Splining a race groove

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by iDTDoug, Feb 25, 2012.

1. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

yep, another thread..
    using max8..
    got the spline done, applied a material that has the RR texture, make groove visible, apply a UVW Xform, map channel 3, but all i get is sold grey, so modifying the UVW Xform doesnt show me anything. changing back to the stage1 road texture shows fine. any clue to what im missing?
    Tried it on many of the RR materials i have and same result.
    a normal UVW map works fine, shows the groove texture.

2. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Is the RaceGroove texture assigned to Channel 3? It's about the only thing I can think of ...

3. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

yep, 1,2,1,3,2,2,3
    the other textures show up when i switch channels, but the groove is all grey.

4. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

What happens when you export any groove mapping changes? Are the changes getting exported? Just trying to figure out where things are going wrong ...

5. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

havent exported yet into game, just doing step-by-step and this is the first glitch. Will have it soon.. groove or no groove...

6. ethone

ethone Registered

Just export it, I haven't worked with 3ds max 8 in a while but even more recent versions like 2011 have graphical glitches when doing spline mapping. They're display-only issues though, the meshes are usually mapped correctly. Unless you encountered a new bug, which I hope you didn't. :)

7. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

I exported the track, its in game, but i see no racegroove. Do I need an AIW? Havent done that yet. The camera is very jittery. I can drive fine and things look normal but the jitterness will make it hard to control. Is there supposed to be a racegroove.gmt file? i removed that from the scn to get it in game.

8. freew67

freew67 Registered

Did you name the gmt Racesurface_? Normally take 10 laps or so before you see something pop up. There isnt a sep gmt for the groove, its all done on the one gmt.

Ive tested it without a proper aiw before.

9. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

all roads that are driven on are RaceSurface##, i guess i'll try RaceSurface_##...

10. freew67

freew67 Registered

I just tried it as RaceSurface01 and it worked on my end... worth a shot.

edit: road_TrackMAIN_WET what the mat id is called in the Joesville max file.

11. toebee

toebee Registered

If your in devmode you can open the weather gfx panel and inside of that is an option to turn the groove on and off. That way you don't have to drive the track.

12. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

thanks, the jittering happens in joesville too so its probably a frame rate thing.
    Yes, it works, thanks toebee for the weather menu info. Its just only on one tiny section of the track so i'll have to figure out how to make it show on the rest. Probably some vertexes are off.

13. les

les Registered

is your track one piece or is it many track pieces your track need to be connected one track piece to make hte racegroove come out right

14. ethone

ethone Registered

I've spline mapped multiple pieces of RaceSurface just fine in 3ds max 2011. Select them all, UVW Unwrap, do the built in spline mapping. For 3ds max 8 it might be different if you have to use the workaround though.

15. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

does it matter how much above the track the plane is? mine is 10m. im trying to figure out why it displays on only a short section of one peice of track. I guess i can just play around with it but that will be time consuming. groove1.jpg

16. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

well, i looked at that section of track showing it and that material I forgot to change to channel 3. It was on channel 1. I changed it to 3 and re-exported it and now none of the track shows that groove. So at least im consistently missing it now.... The entire road turns darker when turning the groove on. is that normal?

17. toebee

toebee Registered

Not sure if that's normal or not. I would guess that your race groove is stretched across the whole surface? Maybe try a transparent race groove texture and see if that makes a difference between the whole track getting darker or not.

18. ethone

ethone Registered

Are you turning on the groove through the dev mode menu? I have had let's say unrealistic results through (properly unworkmanlike) usage of the dev mode display settings.
    If you have an AIW, add AIs and let them run a few laps to see the "natural" groove turn up.

19. freew67

freew67 Registered

Since the groove isnt like rf1 (fast path), it should show up across the entire track. Prob is hard to see if its working like that, so you have to or let ai turn some laps. Ctrl-X speeds things up.

20. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

ok, i guess i'll go ahead and do the aiw for it now and see what happens. this may take a while since im super busy with life.