[REL] SMMG Formula 3 Series (2019-2020-2021-2022-2023-2024) 2.20

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Slow Motion, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

I would add that we added the option just to balance the potential advantage of vr users in multiplayer in case of races with locked cockpit view, also if someone can take advantage also disabling other options in the game... But here the risk is to open an endless discussion and this isn't the right thread for it.
    At the beginning I personally was contrary to add the option that we already developed time ago (also with much many options and transparency levels), but never released to the public, because if real car has the halo, also a mod must have the halo.
    Then several people posted the reason to have this 10% of transparency for that little part of the halo and we added it in the options.

I must admit that rFactor2 in the end is a game (unfortunately much more than in the past where the sim side kept more the attention of the developers, but that in the closed future I'm sure will be again improved) and in fact using the TVCockpit view is the right way for a better view without the annoyance of the halo.

Rui Santos likes this.
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It never looks right when people use upgrades to remove the halo. And everyone does it when it's an option, including VR users. The 10% is a good option.

Brack Jabham likes this.
  3. tagada83

tagada83 Registered

Not everyone wants reality at all costs. Why have the same disadvantages as in reality when it is only a game? To leave the choice to everyone is still better than wanting to systematically impose their point of view, right?
    And then, is it real to believe you are a pilot while you are sitting behind a PC?

Bill Worrel likes this.
  4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It's part of the real cars. You don't have to choose to drive cars with halos.

5. Emery

Emery Registered

Yes, so this is probably not the mod for them.

Brack Jabham likes this.
  6. tagada83

tagada83 Registered

Or simply give the possibility of removing the halo, in the same way that one gives the possibility of driving in hood view or in pursuit view.

7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

What? Hood view? flying a kite view? A halo is a halo, somebody had some issues with the original halo cars, VR users maybe, and at least some of them had an option for a translucent halo, didn't they?

8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

That would be like having a flight sim with a transparent body so you could see the enemy even in blind spots. (shudder)
    There are plenty of cars without Halos. Or perhaps we could choose power up stars, not everyone has to use them, only those that want to.

Akela_DE likes this.
  9. Akela_DE

Akela_DE Registered

My first impression with this mods halo in macau was: wow, thats thick, cannot see the corner. Same is with Tatuus, looks clumsy

What do you think of this ? made a fast not 100% accurate comparison with a F3 video.The halos could maybe be a little bit thinner ? ~ 50% :D
    So ppl stop complaining mimimi a halo...

F3 RL video is here

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
    zxd1997 likes this.
  10. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

At first I thought 10% transparency would be too small, but it turned out it’s actually enough. Maybe transparent part could be a little longer, but actually after some time I don’t notice the halo.

Rui Santos likes this.
  11. Akela_DE

Akela_DE Registered

That does not change my impression that the lower part of the halo (SMMG and Tatuus) still seems to be to thick by 30%-50%

12. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Interesting comparison. On my side I can write only about the first video, not the second one that isn't this mod and the point is that you compared the halo mounted on GP3. In fact, also if the halo is the F3 halo, the driver position is totally different between GP3 and F3, as I have already shown in a previous post: look at comparison, post #117 and you will notice how the halo looks thinner and same for the mount between GP3 and F3!
    For sure size of the halo is exactly like it is, because we use the original Dallara drawings (that are also quoted).

What is much more interesting is the comparison of the POV of the real driver vs. the POV of the mod in cockpit view. Also in this case is not easy to compare images, because they are affected by the FOV and the height of the driver.
    I already asked for some pictures taken in real cars, to have them when we'll be ready for tuning the xyz of POV in cockpit view and then the feedback of real drivers.

Again, do not forget that what are you all mates comparing is the right halo but in "wrong" cockpit/body/POV

Any picture that you can discover, showing the POV in cockpit, will be very useful, thanks!

13. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Few news!
    We are working, as you know, on 3d for the whole body and spare parts and last Christmas we received a nice present from a friend: the whole 3d body at a medium poly that was the perfect starting point! Job to do is a lot as well and @Gilles Benoit is modeling and modeling...

Since long time @Brack Jabham (Chris) pushed my to "convert" the mod to IBL/PBR system, to potentially enhance the visual look of the liveries and also for having a wider range of possibilities... it is a long job considering the number of the cars we added, like the MACAU 2019 and also due to the fact that the final F3 will no longer use the GP3 (and skins) body.

Well, we think the mod deserves our attention also on this side, so we have planned to split the mod during the development in two mods:
    - one will be the improvement of the current public build mainly based on the IBL/PBR system, that will be in use by the end of the development of the new F3
    - one, for internal use, where we'll be focused only on new 3d parts and that in the future will replace the public build.

In the meantime @Eddy, that followed the development of the Gp3 aero, is working now on tuning the aero of the F3, to compare behaviour and feedback we got vs. the theory!

Here a first look of the HITECH, MACAU 2019, that has part of the livery metal paint... 20200122164253_1.jpg 20200122164127_1.jpg 20200122163531_1.jpg 20200122163457_1.jpg

To me it looks awesome!
    Stay tuned!

14. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

What is awesome is that we have the 4 exceptional mods that follow on rF2 : F3, GP3, MR1, palatov D4.

Really thank you for all your work on rF2.

The Abarth also is pretty good, I just change the the .HdV for personnal use to have a manual gearbox for the pleasure of heel and toe.

pkelly and Slow Motion like this.
  15. zxd1997

zxd1997 Registered

very good job! car feels amazing and looking forward to see the new 3d parts!

16. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

few more screenshots showing how IBL/PBR painting is going ahead on Macau 2019 skins.
    I know, it is still only for the old 3d and only applied to the main body (WCCARBODY), but skins look awesome...
    HWA matte carbon paint for instance is great!

20200125134849_1.jpg 20200125134751_1.jpg 20200125112352_1.jpg 20200125112325_1.jpg

Also all 30 cars in fantasy colors of the 2020 are almost ready, with chrome appearance...

In the meantime 3d of the Formula 3 2020 is going ahead...

20200124152431_1.jpg 20200121164517_1.jpg

atomed, Corti, Hazi and 3 others like this.
  17. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

so beautiful IBL/PBR look for MP too...
    20200125142010_1.jpg

18. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Has anyone noticed the car sometimes seem to bounce excessively on slow corners? Good example is at last chicane at Zolder(better chose high quality):

similar second example:

It's with pretty much default setup.
    It might be something specific to rF2 physics, because it's even more pronounced with MAK Corp Group C cars i.e. Porsche on Salzburgring:

Of course it's also strongly felt through FFB. Perhaps it's accurate, but I don't remember such excessive bouncing in other sims.

Slow Motion likes this.
  19. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Very interesting, but I have no way to answer. I'll ask "Mr.D" for reading and giving me an answer if
    possible.

avenger82 likes this.
  20. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Considering the recent posts about the new BMW doing this same thing I guess we either got a new bug or some old one became more visible with some change S397 made