Solved: Corrupt shader pattern on Carbody

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by dradecki, Sep 2, 2018.

1. dradecki

dradecki Registered

ModDev.jpg This has been driving me nuts. I have tried several different shaders for the carbody that I have seen used in other mods,but no matter what I do I get this weird pattern. The darker the color the more pronounced it looks. Anyone have any ideas to get rid of it?

[​IMG]

2. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Are all the textures using UVW chl1?
    Does the pattern resemble any of your textures?

3. dradecki

dradecki Registered

Unfortunately no, I looked at that. It's driving me nuts since I am copying textures from other mods just to test out that theory without luck.

4. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

For me this looks like a wrong cubemap. Could it be that a wrong texture is set for it?
    You could set a t1 cubemap shader just to see if the problem still exists with a more simple shader.

5. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Could also be a bad mapping.
    Is the car cratch made or a conversion or an in rf2 already existing one?
    As @FuNK! has said, use a simple T1 shader but without a cube map, to be sure that the mapping is correct.

6. jpalesi

jpalesi Registered

- Try to copy mapping channel 1 into channel 2.
    - Check if specular map is indeed using channel 1
    - Alternatively to FuNK!'s suggestion, try a simple Specular Map T1 shader and/or Bump Specular Map T1.

It's a mod that works perfectly in rF1, so it's either a wrong setting somewhere, or something rF2 does differently.

7. dradecki

dradecki Registered

UpdatedModDev.jpg

Hi JP good to hear from ya.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, I have been doing a lot of experiments based on everybody's input and I think I have an idea. I think I need to create a new specular map. One hint is the effect is more pronounced on the darker the color. It doesn't appear to show up in whites and yellows, but as you get to the reds and blacks it is really noticeable.

Solved: Ah hah, it was my specular map. Used AwesomeBump 5.0 to help generate a new specular and it looks 100% better. Thanks again everyone for your input.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    Bernd likes this.
  8. jpalesi

jpalesi Registered

Likewise, D :) Good to see you around.

I'm not 100% certain that you really solved the problem, but it's more like you made is less visible. I'm still seeing lines, like scratches that shouldn't be there. The only scratches you should see is after Andretti crashed the car again, not when brand new.
    IMO you should try a checkered spec map, and if it appears weird, then there's something going with the mapping channel.

9. dradecki

dradecki Registered

I agree, I do need to refine the specular map, but at least I know now where to concentrate my effects. I also need to work with the damage bump map. Lastly I need to work on the windscreen.