So difficult to join servers, no info where to download cars/tracks, ridiculous

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Woodee

Woodee Registered

One thing that worries me about this system if anyone can change the getmod address of any mod, would this mean we could have, for example, a track with 0.9 version but two files have completely different getmod addresses? Is this a bad thing?

2. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

i would think that for league purposes - what we have is fine. With a league you can just provide download links for folks in the league to download the necessary content including the vmod. All the problems we are discussing would be moot.

3. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

The sig doesn't change when changing the URL. So if someone already has the public release with broken GetMod URL, they will not be prompted to download the track/car a second time. ISI put some thought into this. Only the MAS files, component name and version number impact the signature. Everything in the "info" button is free to change.

4. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

In our league we use GetMod but I also do a full MultiCmp each time I do an update. So if people want to download the full multi and install manually they can. If you have several computers that you want to run the mod on I could see this being handy. But generally it is faster to use GetMod because often times only a few cars get updated. So rather than downloading 800MB, you just download maybe 75MB or so (assuming the sounds cmp isn't also changed).

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Exactly, so then there is a point in including 20 tracks in a Vmod, because you don't know which tracks you may eventually want to play on, and so as to not limit you and the others on the server on which tracks are available to use you then include as many tracks in the vmod as you can, but then the more tracks you have in the vmod the more people can't join. Not to mention I had the problem with 2 tracks on a server of 6, basically 1 out of 3.

Overall I think the rF2 system is better, with the IDs, autodownload from either the server itself or a URL, etc. ISI just need to make the system work without the whole tracks issue thing we've been discussing / complaining about, and according to Noel they are which is great to hear.

6. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I look forward to using your util sometime. I couldn't get the extract thing working fully on my Win 7 64bit system. I don't do too well with command line stuff anymore :)

7. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

The extract tool had a bug which I finally solved. Not sure when you last downloaded it. The extract tool has command line options, but you don't have to use them. Just use the right click context menus.

8. Woodee

Woodee Registered

yup, the right click menus didn't work for me.

9. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

So I just tried to hop on a pubby with a friend. We are on a Steam Voice call trying to figure out what server we both can get on. The problem has nothing to do with ISI, it has to do with bonehead admins.

-1 server has half a dozen tracks, of course I am missing 1
    -1 server has several tracks and 1 of them is a custom track with the name of the group on it....
    -1 server is called BLAHBLAHBLAH-GT2-Portugal and when I get the rfmod and join..... I have a selection of G4 and G6 Howstons to choose from..... on Portugal. Hey at least the bonehead got that one right

Every track it's the same crap. One had v1.43 of the GT-R, but v1.41 of the Corvette! The reason there are so many empty servers is that there is just clutter. If we could wipe out the useless stupid servers (if you have a server that's been up for a long time and no one has joined- GET RID OF IT) and if admins could limit non-passworded public servers to just 2 tracks max (and don't make them custom versions of common tracks) then we could have pubby racing. But server admins have to smarten up, kill dead servers, update old content and standardize.

10. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Nah.... we just need the filter back so we don't need to see ones we can't get into ;)

11. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

12. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

What if you get your own league admins to smarten up and make Get Mod to work:confused:
    Ask those Copy Cats not to update old content and standardize before they know how Get Mod works.

Noel has created a new tool witch is easy to use for BES bonehead admins.

13. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

This.

14. Woodee

Woodee Registered