[REL] SMMG Formula 3 Series (2019-2020-2021-2022-2023-2024) 2.20

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Slow Motion, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Physics is only part of a mod and to have a different body, even if similar and with several parts identical, is not a finished and awesome mod... maybe on the contrary, it could be a good motivation for a 3d artist to model it.

rubennaatje and ApexModding like this.
  2. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

First post has been updated with the following info:

WIP version 0.15 BETA
    - PLEASE READ CAREFULLY: Terms of Use

This mod is not to be used in public or corporate events held by public or private companies (such as simulators) without the expressed permission of SMMG.
    For such circumstances, the email address listed below can be contacted for licensing agreements.
    Each file of the mod cannot be edited and/or re-used in whole or in part for any reason without the express permission of SMMG.
    Do not redistribute, upload, modify or sell any of our work.
    For permission and licensing queries, please contact "Formula32019@gmail.com"

================
    WIP version 0.15 BETA: PHYSICS from real data of manufacturers but most of the 3D in use comes from our mod GP3 SERIES
    THANKS TO: haunetal1990 (original GP3 3D artist), Chris "redapg" (physics and 3D), Chris Payne (painting), PLAYLIFE (aerodynamics), Slow Motion (project leader, physics, painting)
    "Parts of this mod were taken from rFactor 2 and are used with the explicit permission of Studio 397. These parts remain the property of Studio 397 BV and may not be re-used for any purpose, including other mods without the explicit, written permission of Studio 397 BV. For more information on rFactor 2 and Studio 397, please visit: https://www.studio-397.com/".

=================
    As I wrote few time ago we took the decision to release the mod also if the graphics shows the main body of the GP3...

Some considerations:
    1. the mod has the final physics (at the moment), with the exclusion of the aero, because Jean-Luc, that is the aero engineer is still working out of his Country and he will come back home in July. So the aero is, for front and rear wing and drs the one of the GP3

2. the settings are the suggested of Dallara (not like the GP3 where we changed some values for decreasing the understeer). In this condition the car is neutral in slow corners but suffers understeer (less than GP3 compared to Dallara suggested setup). It uses less load in front because default is 16 degrees for front wing (and the GP3 was 28), so it is on my side a good starting point!

3. on graphics side we added atm only the halo, in the right position of the F3, BUT on the body of the GP3, so it looks a little in the air, because the F3 has the height of the body just a little bit higher... but it is WIP and we'll hope to add new parts time by time

4. in fact the next step will be to add the front and rear wings of the F3 and its mounting, etc...

5. of course there are only 10 cars with a same fantasy livery in 10 different colors... but for a WIP mod it is okay and we care for the physics!

6. I didn't perform long test sessions, because I had no time and because the car behaves correctly AND ONLY professional drivers can give a right feedback. For this reason I already sent the mod to the teams that helped us since the GP3 times.

7. Of course everybody is welcome to contact me for info, for feedback, BUT PLEASE before read carefully what I wrote above! It is a WIP MOD at its early stage for the graphics, I can say in alpha stage... but it is at a very advanced stage in the physics and can be used for testing a F3 2019 car as well as for online and offline races! Templates are not provided because they will be radically changed in the future.

Here is the link for manual dowloading: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tj25r1g4ehjpee9/SMMG_F3_2019_WIP_v0.15.rfcmp?dl=0
    As usual the mod is available on Steam.
    The name in the launcher is: SMMG_F3_2019
    SMMG_F3_2.jpg SMMG_F3_1.jpg

Rony1984, Hazi, avenger82 and 22 others like this.
  3. Imre Bende

Imre Bende Registered

Hello, is the template available for this?

4. RoWo

RoWo Member

5. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Thanks again for releasing to public despite the mod being WIP.

Only recently I was able to try it and as expected it handles similarly to GP3.
    I focused on handling and physics, because they are most important for me and as I understand they are in final stages and should already be very realistic.
    So for me as it was for GP3, it's also quite easy to handle, stable and forgiving. Maybe a little bit less than GP3 with default setup. Also even with hard tires it has a lot of grip. But it's likely I'm not pushing hard enough.
    Similarly to GP3, the only difficulty is, that it understeers when cornering too fast, but there's virtually no oversteer. Except when accelerating on lower gears(power oversteer), but even that can be easily countered/recovered from.

I would have to directly compare handling to AC version:
    https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/formula-rss-3-v6.26726/
    on the same track etc.
    But from what I remember and from my experience with other F3 mods, they usually seemed to have a lot of grip and were generally easy to handle.
    I know RSR Formula 3 17 in Assetto is different car, but when pushed to the limit, was more difficult i.e. was more oversteer-prone.
    BTW: @Slow Motion - did you already get handling/physics feedback from real drivers? If yes, can you say what where their impressions? Also will telemetry be compared?

Regarding visuals I'm not that concerned, but I hope you will find someone who will help with it, because the mod deserves it.
    For me it's hard to get used to halo. Maybe it would be possible have option to disable halo in Tuning menu(but I know it's not realistic).

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  6. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

@avenger82 Thank you for testing and sharing your feeling... atm the true comparison vs. the GP3 can be performed only considering the mechanical grip, because I haven't yet F3 aero data of front and rear wings converted into rF2 code (aero is final for other items only) and we know that are very important for the behavior of the car at medium ans high speed corners.
    Mechanically speaking the understeer of the F3 is much less than the GP3, because there were a lot of changes "behind the body", mostly obviously on front suspensions, but they affected also the steering wheel geometry etc...
    And now we have the Dallara suggested setup, exactly it! On the contrary we were forced to change the Dallara suggested setup to "our" default setup in the GP3. If you compare the values, you will see how much differently behaves the F3.
    AND working on differential is the trick for improving the performances of the F3 2019 (I'm only writing what Mr. D explained to me when, more or less, I asked him for info with same kind of questions and feeling like you.
    On graphical side, our next step will be to replace the front and rear wings with the F3 2019 parts.

I already said that Chris, Gilles and I are busy in other activities of our life and the reason I wanted to release the mod at this early stage.

svictor, Rony1984, pkelly and 3 others like this.
  7. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Modeled by Chris, here the progresses... next WIP BETA will bring these new parts: front wing, rear wing and drs flap, improved halo and rainlights. Of course the new parts are positioned for the F3 body.
    20190629163854_1.jpg 20190629163834_1.jpg 20190629163808_1.jpg

8. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

New parts of F3 2019 ingame... we also tuned the disc glow, rainlights and re-added the heat haze, because S397 is working on a fix. Chris is still fine tuning the new meshes, but we are confident to release a new WIP BETA soon.

20190630182324_1.jpg 20190630182227_1.jpg 20190630182201_1.jpg 20190630182141_1.jpg

9. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Thank you very much Marco.

One question :

Can we have information about aerodynamics and what's left of physics?

10. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Aero atm is, for what related to wings and drs, an unexplored field. We have got spreadsheet data time ago, but the person in charge for managing these data was busy at work moving from Australia to Italy for few months. He came back home yesterday and he promised to work on spreadsheet of dallara to translate data into rf2 asap.

All the rest of the physics is already into the current public beta.

Also deeper test will be done by Mr.D as soon as we'll provide a version with updated aero data.
    In the meantime Chris is modeling other parts... Without him the mod would be been only a dream.

SRGP, ede78, DrivingFast and 2 others like this.
  11. AMillward

AMillward Registered

If only all templates could be labelled that way...

Slow Motion likes this.
  12. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

First post has been updated to

Updated WIP version 0.27 BETA
    • few tuning to the physics (still GP3 aero for wings)
    • F3 2019 FRONT WING
    • F3 2019 REAR WING
    • F3 2019 DRS FLAP
    • F3 2019 HALO
    • F3 2019 RAINLIGHTS
    • few improvements to the UV for new parts
    • fixed disc glow
    • fixed DRS flap angle
    PLEASE REMEMBER NEW PARTS ARE POSITIONED IN THEIR RIGHT F3 POSITIONS AND COULDN'T MATCH THE MAIN BODY THAT IS GP3.

13. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Here is the video of the steering wheel display features and gauges...
    Of course the whole steering wheel is still under modeling...
    In the future Iìll provide a picture showing how the gauges and features of the display work, closed to the real F3 2019 steering wheel but unfortunately with few limitations due to the lack of code

14. Stevy

Stevy Registered

Better Displays than ANY PAID S397 DLC.

Chris Lesperance and DrivingFast like this.
  15. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

+1

16. txinas

txinas Registered

17. Sam Poon

Sam Poon Registered

any information about the skins?

18. Brack Jabham

Brack Jabham Registered

Once we have a complete 3d model we will also do skins for all teams, and a template can be released then too

19. Filip

Filip Registered

Are you referring to functionality or texture quality?

20. Stevy

Stevy Registered

both