Solved - New UI - unable to load a controller profile

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by MileSeven, Dec 16, 2020.

1. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

The straw that broke the camels back for me...

Last night, the New UI started to refuse to acknowledge the Load (profile) button in Assignments. The button changes state when clicked, but refused to allow the list of available controller profiles to be loaded.
    I tried exiting rf2, restarting the PC, validated files - everything. I then made the fatal mistake of pressing ‘Detect’ again - this loaded the default profile for my SC2 Pro wheelbase but would not recognise my pedals - so I couldn’t even reassign all my controls....

This forced me to revert to the old UI - which let me load my various controller profiles without any problems.

Note - as far as I’m aware, the Load (profile) functionality worked fine on the initial switch to the new UI (will need to re-test to confirm as I don’t often load profiles but had to due to a rig update) - so something has broken and not been fixed by file (re)validation.

2. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Boing - back to the top.

After the latest update forced us back to the new UI, I find I STILL cannot load a new controller profile (when logged on to an online race server at least). Pressing the Load button in Assignments does nothing other than flash the button at me - it does *not* allow me to browse or select a controller profile as it should.

As I can't now update settings properly, it's back to the deprecated old UI.

Please find a way to fix!

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I've only briefly seen this screen, but have you tried clicking the profile first, then clicking Load?

4. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

@Lazza - you don’t get to see the available profiles before clicking load, I think... It’s not like the old UI where you cycle through the list first.

Someone else in the Simucube world said they’d had the same problem and only ‘fixed’ it by completely reinstalling rf2 - which I’m definitely not going to do due to the monumental DLC downloading that often results...

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I thought it was the other way around lol

I'm sure the new UI shows the list above the load button. Now I don't trust my memory on how the old UI did it... though I also never used that feature :p

6. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

No, what it shows is the list of USB controllers - it does not show the list of controller profiles (I.e. the variously-named JSONs distributed with base button mappings and those custom made by the user).

The old UI had a left/right-cycle pair of buttons and then a Load to activate the one you want. I just went back (for the final time until it’s fixed) to the new UI and it’s definitely broken for me. As a related aside, the old UI was fairly helpful in that if you pressed a previously-assigned button in the mapping menus, it would highlight it so that you knew that the press was recognised and could see the assignment directly. The new UI just leaves you hanging and the easiest way to check your profile has the correct profile is actually to reassign the relevant keys...

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I realise when I said "I'm sure" it could be taken to mean "I'm pretty sure..." but in this case I actually meant it, because I was helping someone to load a profile and took a screenshot of the list - without loading (which I don't do myself).

I think the new UI system is allowing it to go wrong at times, I've had some discussions with someone whose UI is behaving in very strange ways and there are already some posts of incomplete UI screens.

I bet you don't see this:

upload_2020-12-26_11-40-50.png

svictor likes this.
  8. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

@Lazza - Aha! Thanks for that clarification.

No, I don’t get the Configuration list at all*

*Basically, I just see the equivalent of “Configuration mine-modified” with the Save/Load buttons directly beneath.

...and in any case, I don’t get a multiple-entry list at all! All of the usual configuration files still exist in the Controller folder and the old UI finds them and lets you cycle through them just fine. I *don’t* have an excessive number of items in the folder (I tidied it up a while back when I upgraded my wheel) - so it’s not a list overload that’s causing this to fail.

Still reproducible and needs fixing on my rig if further info. is required....

9. svictor

svictor Registered

I am also having this issue, the preset list doesn't show at all, only empty space. I managed to find a workaround by deleting all unused .JSON file inside rFactor 2\UserData\Controller folder, and preset list appeared. Hope this will be fixed soon.

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Are those files still in your recycle bin? I wonder if any of the names have unusual characters that might have broken the UI code? (random guess, just curious...)

11. Mauro

Mauro Registered

just try to load another controller profile
    new UI become crazy. i had to kill rf2 process then i returned to old UI

.... what a fu*k of beta testing have you done S397 in this 2 years?!? :)

12. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Solved for me.

I found a Zip file in my controllers folder. With it present, no alternative profiles were visible in game. Delete it (and any non JSON files you may have) and Bingo! the list of profiles loads correctly.

Should be simple to fix in the next update, S297 - just filter out non-JSON files when trying to populate the list.

Lazza likes this.