Some new WIP images

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Jul 19, 2011.

1. dragon

dragon Registered

Is it possible to have a three complement of tire to qualifications and race as is in real world in F1 series and use in race tire for qualification? Or Is it possible to have limited number complement of tire on race race week? :)

2. simfan

simfan Registered

@Flaux

What track is it?

3. Flaux

Flaux Registered

First track I really don't know. Maybe Brands Hatch. Second should be Zandvoort...

4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Watching the Rolex Sportcar series at the moment and I don't see the properly fitted window nets moving at all when the cars are at full speed on the incar cams. Can I ask where it's been see that properly fitted window nets flap so I can understand why we're being asked about it?

Thanks guys.

5. shum94

shum94 Registered

Forget that i wanna see moving wipers :)

Rain video in a non ow car. Last video about that is months ago, It should be better in these days in exe 0.94 ? 0.99 ?

6. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Regardless of the quality of the tiedown some movement would occur in the net. It would be nice to have the ability to animate cockpit objects like that.

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

watching (my hero) in this video the window net clearly does'nt flap about, maybe small vibrations every now and then are noticeable however. Other things in a cockpit like those belts I mentioned earlier "could" in theory be slightly loose and move about abit, but for me its the ondash switches that move when you select Pit In that would add a great amount of realism.

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

in this one Tim you can clearly see the side restrain net (dunno what its properly called!) flapping about with a red tag on it too for extra effect. Something like this again would add realism, whilst not really nessecary of course it would be a "cool" feature later down the line IMO:

9. dragon

dragon Registered

In my opinion this is unnecessary thing, becouse I only want Formula ISI :p So do not concern themselves with "unnecessary thing", and do everything to speed up release of the game, please. :confused:

10. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

Given your position on screenshots, it might be better to focus on videos instead. I think the community would appreciate them more and it would give us a better idea of the many improvements in rF2.

11. Carbonfibre

Carbonfibre Registered

Well it just adds to the visceral experience. Shift 2 and iRacing feature it on different levels of realism. Very soon it will regarded as a common feature in all driving games I bet. Besides developers should always be looking to borrow and improve ideas from other developers, progress is made in small steps. Why release rF2 without a popular feature?

I can think of a few things: Not just window nets that might catch in the wind, not everything can be tied down to a point of absolute immovability. There are lose cables and mounted fans on the dash, the tiny antenna on the front of formula cars (that wobbles a lot to all types of forces) car bonnet, other misc panels, etc. Any object that can flex due to g-force and inertia, wiggle in the wind, or vibrate to the engine revs. Then there's the unmistakable common sound of your keys jangling and swaying in the ignition. People love small details like that, it's all about how much extra work somebody wants to put into the model.

Mind you, I'd say it's worse to have something in sight that obviously should be moving than not have it at all, either because it's too complicated to animate with keyframes or because bone-based animations (like in source games) wasn't supported by the game engine. Even if the animation is really simple though, the most important thing is that the feature was supported to begin with because some clever modder whose willing to put the time in, always finds a way to figure a problem out.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011
  12. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Registered

The net on the screenshot looks a bit loose. That's why ;)

Things like this would surely make the experience more immersive, but I think there are FAR more important things to a sim than flapping window nets.

Can you please find out and tell us about the progress in the sound engine?

13. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Carbonfibre, that probably would require dragging physics engine to all those calculations (but of course not that precise like for tyres or suspension)... might be interesting to read, how difficult that feature would be to implement into rF 2 :)

14. Carbonfibre

Carbonfibre Registered

LesiU, yes I was thinking a lot about how sim-cockpit immersion could be improved outside of the basics like sound and graphics and I was quite fascinated by (what I think is) bone-based animations in Valve games; very subtle 'cute' animation like Zoey's hair in L4D1, the Jar of boomer bile in L4D2 or the antenna on portal 2 co-op bots. I didn't notice it much until they really pointed it out on a dev video but it does indeed react correctly to physics.
    Shift 2 has wobbling mirrors and flexing bonnet and Dirt 3 has the hanging fuzzy dice and wipers. Also we've had the head-tilting driver helmet animations in rFactor all along and I didn't know why an existing animation system couldn't be applied elsewhere for rF2. I mean, how hard can it be? :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2011
  15. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

And I would like to hear sound of flapping nets in rF2 ;)
    C'mon guys. They have no final shaders, no postprocessing, no sky, no correct lighting. Don't ask for things, otherwise we will wait our whole life for rf2.

16. JoshJ81

JoshJ81 Registered

Not really sure why it is important that the netting moves? Generally, I like look forward through the windscreen to see what is moving or coming my direction. Should ISI install a fan on top of your monitors so you can feel the wind as well? GEEZ!!!!! I really like how the WIP bring such questions and demands of what people want to see as if ISI has to do it. ISI will be gold when rFactor 2 releases because there will be so much finally unveiled and by then it will be to late because they already bought it LOL!

Nice WIP to date, I like that you guys are slowly showing us what cars that might be released with 1v. Keep up the good work ISI, our league patiently awaits this release as we gratefully still use rF1.

17. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

Yes MaXyM!! Sorry! I vote for none of that crap. If thats what you want, go play an arcade game. I WANT ALL MY COMPUTING POWER FOR FEEL AND PHYSICS. I always have a strong computer, but I HATE it when its power is wasted on fluff. To have someone have to waste there time coding for this junk is just appalling. Sorry!

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

We can race single-colour prisms around a wireframe track with fantastic feel and physics, but it won't help immersion much. I agree you can go too far, but little touches like that (if appropriate) always add to the experience. I don't think it's a make-or-break issue, but if the bare bones of a system that would allow objects to move about either 'randomly' (with configurable input 'noise' from aero) or with G-force was able to be implemented in a later update I'm sure modders would soon have stuff in there. And for sure we'd have a few cars come out with fluffy dice, nets, keys, and all manner of other objects floating around and people will say, well, nice objects, crap car... and it'll settle down to a realistic level for most mods.

Not sure about the switches to be honest. Can't really move by itself, so then you need to get the arm moving over to flick it... will that same arm be changing gears? Adjusting brake bias/antiroll bars? Setting boost or fuel mixture? Could start to turn into a logistical nightmare without an octopus behind the wheel.

19. JoshJ81

JoshJ81 Registered

Well, lets not ask for too much because then we start to have EA Sports or Codemaster games that are all about the "fluff" just enough to distract you from the real reason that they are hiding the fact that they are no good at physics. I know it's just one thing but if you add all the other "things" that have been asked for it becomes to much. Besides, I'm 99% sure rF2 will be at least one step up from rF1 :)

20. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Registered

You know what? Before rFactor I thought arms on the screen were an important feature. Now I'm happy with my own.