Smoothing VS FEI (fanatec)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GertjanD, Dec 3, 2020.

1. GertjanD

GertjanD Registered

I got myself a nice clubsport V2.5 wheel (upgrade from G29). I am looking for the right settings. I like a lot of detail but if I run FEI high (at 80-100) and smoothing low (0-2) the curbs are really bad in terms of rattling my wheel and desk. Quite similar to the G29. What settings do you recommend? Is it better to have higher smoothing in game or lower FEI in the Fanatec tuning settings. Thanks for your help! Of course other recommend settings are also very welcome!

2. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

GertjanD and memoNo1 like this.
  3. David Short

David Short Registered

Hi GertjanD

FFB settings are quite subjective and everyone will have their own preferences but here are a couple things you can try. Personally I have 0 smoothing as I don't want to lose any force that my wheel is capable of and 30 on average for FEI adjusting up or down depending on the car.

That said in you're rFactor 2 files Userdata>Player>controller.JSON there are some files you can tinker with to dial in your preferred settings

look for
    "Rumble strip Magnitude" this setting adjusts how strong the effect is from 0 no force up to 1 full force adjust to your liking (mines currently at 0.5)
    "Rumble strip pull factor" this adjusts how strong the wheel pulls left or right over curbs again adjust accordingly

One last thing you might want to change and I don't know if it does anything(might be old leftover code)but can't hurt to try
    "Steering torque Capability" I think the default is 2.5 nM of torque you might want to change that to 8 nM as i think thats what the V2.5 is capable of. If this setting indeed does anything this will at least let your wheel operate at full capacity

Cheers
    ps. was typing this so didn't see Highlandwalkers reply with link which is a very useful and informative thread

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    GertjanD likes this.
  4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It will only affect cars with a nominal max torque below 8Nm (there may be a couple, but not many) and in that case it will reduce the FFB strength. It doesn't provide any extra features or ramp up the strength. (Just for info; this setting confuses people)

GertjanD and David Short like this.
  5. Highlandwalker

I increased my "Steering torque Capability" to 8, it seemed to increase low level detail slightly and I could feel when a slide was about to start which made it easier to catch. I don't think it was my imagination, that was the only difference I could feel.

GertjanD and David Short like this.
  6. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Mate take the Settings from Highlandlandwalker and you are absolutley fine.
    I promise.

GertjanD likes this.
  7. GertjanD

GertjanD Registered

Thanks for all the responses. Great community here! I will certaintly look and use the settings suggested. With respect to my specific question, do you know whether it makes a difference to use smoothing ingame or rather through the FEI setting?

One more question: why does fanatec have two strenght settings, overall FFB strength and Force effect strength? Aren't those the same?

8. Highlandwalker

Use FEI setting in combination with in game smoothing to get the detail and feel you want, my currant settings are FEI-80, in game smoothing 2, FFB minimum torque 2.5. FEI adjustment are in increments 10 and sometime it's too much of a difference from one setting to the other so I use in game smoothing to compensate to get an in between setting. You do not want too use too much in game smoothing because you will start to loose detail, 2 is probably as high as you want to go. Set the CAR SPECIFIC FFB MULT too 0.70 a good starting point. The default of 1.0 is much too high for practically all cars in rf2, S397 and mod cars, I think I only have one car set to 1.0.
    FFB strength is how much total torque the wheel base produces, you need this at 100% to get the max detail. Force effect is how much FFB you will feel through the wheel, if you have this too high it will drown out detail, my currant setting is 60%. I do not recommend the Fanatec settings recommended for RF2, I personally think there absolutely awful. Hope this has answered your questions and has been of help

GertjanD likes this.