Some questions for R9 380 owners

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by qusimano, Jun 18, 2016.

1. qusimano

qusimano Registered

Guys, i have this card since the end of April and still i can't understand how to make good use of it....
    my card has 4 GB of ram but in game green bar it's full even if msi afterburner show a vram usage of 2,5 gb and 5gb of system ram, on a total of 8, red bar flash hard when i exit the pitlane and during most of the first lap, even with my car only. The card it's well recognized by the game and the vram size too
    Also on a 1920x1080 screen, what is the right level of AA? some level from the launcher seems to do almost nothing on some tracks, messing with the crimson panel lead to stuttering, low fps, and i see some strange thing like "Shader Cache" (optimized for AMD,disabled) "Morphological filter(?????)" this things are confusing for me, i had a gtx 560 until his death and i was happy on medium to some high settings, now i have a card 3 times faster on paper,4gb of vram instead of only 1, but i have to drive with basically the same graphic setting in order to avoid stuttering, and the AA on the old one was perfect on 4x and texture filtering 0 on plr, Now i have just a big headache and my monitor it's full o jaggies:(
    also, i noted that when i enter on track, mouse cursor remain in loading mode for a while, i cant remind if this occur also with the old card, but i think not.
    The thing i cant understand it's the red flashing bar.... why it's flashing, and why the green bar it's full, if i have 4 gb of ram, and the sim use only 2,5?
    Environment reflection: The first thing make me unhappy when i had fired up rf2 with my new shiny card. the effect it's the same with my old gtx 560, the reflection it's a slow motion of image on the bodywork even if i have 100 fps, i cant see a fluent reflection, i pass under the bridge at silverstone ad 250km/h, but if i look the reflection it's like i'm going 80km/h. I dont even pump the setting to high, i am too much frustrated already:D

Pls Guys tell me there is a magic driver for me, a trick in plr for reduce the resolution of the reflection and have it super fluid, a hint for the setting in the Amd panel,

i have the latest crimson driver installed, 3dmark score are in line, no temp issue, Win 10 optimized with some trick for avoid stuttering on rf2 found here on the forum (Disable win diagnostic policy blabla, delete Microsoft c++ x86 ecc) amd 8320, no problem in other games, I just feel im unlucky on this one!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2016
  2. BoothJoe

BoothJoe Registered

I have an R9 380 running Windows 10 with the latest AMD drivers. I run AMD's multiple screen setup and regularly get at least 70 fps. My card is the "short" model and contains 2gb of memory. I don't overclock; I just run it "standard." Here are my display settings top down (just the settings to save space here)
    full
    medium
    high
    medium
    x4 anis
    high
    low
    off
    low
    yes
    low
    low
    Right column
    on
    mph
    imperial
    on
    cockpit
    on
    off
    off
    download skins checked
    no
    off

Here are the Video settings
    5760x1080
    level 1
    off
    off
    full screen
    x
    x
    x

RF2's multiview did not run for me as well as AMD's multi-monitor setup. If you want me to try something, let me know.

3. qusimano

qusimano Registered

Thanks for posting BoothJoe, after posting i continued to mess with graphic setting and in the last desperate try i have maxed out the game, just for die with honour:D and i have discovered that on HIGH, environment reflection is displayed at the right speed, this is a discovery for me as i never dare to max out Rf2 :D i Know this setting kill fps easily, and when i saw the slow reflection rate in low setting, i was wonder that high setting could be only slower, so or the low setting is bugged, or it has no reason for being selectable, i cant see a reason in having reflection in slowmotion, i can understand less resolution but slowmotion?Or maybe it's a problem of my system and i do not know?
    Also, my problem never was fps, but stuttering, and with the game maxed out, vsync off on suzuka i have a minimum of 70 fps on the grid with 29 AI. The thing that seems to not work well here is the Maxframerate value on 60, it doesn't cure stutter, and the game do not look very fluent, the situation is better with maxframerate 120, the fluctuation is bigger (70-90-120) than with 60 (58-61) but i do not know why, it seems to be smoother. the red bar continue to flash at the exit of the pit, but i do not have the stutter in the middle of the corner, and this is good!
    Problem remain on some particular track, i am in a league and the next race is Portimao, here the situation it's very bad in the first lap.
    Can you try this track please, is the one where i have the bigger problem

osztott.com/nCug/SRT-Portimao-Circuit_v101.rfcmp

Thx in advance!

4. BoothJoe

BoothJoe Registered

I ran several laps on Portimao with an Eve F3 and a 2013 F1 Red Bull. I don't see anything that bothers me. But there are two things here. One, I don't care about maximum graphics. I don't care about reflections, for example. I concentrate on the race as much as I can because if I start sightseeing, I'm in the weeds. I did not notice any stutter. Second, I believe some of the things you mention may only be obvious to good drivers. I stink. My best lap at this track in the 2013 Red Bull was about 1:45. That's with the default setup and not knowing the track at all. It's like a lot of things...you really don't notice the bad things until you get good enough that they start getting in your way. Pro golfers don't play with KMart clubs. So probably you need to talk to someone at your own skill level. At my sub-skill level, what I see on the track and the performance of the R9 380 is just fine. A year from now if I haven't gotten so frustrated that I quit and start playing The Adventures of Hello Kitty, I might be able to be of some use.

5. qusimano

qusimano Registered

Thx Boothjoe, your help is much appreciated, clearly you do not have the same problem i have, it is very evident when you exit the pit lane, you turn the wheel, and after some meter i have the first stutter, then the second stutter at the green light, ecc.
    I start to believe that the game use only 2 gb, out of 4, and having 2,5 gb allocated, lead to stuttering and disk access.
    Devs pls tell me something, is this plausible?
    This is my config.ini,

//[[gMa1.002f (c)2016 ]] [[ ]]
    [COMPONENTS]
    LanguagesFile=GAME.DIC
    ObjDetail=3
    TexDetail=3
    VideoGUID=D7B71EE2-2A79-11CF-4776-EF244FC2C535
    VideoDriver=0
    VideoMode=36
    VideoRefresh=1
    WindowedMode=0
    Borderless=0
    RunBenchmarks=0
    FSAA=0
    VSync=0
    UsePostFX=0
    GFXSafeMode=0 // 1=fallback to LDR mode, you must manually clear shader cache
    ShaderLevel=0
    SubViews=0
    UseSubViewParams=1
    ViewParams=(0.540, 0.340, 0.600, 15.000, 0.037) // screen width (m), screen height (m), eye distance (m), side angle (deg), bezel gap (m)
    LeftView=(0.540, 0.340, 0.600, 15.000, 0.037)
    RightView=(0.540, 0.340, 0.600, 15.000, 0.037)
    WidescreenUI=0
    WidescreenUIWidth=-1
    WidescreenHUD=1
    CustomVidRes=(0, 0)
    MinimumVidRes=(800, 600)
    MaximumVidRes=(99999, 99999)

[INSTALL]
    InstallFrom=
    InstallTo=

[AUTOLAUNCH]
    Mode=Off
    LaunchTime=600

[VERSION]
    Version=-1.000000

PS: What is this? VideoDriver=0

6. BoothJoe

BoothJoe Registered

Here's mine as a comparison...only the different stuff listed:
    //[[gMa1.002f (c)2016 ]] [[ ]]
    [COMPONENTS]
    ObjDetail=1
    TexDetail=1
    VideoMode=7
    VideoRefresh=0
    FSAA=32
    ViewParams=(0.511, 0.281, 0.356, 45.000, 0.001) // screen width (m), screen height (m), eye distance (m), side angle (deg), bezel gap (m)
    LeftView=(0.511, 0.281, 0.356, 45.000, 0.001)
    RightView=(0.511, 0.281, 0.356, 45.000, 0.001)
    WidescreenUIWidth=1920
    WidescreenHUD=0

7. Led566

Led566 Registered

Yes, the different set of the Reflection parameter has the effect of chenging the refresh interval of the Reflection map, so if you use Medium or High, the refresh is slow and you start to see the reflections stutters.
    The "stuttering" is only on the reflections.
    I have a 7950 and I always use Reflections=off, this means the reflections map is updated only once in a while (maybe some seconds) so the motion of the reflections is very fluid.
    It became unnatural in places like Monza where you have lot of trees and you don't see the reflections of those moving at all.

The stuttering problem you have could depend on the cpu, have you checked the cpu load (purple bar)? If it is higher than 80, 90% you could easily have stuttering caused by the Physics thread, that can't keep the real time.

Anyway for my next computer build I'have decided to drop AMD for good.
    It was after I've seen this:
    [​IMG]

GTX1070 is 100% FASTER than a Fury with PCars...
    This was the case also in the past where for example my 7950 could be on par with a GTX770 or even better, except in rF2 and simdriving in general.
    With rF2 going 64 bit and with newer drivers from AMD situation was better but never completely statisfying.
    There is something wrong between AMD and simdriving, and, unfortunately, was NEVER fixed.

My next build will be 6600K+GTX1070.