Slipstream

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bravotangosix, Sep 25, 2018.

1. bravotangosix

bravotangosix Registered

Is there any way to reduce the strength of the slipstream when racing AI? Overtaking on long straights is akin to having Push to Pass activated because the slipstream is so strong. I'm using S397's GT3 pack and finding the overtaking less than challenging on straights but I've noticed it on most, if not all, vehicles I've tried. Any races I've watched (real races) the cars barely close up on each other never mind fly past the opposition. Any thoughts?

2. LokiD

LokiD Registered

have you seen the ai slipstream you and pass? out of interest. ;)

3. bravotangosix

bravotangosix Registered

No I haven't. Do you think the AI is set too low? Even in very close races I can slipstream right past the opposition.

4. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

I haven't noticed strange slipstream effects. Seems ok for me.

bravotangosix likes this.
  5. bravotangosix

bravotangosix Registered

I'm getting the same effect as in this vid except I'm using much lower powered GT3 cars. I wouldn't have thought the effect to be so pronounced with GT3.

Nitrometh likes this.
  6. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

I think it's more an AI issue than car. When racing online if the guy ahead has a better setup and less aero not even all the slipstream in the world will let you close the gap

7. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

I think the projected area of a gt car is much bigger than the projected area of a f1 car.
    I don't know what's about the drag coefficient number but I guess the destiny in dirty air is much less than in clean air. So it seems plausible to me.
    Maybe some physics guys couldcconfirm that or point us the right way :D
    Maybe it's just a setup thing
    ;)

8. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

A bit more extreme example because I ran Le Mans aero and the Porsche didn't I think, but gives you an idea

9. bravotangosix

bravotangosix Registered

THIS! This is what I'm after from my AI races but when I do hit any straight I end up overtaking the opposition like my ass was on fire.

10. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

I think that video is a bad example. You guys were obviously running different setups as the 'vette was much faster on straights, which isn't the case in default setups.
    I raced Paul Ricard recently with the 'vette vs. AI, default setup (and many other tracks for that matter) and haven't noticed any exaggerated slipstream with the GT official content, perhaps you're just getting a better corner exit. Maybe try increasing AI difficulty a notch or two.

11. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

12. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

@Will Mazeo
    No need to increase the font, I read that, but it was a bad example ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    The Porsche had no chance to catch you on the straights with or without slipstream

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  13. Comante

Comante Registered

I second the " increase AI skill" .

14. bravotangosix

bravotangosix Registered

Thanks for the info folks. Was running Road Atlanta at 110% but the long back straight was still easy pickings every time I got behind any AI. Will continue to adjust AI difficulty to see what I get.

15. LokiD

LokiD Registered

also was the ai you overtook, behind another ai? as he will draft the first car and tap his brakes (so slow down) and you would zip past.

16. bravotangosix

bravotangosix Registered

No chum. Just 1 on 1. Could just be fixed setup issue as was mentioned above and/or AI setting. More testing/racing me thinks. Damn :D

17. Comante

Comante Registered

Unfortunately the AI need to be babystepped for every track where default setup is inappropriate. The task in unfortunately boring (in my opinion). I hope in a near future there will be some feature to easily assign setup to the AI (even just simplified setting like RF1 slide bars).
    In all honesty is one of the thing that keep me away from singleplayer races: you have to be sure that car/track combo works for the AI, and that default setup is good enough too, then you have the problem of rules for fuel or pitstops.

18. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Like I said an extreme example... now put the AI on LM aero and go with more downforce to draft it, you'll have more of this effect there than playing against humans. ;)
    See when I draft the Porsche I got only 7kph from him, try that with an AI

19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

As we're talking Setups then it is an extremely difficult area to try and improve when you think of the type of track + car and what regulates a "decent" setup, doing this for a Human is time consuming enough (but fun!), doing it for every AI car and every track would take a mountain of work and then there's tweaking to get it to suit the relevant Strength settings for different levels of the players. A simpler but much more basic way would be the ability to Select All AI and "Use Setup" that the player currently has assigned, but even then on Multi-Class grids it will only work for the car the player is driving, so then you'd want a similar comparative setup for the other cars...more work for the player.

Like you say it does take a lot of time and baby steps to create the - shall we say - "Ultimate" offline experience for one type of Car on one track, which is why it's good that RF2 AI out of the Box is relatively decent with Default settings and up there with the best AI available. But as soon as the player starts altering setups then the advantages against the AI become obvious, that's no different than in any other racing sim. There is no quick and easy fix, simple as that, tailoring any AI of any Sim to suit the players needs quite often becomes a chore and people do give up. So many AI variables, only so much a Dev can spend working on it, he'd need to be on it 24/7 for ages and that's just not feasible.

fsuarez79, Emery and David Kolody like this.
  20. Comante

Comante Registered

I have big hopes for the new UI capabilities, one of those would be a script IA that could do all those tweaking for us. for example, feeding it our lap times, and choosing which part of the field we should fall with these times, could be a good start to tweak AI accordingly, I think RF2 need a sort of "game master AI" to make racing even more alive. Looking at all the cars pitting in the same lap, 2 laps from the end is quite frustrating, for example.