Specular issues with car body in rf2

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by bison160, Feb 2, 2012.

1. bison160

bison160 Registered

That looks pretty good toebee. The damage layer not working isn't a big deal right now considering it isn't active anyways, and You can look at the bright side that people wont be able to mess up your hard work on getting your car right by putting nasty looking alpha layer reflections on them when they paint. Does it show any poly structure or hot spotting on the edges? Doesn't appear to by looking at your pics, but sometimes they just don't show up unless you hit the right angles.

2. mianiak

mianiak Registered

That's the wrong way of going about it. I'm sorry, I do not like telling people they are wrong, but in this case I feel I have to jump in before it's too late.
    I fear for these 'guessed solutions' that stray from the basic setup, because I can see it in the future, people reading things like this and following suit, only to find down the track that things don't work properly, it adds so much confusion to the process.

The right way to do it is have the spec power somewhere between 5-15, use the designated car shader (or make your own custom one when the data is available) and make it work.

Have you tried playing with the Fresnel?

In all, if there is a problem or a bug, it needs to be reported so that it can be looked into. You don't want to find other ways around it.

3. fanlebowski

fanlebowski Registered

4. toebee

toebee Registered

I am not proposing this as a solution... I am showing it as a proof of concept. In hopes that ISI will take notice and adjust their shaders. I have tried frensel with no luck. If you say 5-15 is the way can we see how it looks on your models? Can we see your textures and alpha channels?

5. toebee

toebee Registered

It looks good on the cup car model I've been working on.

6. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Hi all, I read all this interesting subject, I'm pretty novice in this part, and I have some issue in my rF2 body export.

I work to get a car that can be painted or carbon.
    I use the material indicated in the full car modelling tutorial, but I'm novice in materials.
    If I'm right, If I want to get carbon render in my paint, I have to put an alpha channel darker than if I get a paint render. I deduce this because I notice the full white alpha channel on my body dds make me a chrome render in game.

What I search is the value to put in each parameter of a body to get a clean/realistic render whatever the skin I have to put on it (including paint, carbon and possible chrome parts).

Is there a clean reference list of value to get this render and avoid each modder to imagine/test all possible values associations ?

Example:
    - Value for the specular (colour and power) material in Max for the WCCARBODY
    - Value for the alpha channel of the body for each kind of "paint" to be realistic (carbon, paint, chromium).
    - Value for the specular map (grey in the paint part, and colour for the alpha channel if needed).

I have the same problematic for others materials, I notice, in rFactor (1 mainly) cars, the cockpit materials are nor very good. Carbon, leather, plastic, suede, chromium ,metal ...
    Is there a list of value to put in materials and texture to get a great render?

If someone can help me to master a bit more these area and don't spend days of research for nothing, it will be a great help for me.

7. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

8. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Looks like specular lighting is calculated "the old way" in shaders....

By "the old way" I mean using so called half vectors for specular reflections. Half vectors were invented for Shader Model 1.x, due to very limited pixel shaders back then. Since Shader Model 2.0 it's possible to perform proper per-pixel specular lighting, but rFactor was still using half vectors.
    Seems like this hasn't changes in rFactor 2.

Just like any other thing with beta - you have to wait and encourage ISI to get it fixed before gold release. I'm assuming they're working on different aspects right now, but sooner or later they will have to go back to graphics.

9. bison160

bison160 Registered

Good stuff K Szczech. That makes a lot of sense. Looking at the shaders you have done, I know you know you way around them. They are the only way to get a car to look "right." I hope ISI can get this sorted out and maybe update the shaders a bit to get rid of this issue.

And mianiak, Nobody is saying this is the "right" way to go about creating a car body. We are just pointing out the issue hoping that ISI will fix it. Not like this is a tutorial on how to make carbody materials thread. you said...and i quote..."In all, if there is a problem or a bug, it needs to be reported so that it can be looked into".......is that not what we are doing here?

10. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Right, I read it before posting, and I afraid with this king of empiric way of working, If exists a set of value working for each type of "material" where can I find it.
    Experiment, is not the solution for making clean things. We need a reference, from ISI ? But I think ISI have bug to fix first, and not take care about define stable things for modders, perhaps I'm wrong? (I hope).

11. nunux

nunux Registered

12. toebee

toebee Registered

Why is every curve of the body highlighted by a specular reflection? It looks like you have painted them on?

13. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

It's not a problem with your models, materials, normals nor textures.

Just look at any car by ISI - same thing:

[​IMG]

It's a shader problem.

14. nunux

nunux Registered

it is accented on the paint .. for example ..

15. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Thanks, but no thanks, then :)

16. nunux

nunux Registered

17. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

We're talking about specular reflections on carpaint shader here.

On your screenshots, you are not using specular reflections at all. I'm not even sure if you're using carpaint shader or just diffuse T0 shader.

18. nunux

nunux Registered

on my screens I use the shader used in the tutorial isi. I have 3 map. diffuse and specular bump, and no effect grid ..

( on my screen 3 sphere.. 32-64-128 faces ).

View attachment 1092

screen on my mat.

View attachment 1093

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2012
  19. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Your specular color is black, so like I said - you're not actually using specular reflections.

And that's exactly what we're discussing here - problem with specular reflections.

20. nunux

nunux Registered

ok, but it is now possible to have a correct rendering, without specular reflection.

;)