Slow AI

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by green serpent, Nov 29, 2016.

1. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Is any work likely to be done regarding the AI being really slow in the first couple of laps of a race? I love the wheel to wheel racing I get with the rf2 AI, nothing else comes close, but the first lap can be a bit annoying/immersion breaking when you're passing half the field. It's quite a let down to what is otherwise a stellar experience. Is this something we just have to accept and move on? Are there any plans to improve the AI, or is there a solution to this already?

Cheers

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

More information required please: What Car/s?, What Track/s?

Edit: Just to add I'm not disagreeing with you (to a certain extent) but I've found more often than not that AI issues lie directly with community made cars & tracks and not the actual AI coding itself :)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  3. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Been racing the NSX and USF2000 at Toban Short in the last couple of days, but my comment was more of a general observation. It's not too bad if you start near the front of the grid, but if you start near the rear the AI get a bit too bunched up. I guess it's a good thing that they drive cautiously in heavy traffic and don't wreck each other, but imo the first lap of a race can be an exercise in frustration. You're either passing multiple cars in one corner which doesn't feel realistic, or you're stuck driving slow behind, trying to avoid ramming the car in front.

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Yeah I think that's a trade off in making sure the AI don't all pile up early on, a trade off we have to take for now, good thing is the front runners do race fast from the start as you say. As with a lot of AI issues it could be further improved upon I agree but by how much is the question. By that I mean in real life drivers have been known to make up 10 spots on the first lap in similar scenarios, so we need to be careful not to make it too good, there's making the AI behave more Human like and there's making the AI too perfect, the latter would be disastrous IMO :)

Sometimes with AI you have to unfortunately compromise a bit with them, by that I mean instead of diving down the inside and passing half the field, hang back and let them get sorted before you start to properly race. No this isn't ideal but no AI in any Sim is or will ever likely be 100% Human like so we have to make some sacrifices from time to time, thankfully in RF2 this is less often than a lot of other Sims :)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  5. stonec

stonec Registered

Actually this is more due to the laws of physics. All cars typically start in formation of two, but then have to quickly settle to a one-row formation into turn one. This means every car bar P1 has to slow down and queue in order to "fit". I have yet to see any game where this wouldn't happen. The last guy in the queue has to always brake much earlier no matter how you program the AI.

6. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Obviously the first lap will be much slower whether we're talking about sim racing or real life due to the reasons you mentioned above. I just think the rf2 AI are a little TOO slow compared with RL. I personally think the reason is due to the fact that on any given circuit, there are some corners the AI slow down a bit too much for, and it causes a bottle neck.

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

That could be down to the AIW of the track/s not necessarily the AI itself, I've seen AI have perfectly fine opening laps which are up to speed with myself, then there's others (as you rightly say) that are slow and somewhat frustrating until they get going.

Again there's no doubt a tweak here and fix there could improve them overall :)

8. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Run a practice and qualifying before the race and let it run until the end! DONĀ“T skip it!

9. green serpent

green serpent Registered

How long do I need to run them for? I usually only do a practice session for about 5 - 10 minutes

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Depends how much rubber you want laid down, the most important aspect is to let them Qualify properly.

11. Emery

Emery Registered

Remember you can use time acceleration.

12. AceLain

AceLain Registered

This is important

You could try a rolling start too to see if it help