Specific track modelling tutorials - Sticky at top of this section of forum please

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Jameswesty, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

I know there are some Stickys of new docs for car creation exporting and some of the new features/methods on the main RF2 beta forum but I think it would be a good help for us RF2 noobs if we could have some Stickys just for track making and broken down into clear sections.

for example ,

- Track building in 3ds max ( some good videos already linked around the forum can just shove them in)
    - track texturing
    - making objects and texturing objects
    - specifics of exporting tracks aimed at people that r new to RF scene ( probably existing documentation out there its just a bit hard to find the specifics )
    - List of recourse sites / pre existing models ( someone alredy uploaded a basic track and I belive ISI are going to put one out soon ) allso links to sites like cgtextures.com could go in here.

All the best , and thanks for the help so far :) !

2. freew67

freew67 Registered

There are plenty of tutorials already available for rF1. Just use them for now. http://nsrs.jawcentral.com/forum/ I have video and text tutorials plus links to a few other sites who have the same.

Little research goes a long way.

3. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

I know i have found quite a few but they are all over the place and it would be far nicer to simply have a cuple of catagories at the top of this thred where people can put there latest tutoreal and link to the best ones.

so instead of it taking 35min to find something it would take 3min

4. ethone

ethone Registered

As the track technology guide said, at the moment the full monty of taking an interested person from nill to a full-sized and F1-grade track of good quality isn't the highest priority at the moment. Most of us are in the process of learning the changes/additions rF2 brought.

As a track modeller you will need many techniques that aren't specific to track modelling. Lofting, instancing, extruding or vertex coloring weren't invented for track modelling.

I thought of compiling a list of tutorials for my website but they pretty much already exist. Like this: http://www.mbdevteam.com/download/Tutorials/index.html
    And in any event, you still have a bunch of helpful people on here to help you out. :)

5. freew67

freew67 Registered

Wheres the fun in that? Just as ethone said, there is still a lot to learn about rF2 and we dont even have all the options yet. Once you get the hang of Max, the RF part of it is the easy stuff.

All over the place is the norm for rFactor. :)

6. ethone

ethone Registered

I would call it "lots of sources for information and content" rather than "all over the place". ;)

7. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

I never realy had an issue with the 3ds max side but lots of issue with game specific exporters and export formats , from the sounds of it and playing around G moter seems to load in assets well with few issues.

I was wondering does G moter always render the whole track mesh if its all one object ?
    are you meant to brake the track up into smaller parts for the engine to chose what it loads in ?
    what would be a good scene poly limit or does it not matter so much ( so long as u dont go mental) ?

cheers !

8. ethone

ethone Registered

You can set LODin and LODout values for each objects. Select the object in question and in the GMT Exporter open the "Instance" bit.
    That allows you to switch off objects that don't need to strain the system from far away, or switch between a ultra-high poly object at close distance to a more reasonable one.

There's also the linking of instances, but I never got into that. Maybe someone else could elaborate?

9. elwood

elwood Registered

... have in mind that are done for rF1. Some are good in rF2 too but as i said one hundred times, those are not the way to obtain an effect or a result, are suggestion ... :)
    I'll be glad to share some other ways to do this or that thing (or suggestion to improve), hosting and credits is not a problem.
    Cheers.