thread will be, the easier our suggestions will reach ISI staff, so it's in our own best interest, right?

------------------------------------------------------------

Back on topic - this is not strictly about spotter, but about pitmenu (so related to spotter).
    It would be good if I had the ability to back off from some repairs (or maybe even other stuff) while allready being served in potstop.

Or better yet - perhaps even scenario like this:
    - I enter pits, refuelling and tire change starts
    - damage assessment starts (for example - estimated repair time is displayed on top of damage display on HUD - for each damaged part separately)
    - as damage gets assessed I can opt to repair things or not (for example - by mouse clicking directly on HUD)

Could be usefull in NASCAR - under full course yellow, instead of making long stop for repairs and getting lapped down, you could repair some stuff, go around one lap and make second stop to repair the rest.

Yeah, count down to pit box would be very useful on ovals.
    Pit Road Speed Warnings - not necesarily as spotter - some warning displayed when approaching pitlane would be enough (just like what we have in iRacing).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2011
  14. rci808

rci808 Registered

lol...

i was one of 2 people who said we don't use spotter.

there was my input.

and now it's deemed worthless.

you guys are getting bored aren't you?

15. rci808

rci808 Registered

how about the guys who prefer the old formula cars like the ones in the rf2 monaco trailer... there is no spotter.. lets work on an animated pit crew guy that shows your pit board on pit wall.

same with the karting mods that rf2 will support.. no spotter.

16. rci808

rci808 Registered

furthermore...

tim, if all these "absolutely fantastic ideas on both specific voice feedback and methods" are going to require "a little work to do on the infrastructure, even if we built a plugin system for the spotter." ...wouldnt that hold up release?

anyways... it's been fun.

carry on then.

17. Mr.Ferret

Mr.Ferret Registered

Pit boards would rock too :)

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

No, as was stated in the first post and requoted in Tim's response to your first useless post, they're looking for ideas for implementation after the beta release - and possibly in updates after the initial release.

19. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

No. The FIRST POST IN THIS THREAD clearly said that this won't be a part of the beta, and might not be a part of the initial release. These are suggestions for the future.

This is the reason why your posts have been treated the way they have been (because your fear of it delaying the release had no basis if you had bothered to read the first post). This is why I said in a reply to one of your posts, that the first post, had said what it said (that this wouldn't do what you said in your first post). Because you hadn't read it then (obvious because of your first post), and you clearly still haven't.

20. rci808

rci808 Registered

lol..

just trying to piece this mess together...

PEACE!