Something odd about night replays

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pleclair, Jul 14, 2013.

1. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Hey all!

Something is driving me crazy here!

Ever since my run on Belgium at night with the Megane, I wanted to record my best lap of it, and send it to youtube, as I do with my best laps as of lately.

I never had such a problem with all my replays so far. It's only for this particular one. Well, Belgium at night. Not sure about the other tracks at night yet.

I must have recorded that particular lap with fraps about 15-20 times so far, and everytime I end up with a slowed down replay.

Here is what happens: the lap is 3:47, but I end up with a replay that last 4:53, 4:39, and so on. My FPS seen during replay isn't any different from what I see in other replays... mostly capped at 30 during the replay, with some dips at 25ish...

I used a chrono to time the recording, and it is really playing slowed down. The seconds on my chrono goes faster than those in the replay.

I tried to play with the display settings, even lowering them all to low (I then had a capped framerate of 30 all the way) but still, the replay is still 4:53.

That's more than 1 min longer... it just doesn't make sense.

Anyone can reproduce this? Make a practice on Belgium, start the time at 9pm so it's night, and run one lap, then play that replay and use a chrono to tell if your replay is also slowed down.

I also tried to play with replay fidelity, but didn't helped.

I have recorded replays at dusk, storm, rain, morning, afternoon, and pretty much all time during day, and never had such a problem.

I also tried to resume the replay, and play the replay from a now live session, and it was the same as well.

Out of solution now... any clues?

2. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

I let AI drive for a while. Replay is fine. Runs at normal speed.

3. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Hmmm, could it be that AI isn't using the cpu intensive physics we do?

I have two replays of 10ish or so laps on belgium, both with meganes, and both are playing slower. If I start the chrono on the start line, in the worst case, I'll have nearly a second of difference at only 10 seconds of replay time.

I also forgot to mention that the behavior is also happening without me trying to record the replay. I tested it again with the chrono.

I'm currently sending my replay file to mega.co.nz, so maybe some of you can try it out, and play lap 5 and using either a chrono or fraps, tell me if you have a longer replay than the lap time is.

Will post the link when it's sent. 88MB file.

4. pleclair

pleclair Registered

5. Marek Lesniak

Can you upload it to a normal hosting service, like sendspace maybe?

6. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Why do you say normal hosting service? Mega isn't good? I've seen it a few times before, and downloads are quick, no captcha, one click download, fast speed, so I thought I would send there.

Never used it before.

I'm currently sending to sendspace however, so I will post the new link when it's up.

7. pleclair

pleclair Registered

8. Marek Lesniak

Lap 7 - 3:47.487?
    No problems at all. Checked a few other laps too and they are OK.