So about that new UI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lino Carreira, Dec 7, 2017.

1. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Listen from the 45min mark. Marcel briefly discusses the UI.

2. jymp

jymp Registered

They should at least show a updated pic of the new UI now and then.

avenger82 likes this.
  3. Pales

Pales Registered

Well, I was right in saying that this is starting to become a bit of a meme now. Any particular reason why Studio 397 are so incredibly non-transparent? I really don't think it's helping them.

4. Flaux

Flaux Registered

As far as I can see, this is your first post in this thread. So,....what do you mean?
    (I'm tempted to say that right now you are the one not very transparent with the rest of us.)

;-)

Anyway. We already know from the last few roadmaps that S397 decided to release the new UI together with the fully integrated competition system. So that's why it took longer then expected. And in this month roadmap you get a forecast to what happens next:

I can't think of anything else they could tell us at this point to be honest!?

5. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

What I did not understand, but maybe it's related to my bad English, it's about WHEN we get out of the UI.

End of December, start Q1, end Q1, Q2 ????

The wait begins to be long, and users deserve this information (approximate, necessarily, we do not ask for a specific day).

Pales likes this.
  6. Pales

Pales Registered

During 2017, Studio 397 conducted an interview at an Expo, highlighting that the User Interface was weeks away from a “beta” test. We’re now almost in 2019, with hardly any images or a video to showcase what was proposed..

The development has been incredibly, incredibly slow, and despite the competition structure coming into fruition, I would still expect more than what we’ve got at the moment. It’s actually quite bizarre how you’re seemingly okay with this.

F1Aussie likes this.
  7. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

The ui involves all the boring and painstaking work, which take time, along time, it took iracing yrs to redo theirs, and they released it with missing features which they have slowly started to add since it’s release, I’m not sure but it may have been released in beta afaik.

Would more pics be nice to see, sure, but at the same time it ruins the surprise to what they have come up with

Testing the ui involves a lot of going round and round in circles, as they find and have to fix bugs and errors.
    I don’t envy people who do that stuff at all, I ain’t got the patience or brains for it.

The last expo they did, I can remember marcel said quarter 1 or quarter 2 2019 for expected release, I’m willing to wait as long as they don’t release a rushed mess that still belongs in beta

I will add, I don’t really care about a new ui, I just do league races so it’s just two clicks and I’m in, I don’t mind how it looks now either.
    But at the same time there’s lots of functionality missing in it for folks who do more than this pleb writing this post, and there’s people who like the blingtastic gamey look, so I understand why folks are eager to have the new ui.

But as in life, wait must we young padawan

8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

issue: rF2 would benefit from a new user interface.
    solution: create a new user interface integrating all the current rF2 menu items with a host of new additions.
    real world: S397 whipped out the UI two years ago and has been sitting on it just to annoy us.
    or: S397 has found issues with the interface that are requiring significant research, and coding & testing to implement their desired vision. Taking far longer than anyone on the team anticipated.

Rui Santos likes this.
  9. AMillward

AMillward Registered

They said it's the latter a few times. Unless you're being sarcastic in which case- Ignore me!

Problem is, people seem to think it's a quick job. S397 bought a broken product and fixing it will take some time.

Only thing I'm dreading is when it does eventually get released people will moan about it. I must be the only person not that bothered by it and is fine with how it is.

Flaux and McKiernan like this.
  10. filippu

filippu Registered

Except that they said that since that the old code was so bad, they decided to rewrite everything in HTML because it was much easier.
    Fast forward over two years (and by the time it's done, it may well be two and a half years), and the easy HTML is still not done, and all the competitions so far all have been plagued by issues, which is not promising for the future.
    So it's not so much that they "found issues", but rather created issues themselves.

11. patchedupdemon

You have a funny way of looking at it, I forgive you as you’re blinded by the salt

12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Thought it would be put around now

But from various mentions it seems they are doing a whole lot more on it then just a new look UI

It’s going to be a much bigger update/release which is good news

I’m guessing it can’t be to far away
    Lots to look forward to

Rui Santos and mantasisg like this.
  13. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

Two or three roadmaps ago they already said the new target for the UI is Q1 2019. I don't see the point to keep complaining about the delay. Wait until Q1, if it's not released by then, feel free to complain again.

14. Emery

Emery Registered

Pretty sure the easy HTML was done ages ago, but then S397 decided to integrate online competition features (for which a huge back-end server farm had to be created, tested, and debugged) and possibly an offline championship manager that isn't just a tacky tack-on. Rather than release an interface that had a bunch of dead-end stubs, they've decided pushing off the release until the back-end was complete.

I can well-imagine the added features looking very simple & easy to use, but the behind-the-scenes code is incredibly complex.

15. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I found what I had noted simexpo, English is not easy for me :

UI scheduled between Christmas 2018 and Q1 2019.

I admit that I had chosen the most favorable date, because I begins to get impatient (Christmas 2018).

In short, it would make a nice little Christmas present, this UI.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  16. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

was that a typo? Q1 2018 or Q1 2019??

DrivingFast likes this.
  17. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

yes!

18. Louis

Louis Registered

:)

19. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Didn't they say we'd be getting some toys for Christmas?

fsuarez79 likes this.
  20. patchedupdemon

They sure did, but come on now, this a sim, toys belong to those simcade titles
    o_O:rolleyes::cool::p:D