So, Automobilista is out...

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by ECAR_Tracks, Sep 11, 2016.

1. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

What do you say, guys?

Does it really build the rubber on the track as rF2 does? Marbles?

AI drivers are blind as rF1 used to be?

Rain, night races? Endurance available? SCE was limited to 100 laps.

I'd like, if possible, to read some words from who bought, I won't bother to pay the full price of AAA new simulation title for a marginally improved pack of rF1 mods if it be the case. I like Reiza work but I also like of SSD space, so no fun if it's not significant improvement from GSCE.

2. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

There are things i dont like about it, there are things rf2 should ve had since build 59.. and there are also some solutions that are only mid-way there (like if you miss shift)
    I am not a big fan of their menus the driving feels, well i prefer the feel of rF2, AMS really feels like.. improved rF1... i dont feel as much weight shifting in FFB, its a bit duller. I havent driven it enough to able to tell more.

The selection of cars is quite good, its more focused on Formula like cars, there is one from every era, from late 60s to 2015. Tintops not so many, there is a full grid of what appears to be aa WTCC like cars. Some offroaders, Mini for a small FWD...sort of Rf2s Clio equivalent. there are Flat6s there but that is about it.. some american V8s.. but nothing like GT1/2/3/4 i think

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

The Dynamic Track is different to RF2s, instead of the whole surface being dynamic only the racing line is on a per track basis, Reiza have made sure to make these racing lines "wide" so it's not a tight line of rubber if you get what I mean.

The cars feel great to drive, Niels knows his stuff and he is widely respected in the scene. The SuperV8 is the best car I've driven in any Sim (although I'm yet to try the iRacing version) and I've had hours of fun with it.

The tracks are very detailed, again a wealth of talent creating them and they feel great to drive around.

Graphics...they're good enough for me but others may differ as they're essentially boosted up RF1 graphics, it's all about the feel for me though. As long as the graphics aren't 20years old I'm happy!

AI is good but not great, not on par with RF2 yet but hopeful they may close although I doubt they'll better ISI with AMS.

Menu system, it's a menu.....I care not for what it looks like!

The Brit Pack coming soon looks fabulous and I'm excited for what their next sim (tentatively titled Reiza17) will bring to the table. The future is bright, consistent updates from a hard working bunch of guys who used to be Modders doing this for free so they deserve some respect for where they've got too.

If you have reservations over the price simply wait for the usual Steam Sale then give it a go, personally I like it a lot and it was well worth the pennies :)

4. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

Thanks Mike and Marc, good feedback :)

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Forgot about the FFB, I find it very good, takes a bit of getting used too if you're used to RF2s, a bit of Realfeel.ini editing to faff about with but once that's done it's very nice.

6. Emery

Emery Registered

MarcG's review is in-line with my own experience. Endurance & day/night is available, but no rain. Excellent consistency in the track artwork, looks like real good rF1, yet there's something about the way things sit on the ground that puts me off ever so slightly (shadows? ground lines?). I didn't care for the gfx filter, so turned it off. Love having the historic tracks, thoroughly enjoy Formula Vee.

I wasn't going to buy it since, in theory, the new title "Reiza 2017" is around the corner, but then I came into some surplus funds and splurged by buying the other sims so I could compare/contrast them.

7. stonec

stonec Registered

Yep, Reiza has made some clever solutions to certain things that are still missing from rF2. Take the gearbox model for example. Not the most sophisticated or realistic model on the planet, but it works well enough for 99% of us and certainly it didn't take them many weeks to code. I wish some of the things with rF2 were taken a similar approach to. The model doesn't have to be rocket science, some basic improvements to things like rain and gearbox would please most of us.

Regarding AMS, it is now far enough advanced that it doesn't feel like driving rF1 anymore to me, the feeling is now somewhere between rF1 and rF2. I'm afraid it won't be a big commercial success unless they re-write some of the rF1 things (32-bit memory limit limits their grid sizes, no visual post-processing etc.), but they are one a good path.

8. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

9. bravotangosix

bravotangosix Registered

While Automobilista is a brilliant drive with plenty of choice of tracks due to a good basic package plus the Patrick Giranthon Megapack. I just find the vehicles to be a tiny bit.....numb when compared to rF2s 'full of life' cars (and I'm referring to the good ones here APEX, Pixsim's T280, BT44 etc). The latest beta build with the GTR and Brands Hatch is really very well done indeed. It just keeps getting better with every build it really does and if rF2 never existed I would be more than perfectly happy with the software. It would be my go-to choice for racing. But rF2 does exist and its vehicles just communicate a level beyond what AM can ATM. I just feel quite a bit more connected to the world when using rF2 (well beyond any other software I've ever used).

If you can, buy it. You won't regret it. It stands head and shoulders above rF1 but just doesn't seem to be able to make that leap up to rF2. IMO I think it'll prove a leap too far but its a bloody damn fine attempt. (I keep going back for its 'different' selection of vehicles. RallyX, Montana's, Super Tucks and a few others too.)

10. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

I bought last Friday and my felling is about the same than yours. Yes, some old rF1 aspects are still there, a bit of lack of feedback at low speeds, sometimes you need to "guess" you either should throttle the car or not at a slow corner exit. rF2 is more solid in this aspect and, indeed, rF2 cars seems to be more responsible in terms of physics, more "alive". Another Automobilista con is its AI, of course they're not that bad, but all in all is rF1 AI: no defensive line, AIs shy to try overtake you and unawareness of the player's car position. The AIW of circuits is very well done but it's blocked by a core limitation. And, no weather conditions too.

But, there's some pros that really excited me. FFB: the old and good realfeel.dll doing miracles, I'd dare to say the FFB is the best than all race-sims. rF2 FFB is also good, but there's some downs as F2s (ice front wheels) and the overdone steering-pulling of FWD cars. I've been lapping with FWD at the limit in circuits and my steering-wheel feel there's nothing to do with that. I think the best FFB rF2 car would be the average in Automobilista. Reiza did a impressive work in this field. Excellent.

Another pro is, paradoxically, the graphics. The overall colour balance of the tracks is very well done. As I've been at several of the real locations portrayed in game, I can say it's extremely immersive and matches well with real location. There's here a noticeable enhancement from rF1 original engine here, there's fresnel reflections, tarmac looks very believable, it seems they create a shader for vegetation, etc. The tracks are not rich in details as ISI official tracks are, but the overall looking is more natural. rF2 tracks have a natural yellowish due atmospherics particles simulation, AMS tracks are more clean. I really didn't expect that quality. Reflections, plastic and metal are the weakness, with cube-maps doing a poor job for a 2016 title, but it'll not disturb you except when you're driving very slow in the pits, for example. But the car-body reflection is much improved since GSCE.

Another pro is something that I really miss in rF2 nowadays: the plastic deformation. Cars' bodies kneads, deforms, there's visible damage, losing many more parts, etc.

Their "real-road" system is far away of rF2 system, for sure, but adds some dynamics during a weekend race. Not ideal, but interesting and even better than other sims except rF2.

Car dynamics are amazing even standing a step behind rF2. Of course the elected car official list would be appear weird for non-brazilian racers since there's Montanas, Formula-V, etc, but when you get them on track, the name of car is the less important, they behaves very distinctively and in a plausible way according to their main characteristics. Montanas are a blast, they have a loose rear-end as they should be, plenty of power and limited tyre grip, I can get enough to race with Montana.

Well, that's it. It's worth money, I like Reiza guys approach of business, no incomplete features left by the way, solid products.

11. bravotangosix

bravotangosix Registered

As you've stated, Reiza and Lunimis have worked wonders to make Automobilista as good as they have and this is why I'm truly excited for what Studio397 can do for rF2. If this is what they've done for rF1/GSCE then we are really in for a treat. I cannot wait!

ECAR_Tracks and Araripe like this.
  12. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Well there is a Reiza and Niels leading on what Luminis did too. I wish they'd work together in rF2 from now on. For sure would be a sim good enough to give a very hard time for other sims or "sims"

Araripe likes this.
  13. bravotangosix

bravotangosix Registered

Just had to come back to this thread as I've just played the latest build of AMS (beta) with the new Formula Ford (amateur and advanced models) and the Ultima (race and road versions). This sim is sublime. Truly fantastic. Still a few things to be ironed out like the collision detection which still seems a bit wonky but by god the handling of the vehicles has come a looooooong way and continues to progress. Had to come back to update my previous post due to the continual evolution of this software. Highly recommended even if its until Studio397 bring rF2 up to speed with their to-do list. Back to the track.

ECAR_Tracks and Araripe like this.