Smoke Effects :(

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Magzire, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Magzire

Magzire Registered

Not sure if this been mentioned before but the smoke effects is well overdone, either braking or talking sharp fast bends causes a wall of smoke which is so unrealistic and very distracting. Just looks completely wrong imo!

Will this be changed in a further update cause its really annoying.

2. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

There has been some talk on this subject...not sure if there is any improvement coming to this area. I believe it will be changed for better.

3. Blue fellow

Blue fellow Registered

I noticed that with the Clio's in particular. It doesn't build up to a big cloud, it just starts out as a big cloud it seemed like.

On the topic of smoke, when viewing smoke clouds in the Formula Two, the windscreen sees right through the smoke, the the rest of the smoke cloud displays fine though.

4. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I love the smoke effect, but yes I think it sometimes looks a bit overdone, also be good if there were a tad more transparently if poss

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2013
  5. Rocksor

Rocksor Registered

To be honest I don't like any of the visual effects that are cause by tires. Its the same with driving through grass or gravel. It has only one intesity and so its mostly overdone and besides it's alwas ugly. Id like to see volumetric clouds of smoke or sand instead of semi transparent textures!

And yes there has been a discussion on this. But I don't know if any member of ISI has given a statement on this yet.

6. hammad800

hammad800 Registered

I have to agree. Having a car lock up in front of you emits so much and such dense smoke that you can't see a frikking thing!

7. raekwon

raekwon Registered

exactly... this effect need to be fixed!!! its just tyres smoke not a smoke grenade

8. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Yes please, more steps to make the smoke granades build up to a bigger puff of smoke.

9. raekwon

raekwon Registered

nice... but we are not talk about drifting...

10. Golanv

Golanv Registered

We are talking about the amount of smoke we get when wheel locks up during braking. The point of the video was, as you can see (from drifting), that the amount during full lock braking to a powerslide with extremely heavy wheelspin is quite different, as it gradually increases when the rubber heats up more and more from the friction.
    There is times for huge puffs of smoke, but merely locking a front wheel while braking, isnt one of them.
    I should have used videos like this in conjunction I suppose:

11. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

I think the brake pedal of average peripherals makes difficult to negotiate the lock, but in real life too the abuse of lock can generate a big dense smoke cloud.

The exemple i love more than any other is in the video here,

where Gilles asked "the impossible to do" to the tires and to the brakes, especially approaching T1 in the second lap of the video (0:38 s).

12. Golanv

Golanv Registered

That was just as insane as it was awesome racing. Thanks for that clip.

13. Antaeus

Antaeus Registered

but you dont understand that your tire smoke is to heavy in base, your tire's smoke file is for any sliding tread, if someone have slide in corner, little, your file of tire smoke generate maximum and we have on track smoke like on fire of building, everytime when someone sliding

in ../Core/Locations/commonmaps.mas you have tiresmoke.tga file, please replace it with whitesmoke.tga or whitesmokelow.tga (after little corection) and look on difference!

its so simple and we must wait on it a long time.. why?

if you cant do this, please tell me how can i do vmod for private using fixed it? i know how fix it by the track, but of course will not correct every track in game, one simple vmod will be better

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2013
  14. henriqueyan

henriqueyan Registered

I sent an email to them about this, hope they give attention to this issue, you could do the same to help.

complaints@rfactor.net

Subject: AI is over smoking under braking

Hi

The AI is fantastic in rFactor, but it always smoking on braking, even in simple corners, that is not realistic and also distracting, I have seen this issue in forums over the years, and my recommendation is to fix it on the next build, or tell people how to turn of smoke, see a topic about that issue:

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/10401-Smoke-Effects-(

Regards

15. Thrindil

Thrindil Registered

It's good that you're taking action, but I feel like ISI doesn't really want you to spam their mailbox with this.
    You should probably make a new thread in the wish list section and be (very) patient.

16. TechAde

TechAde Registered

Unless it's changed fairly recently, in player.JSON:

"Special FX":3,

Change that 3 to 2, 1 or even 0 to completely disable smoke & similar effects.

17. dylbie

dylbie Registered

Did someone create a 'realistic' smoke mod for rF1? Would it be difficult to do for rF2?