Skybox

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Guineapiggy, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Okay, the new sky and environment is cool... but what if I want to get rid of it? What if I want to put my own sky in, even if it's just a 2D texture on an older style skybox/sphere?

2. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

I don't think that's possible at all. Is there any particular reason why would you want to do that? Even if it would be possible to disable the system, you'd probably lose the variable time and weather stuff.

3. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Realtime sky models can look awkward sometimes. Sunsets are the biggest challenge - I've never seen one that would look like the real thing.
    Games like Crysis or Skyrim use dynamic sky aswell and neither one of them has realistic sunsets.

Eventually, developers are forced to add some tweaks and workarounds for Rayleigh scattering, but it never seems good enough.

That's why I understand why some people prefer to have a background photo instead, although I don't see it working anymore with dynamic conditions in rFactor 2. Even more so with different weather around different parts of track.

As for me - I'm all with dynamic sky concept. I prefer graphics to tell the raw truth about conditions rather than "pretty lies".
    And finally - dynamic sky model can be constantly improved to look better and better, so even if it's not good enough now, it may be some day. I've made dynamic sky for rFactor over a year ago and I'm still progressing and still not satisfied :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2012
  4. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

That's the thing, the track is an unusual one and for that purpose I want to lose all of that stuff. I like the dynamic sky, it's well implemented but for the purposes of this specific track I need no night/day, no weather and I need to change the sky's appearance.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2012
  5. mianiak

mianiak Registered

If you have an indoor arena for example, make the whole thing a no rain zone. and put a shadow casting roof/walls over it with some spotlights around the place. The roof and walls will have to have 2 faces one facing each way or it wont cast a shadow.

6. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

It's not quite an indoor track either, it's something odder. I have multiple tracks I wish to work in this vein actually - another of which is a recreation tribute of Grand Prix 1's Phoenix Arizona track in all its low-poly glory I originally made for rF1 but never quite finished off and it's not the same without the pixelated parallax (or at least faux-parallax) skyline. Actually, on that note, the re-introduction of billboarding has been fantastic for this project. All in all, I must say, I goddamn love this rendering engine, I'm just looking for an opt-out on the weather/dynamic sky/time of day.