SMMG Rain Visors plus tear-off visor for rFactor 2 OW classes v.1.1

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Slow Motion, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

SMMG is proud to present this free addon for rFactor 2 offered to modders that like to enable rain drops on visor and the tear-off effect to simulate real-world OW series, greatly improving the immersion into the sim.

In the below video you can see a preview for Predator's, GP3 Series and Palatov D4 that are already available with this new feature, developed by Chris "redapg" and me as a public package from the Slow Motion Modding Group.

Here is the link for downloading the pack that contains all files you need for enabling the effect:
    http://meetme.bplaced.net/rF2_onlineTools/rF2GGeninfo/tuts/zipdownload.php

We added also detailed technical info and advice to have the effect working correctly into any mod, how to edit the .gen and upgrade.ini files and how to personalize it (we provided also psd files for easier customization).

Some specific note:
    - Rain visor → in the showroom, tuning, you can select:
    • NO VISOR
    • VISOR (idea taken from ISI, with own mesh in “HiRes”)
    • RAIN VISOR
    • RAIN VISOR 16:9 RES.
    • RAIN VISOR 4:3 RES.
    - Tear-Off visor → in the showroom, tuning, you can select:
    • Visor Wiper OFF
    • Visor Wiper ON
    • Visor Wiper ON and Indicator is shown (a simple gauge that helps in knowing if wiper has been activated and its speed)
    Of course the Tear-Off visor has enabled only if a “rain” visor has been selected. In fact sometime can be hard to know in which position is the wiper, because the animation lasts 16 seconds at high speed and 32 seconds at low speed and it is useless, if not harmful, to push the “W” key (or any other key or button with the assigned feature) several times.
    With Tear-Off enabled you will appreciate, notwithstanding the difficulty to drive in the rain spray, the relaxing momentum of watching what is happening in front of you, more or less what real drivers feel!

Currently isn't yet possible to implement a working animation at good level of the driver's hand that wipes the Visor, but we are confident S397 will improve our idea in the future.

For any technical info please read carefully the documentation provided in the pack and, in case of need as well as for any suggestion that can be useful to improve the feature, please feel free to post!

For your convenience here are the links to the threads of the mods where we have already added this feature:
    Thank you.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  2. Slamfunk3

Slamfunk3 Registered

Awesome stuff. Thank you for sharing this and for the detailed description.

TK

3. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

This is really awesome, together with "self in rear view mirror", visor is pretty much the only thing I miss in rF2 visually.

Does this work in VR, and any plans to make this work for tin tops? Obviously, no rain drops/tear off needed there, but driver still wears helmet in car.

Thanks a lot guys!

4. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

About VR we haven't any VR device for testing. We got some pictures and info but there are several variable by device and software that we have decided to don't work on it.
    About visor for TC, car with a closed cockpit... any modder is free to use the original ISI visor, as well as our one in hi-res with few easy adjustments.

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  5. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Thanks to a notification of a mate here in the community, we have found a bug that in certain cases affects the rain visors, when files are directly exported from 3DSMax. We'll reactivate the link for the download of the new revised pack in a while.
    Thank you.

6. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

First post has been updated with revised version 1.1, that fixes an issue where rain and rain spray were not visible when using the Rain Visor.

Jeferson Richart and Louis like this.
  7. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Hi, I am trying to add this Visor to some mod, and I can't get visor to show with my version. Any suggestions how to diagnose this, is there any log or something I can look at? I got upgrades section to show correctly.

Regarding "Files to use" does it matter which .mas of the mod I add them to? They don't need to be referenced anywhere, other than in .gen file, right? Is it safe to keep names of files/references to contain SMMG, as long as there's no conflict within the mod? Or, this visor cannot be integrated into mod without renaming and linking materials and textures in 3D Editor?

Thanks ;)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  8. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Did you follow the instructions that are written in the pdf files?
    I never had a problem to add these visors to a mod, also when i have used it as it is, with the original names for meshes, materials and textures.
    But you have to check, if there maybe is a conflict between visors and mod files, caused by same names.
    And check if the wcextra material, that is used for the visor, is already in use in your mod.
    Then you have to rename it to a wc material that is not in use.

9. elbo

elbo Registered

@Iron, if you get this working for different mods, please share your work, I love the effect of the visor on the GP3 in VR, would love to see it in other mods.
    cheers,
    elbo

10. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

As @Bernd wrote, @elbo what you must take care is the wcextra.. name, because it must not be in use in any other instance of the mod. Nothing other to do and obviously add the files to the usual folder where are stored all other gmt files.
    We also linked the first mods where we added the feature and everybody can look at them

11. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Thanks guys - I am definitely following all the instructions and looked into GP3 mod as an example, but can't see what's wrong. Likely, I am bit by things I don't know about content creation/3D modeling, and it is indeed the material conflict. I am not familiar with Blender, but might look into it one day. I also have an idea for this visor - to create a version of it for VR users, by moving helmet slightly right, so that it is centered not around the left eye, but between eyes, but that's another story.

12. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Time ago we have did several attempts for a better view with the VR and few guys helped us sending screenshots, but we saw differences between the screenshots taken by different users and we do not know the reason in deep, also because we haven't any VR device, so we cannot be of help in improving the visor in VR. Sincerely I hope that S397 in the future will take care of it.

Jeferson Richart likes this.
  13. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

I added the visor wiper but now I stopped getting rain drops on the visor. No idea what I done wrong... I'm sure I read it carefully. Copy pasted the text.

For one of it it says to put in the cockpit instance, but I don't have a cockpit instance and since it was the same stuff as Instance=WIPER I decided to leave it out since it was identical. Could that be the problem?

Edit: Tried it on a different car where I didn't have the GMT's renamed, rain drops work but it's not even wiping!

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  14. Brack Jabham

Brack Jabham Registered

Please contact Marco AKA Slow Motion https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?members/slow-motion.32848/ who can help

15. Bernd

Bernd Registered

You should create the cockpit instance if there is none and put the entries into it as it is said in the instruction pdf.
    I guess that the problems are caused by that.
    I never had a problem with that visor mod, because i exactly did what is written in the pdf's. ;)

16. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

Meh, stuff it. Too difficult. I'll stick with rain visor without wipe.

If people don't like it then too bad, don't use it.

17. Bernd

Bernd Registered

No, don't give up. :)

Just create the cockpit instance.
    It is necessary, because the cockpit view is the view where the visor and visor wiper are visible, but if there is no cockpit instance that includes the things that shall be visible, it can not work.
    If you need some help with it, start a private conversation with me.

18. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I had a go at adding this to an existing mod in dev mode. I get the front of the visor display but I assumed my head would be surrounded with black as well like the GMT showed in 3dsimed? There is very little droplet movement with the default rain visor. Is this the limitation to where rain tech is at the moment? Or had the move to PBR and different car/windscreen shaders given an update? Visor gets very full very quickly.

19. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Just a quick answer... PBR doesn't affect how rain drops "work" on visor and shader(s) to be used is(are) still same.
    The big limitation on managing drops, density, size, etc... depends of the lack of code or, better, the fact nobody at ISI/S397 thought to use this effect in the visor, improving the code. In fact, also for cleaning the visor we used a workaround simulating a "wiper".
    We produced the best compromise for the most... Modders that are confident in editing windscreen and with this doc https://docs.studio-397.com/develop.../rain-effects-and-windscreen-shaders-for-cars, resizing the visor area where drops hit it can test different looks.

20. Hinyaldee

Hinyaldee Registered

Heya, thanks for that addon ! I might be stupid, but I tried to add it to the Formula Pro, but can't find the GEN or upgrade.ini files. Are they located in ...\rFactor 2\Installed\Vehicles\FormulaPro_2021\0.99 ?