Sorry ISI but someone must say it ....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by williang83, May 25, 2013.

1. williang83

williang83 Registered

Sorry ISI but i have to say it, you are doing an amazing job. After a month and half without playing due to a shoulder injury, i tried the new building with all cars/tracks update and i'm very pleased.
    I own and CSW and the force feedback is getting better and better specially the feeling of the car. Honestly i thought that i would have taken more time to say it but for me the feeling is much better than iracing.
    Obviously there is still a lot of work to be done but at this stage, hoping that for most missing features is just a matter of time, the game is amazing.
    Right now i still have a year and half of iracing membership but i just feel that i enjoy rfactor much more.
    With rfactor i'm becoming a faster pilot and it can be seen even in iracing, this is because i feel the car and i clearly feel what improves and what does not improve my lap time on each corner. I never had that feeling in iracing in a deep way, it was a rough feeling in iracing.
    For me the only thing that is clearly better in iracing is the multiplayer, without that rf2 all the time.

ISI keep doing fine.

2. celkaris

celkaris Registered

totally agree with Original Poster, joined the rfactor community less than 2 weeks ago, and already enjoy the work beeing done.
    (both technically through updates, and besides, with licensing, feedback and support, as seen so far).

Regarding the iRacing multiplayer and community, i'd bet we won't have to wait that long before plugins (and eventually mods) gives the rfactor2 users the same kind of experience.

Dedicated server apparently runs plugins too, scoring data already provides all the informations required to build a career-oriented service (looks like collisions with their power are present in data too, so one may track driver's race incidents beside driver performance).

Another interesting feature of iRacing is the spotter feature, not necessarily the multiplayer spotter mechanism, but the comprehensive verbosity of spotter (i love the 'car on the left', 'clear left', '3-wide', ... messages).
    Again, having nearly-realtime car positions on the track, i'd bet one could write a plugin providing the same kind of features.

It also appears the current dev build comes with more audio files than the current 218 build, i'm not sure why those audio events are not yet in the public branch, but i'm pretty confident the audio experience will get better and better along time, providing an even better immersion experience.

The openness of rFactor should "rule them all" xD

3. zenrael

zenrael Registered

Totally agree with this.

There is a very open-source feel to this community, having spent a lot of my youth hanging around open-source projects... and given that this is clearly proprietary software, it's refreshing to see such open development and professionalism in the same arena.

4. Spadge

Spadge Registered

What, no whining?

I demand a refund! This isn't what I expect on the forum!!

Truth be told I am loving rF2 quite a lot too.

5. Miro

Miro Registered

This literally kills high level multiplayer racing IMO. The races are boring and there are basicaly no real fights as in RL.
    Just put your nose next to the other car and you are through.

It makes very good racers to average racers and not so good ones a little bit better..

Compare the iWCGPS series and FSR WC series, two different worlds in terms of racing and action.
    Of course more accidents but more exiting and closer to RL races about 100 times.

6. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

I am also very happy with rF2. There are areas that need improvement but I can see that progress is being made with each build. rF2 is also a fraction of the cost of iracing so it is the clear winner in my eyes.

7. RCRacing

RCRacing Registered

ISI is putting top notch work into this sim. By far the greatest out there. I knew there was a reason I paid for the lifetime membership. Thanks ISI :D

8. argo0

argo0 Registered

A comprehensive spotter kills multiplayer because once you're alongside, you're through? I dont understand, could you explain please if you have time?

9. Miro

Miro Registered

There is nothing to explain really. It kills extreme defensive driving and extreme offensive driving. Two types of driving which always lead to extreme situations in driving and heavy exiting situations.

As I said just fallow the two series and you'll see what the difference is.

10. Navigator

Navigator Registered

11. frankwer

frankwer Registered

12. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

+1, although I don't have lifetime membership yet!

13. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Apology accepted. Also, congratulations on being able to drift for the first time in your life or whatever prompted this thread.

14. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

But how does the spotter do this? The spotter provides information to the driver, I don't see how that would completely change the driving style.

15. Jello

Jello Registered

+1 to ISI. I enjoyed rF1 even though I sort of got into it later in it's life, but having a lot of fun being involved in rF2 from very early on & it's a great sim as far as I'm concerned & I've been into racing sims since the days of Toca & Geoff Crammonds GP series. I think ISI has done a great job & it's brilliant that you guys are sharing so much info & source files etc for the modding community, which is what helped rF1 run for so long.

I'm one happy simmer :)

16. Miro

Miro Registered

You don't have to agree with me of course but I think it does, it really does and in combination with the safety rating system it just does. People are to scared to fight hard and long for a position. And once there is somebody next to you there is a big gap between the cars so that a Boeing could fly through the gap.
    Of course you could post me now examples where this is not the case but mostly it just is IMO :).

Almost 90% of the overtaking maneuvers look like a Red Bull is overtaking a Toro Rosso.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2013
  17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think he means once you hear a car is alongside you (even though it may only just be there) you leave it room and they will be able to sneak past. Without the spotter telling you it's there you're more likely to squeeze the car (intentionally or not) and they'll have to actually be further alongside in order to make you yield.

That's my best attempt at an actual explanation, anyway.

18. 10speed

10speed Registered

It's a good sim to some extent but then again you can't make proper use of it. League Racing doesn't make much sense if the sim you are using is neither running stable (lags, other online problems) or feature-complete. And then again it's 2013 and no matter how ISI or the modders try to tweak it, the graphics engine is outdated. Especially the flickering shadows are annoying me, also the shaders are not capable of resembling the real world properly. Especially car paint (whether metallic or matt finished) does look very artificial.
    I'm not whining but simply not impressed by the current state of rFactor2's development. Honestly my hopes are with Assetto Corsa now as I can't see ISI improving the graphics to an extent that would satisfy me.

19. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

This last release has certainly transformed the simulation.
    It got quite a bit better.
    The response is much more in tune with how the real cars feel.
    If I have one complaint at this point, it's the way the car responds when you go off track onto grass specifically.
    It is still much too slippery when trying to get back on track.
    I've actually done that in a race car and it's not yet modeled correctly.

20. williang83

williang83 Registered

+1