[solved... not solved... maybe solved!] Thrustmaster TX loses center, plus more

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Ricknau, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Like the title says, it seemingly randomly loses center. Can often perceive a bit of a jolt so it's instantaneous. I had thought it only happens when FFB stressed like when I apply a quick pull or turn hard enough to feel a bit of road resistance. But last time I was not turning hard, like a sweeping curve.

Also have had it kick into its self cal routine turning itself from left lock to right lock. I get a screen display something like "controller input has changed" or the like.

Thrustmaster has not replied yet to my emails regarding this problem.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Do you suppose its a Thrustmaster glitch or a rF2 glitch?

EDIT: The following Launcher no-start problem is solved. http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/23225-Launcher-not-starting?p=345027&highlight=#post345027

Also, this seems weird but might be related, I started trying different rf2 in-game wheel profiles to see if any fixed the problem. Now, seemingly about the same time, I cannot get the launcher to open. I had this problem weeks ago but it seemed to fix itself after a couple of build upgrades. But now its back. Reinstalled the core and it helped some. Before reinstall it simply would NEVER start the launcher. Now it starts it like once. I must reboot to get it to start again.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2015
  2. atlantakat

atlantakat Registered

My TX behaves erratically at times too.

Among the intermittent problems I get: the "controller input has changed" in race, the TX won't be calibrated in the game which leads to the wheel going to one axis and then sticking there, long load times if I change controller settings in game, TX won't fully calibrate at start up requiring a USB unplug/replug, system sometimes won't recognize the TX when plugged into USB port, TX control panel mis-identifies the TX as a TS500 (which has completely different mappings) and occasional erratic upshifts and downshifts with some steering wheel glitches too.

My best guess is that my connector between the USB cord/plug and the TX unit cord is not tight. I can usually get the problems cleared up by exiting the game, making sure the connection is tight, checking to make sure the TX is showing in control panel and then triggering an effect. The wheel then calibrates and works fine -- until the connector works loose again.

So, my TX problemsits are not an rFactor 2 problem as far as I can tell. Its a dodgy cord issue for me.

3. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Man I thought I had a bunch of problems!

Well I've made big progress. In addition to solving my Launcher no-start problem I think I have solved my erratic "input controller change was detected" warning causing the recalibration and also the off-centering of the wheel. And I think the solution is in line with your suspicions about your USB cable. For me it seems to have been my pedal cable connection to the base unit. I noticed that the plug going into the base unit (the little telephone style plug) was being pulled hard at a right angle. (Poor cable routing on my part.) I relieved that tension and taped the cable down so it can't happen again. That seems (again I'm afraid to declare total victory) to have fixed both problems.

I can see how a flickering loss of connection to the pedals might trigger a "input controller change was detected" and the ensuing re-cal. I'm not sure how it would cause the steering wheel to lose center. But for now though (knock on wood) it seems to have fixed both. I'll write back if I do suffer either problem again.

4. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Crap. Did it again... "input controller change was detected" then wheel kicks into it's auto calibration rotations. All plugs/cables are snug. Still hoping to see if anyone else has had this experience and might have a solution. Not the most frequently visited forum.

Atlantakat, you still convinced it is your plug connections? You have any more instances?

5. Descoat

Descoat Registered

Mine does not cause any problem.
    Which windows do you use?
    What I make is put it as a T500 and remap.

But my special problem comes if I mix a th8rs shifter and the TX or the T500rs. It makes a strange lag of the steering in windows7 but not in 8.1 or not if I use a logitech wheel with th8rs in windows 7.

It only happens to me and I think it's caused by the usb drivers of my asus maximus V formula, because in w8.1 it's no necessary to install any usb drivers and it works.

Try like mine and find the t500 profile in rfactor2 instead the TX.

6. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

I can't help but I have a tx as well with no issues. Strange.

7. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

I have something new to try. I read in an InsideSimRacing forum of someone having same exact prob but with T500.

http://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/5520-t500-rs-unpredictably-restarting-itself/

Someone there suggested power supply might be the prob. Made me think about my power situation. All my stuff (PC with 780ti, speaker amp, 3 monitors, wheel) runs off a 700W UPS. Got to thinking that heavy FFB, graphics and sound will surely put that thing over the edge. So last night I plugged the wheel straight into the wall. And now here's an amazing coincidence, or maybe a tell tale sign... This morning when I came in to bring my PC out of sleep mode it was completely off and would not start. Reason? My UPS is dead. Not surprising being that its pretty old. This gives more weight to the lack of power theory. And I'd swear the wheel feels stronger running off the wall. Maybe placebo effect but I turned the gain down.

So we'll see. Just did an hour of league racing in a hot room with no trouble. Gosh it would be nice to have this solved.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2015
  8. atlantakat

atlantakat Registered

Hi Ricknau. Would be interested to know if your power supply was the cause of your issues with the TX.

Mine continues to act up from time to time -- mainly calibration issues. I read elsewhere that the best fix for a loose "breakaway" connection is to remove the connector and splice the wires from the unit to the USB cord directly but I have not tried that.

A bit off subject, but I wonder if anyone else with a TX is experiencing extraordinarily long load times after making changes to control settings. For example, if I enter or exit a practice session, the session timer and screen freezes sometimes for over a minute before the game unfreezes and the menu comes up. I get the same thing with rFactor and GSCE.

I think the days are numbered for my TX.....

9. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Atlantakat,

I have not had anymore instances where it jumps into calibration/initialization mode (the full left-right rotations). That's with about 6-8 hours of run time.

I did have one (and only one) instance of it losing center. This was very shortly after I made the change to bypassing the UPS. But then never again. So that one has me puzzled though I don't think about it much anymore... Boy I hope I didn't just jinx myself!!

Have you made sure your power source is adequate?

Btw, no problem for me with long load times after making controller changes.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2015