Sound Popping/Crackling

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by dq333, May 28, 2018.

1. dq333

dq333 Registered

Anybody else experience issues with audio? When in the menu system and you hover the mouse over an item, you get a slight pop before the sound is played. Moving the mouse frantically in between items causes horrible crackling. It's present in racing also.

Sounds like audio is being interrupted before playing a sample which causes a pop/crack. It's not constant but frequent enough to ruin the experience a bit. Is this perhaps limitation of the engine? Any settings to alleviate this?

2. Jego

Jego Registered

I have noticed the sound in the menu, but I have gotten used to it.

3. dq333

dq333 Registered

OK, at least it isn't just my machine.

4. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

Now they just have to take that crackling and popping and add it to the exhaust sound. ;) Btw I noticed it ,too.

5. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

That's a tough one.
    After a fair bit of work and delving deep inside the guts of the program I found something hidden away that has a real vague description.
    Start rF2
    Select Options
    Select Audio
    Here's the tricky bit, go all the way down the bottom......
    Options Sound Volume. Slide to the left and it goes quieter. Slide to the right and well, let's just say, it's a quick descent into madness.
    :D

6. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Easy fix.

Go to player.JSON and change:

"Sound Options":{
    "Buffer Count":INSERT NUMBER HERE,

I have buffer count set to 24 but I have a good sound card. You may need to go a little higher to stop the crackling.

This is effectively the time the soundcard has to render the audio in milliseconds. If it's too low, it will crackle when it misses the audio que. If it's too high (around 60 or more), there will be noticable latency between what's on screen and what's coming out the speakers.

ADSTA likes this.