Skip Barber Formula 2000 v1.54 Now Available!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Rely, did you not read my reply? "there is hardly visible tire wear or flatspotting after 1 hour race" I raced Skippy at Mores 1 hour and there is almost no visible tire wear and rubber in tires looks new and shiny out.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Did you read his question? What does the video have to do with it? You didn't say... you just posted it like it was relevant to what you were saying but without saying anything.

If you drove your hour like the car was driven in that video (to scale... so 100x the multiple lockups, 100x the mid-corner scrubbing, 100x the weaving), maybe you've got a point to make. But I doubt you did. If you're criticising (constructively or otherwise) you need to be more specific - I know for sure a real skip barber tyre can be driven on for an hour with basically no wear at all as long as it's driven slow enough. So your experience could make perfect sense without further info :confused:

3. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Are you Tim Wheatley?

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sorry, am I not allowed to reply? Nevermind then.

5. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Hey Tim. While I find that forcing setup in offline Vs Ai works as you'd expect, I've had trouble getting it to work correctly on the dedi.

I wanted only the regional version on my server, so removed the "national" and "Skip barber" that are in the vehicle select, leaving only the regional. When someone selects the regional version and loads in to the server, it gives some kind of mismatch and boots. I tried three times, a friend tried also and got the same issue.

It only seems to allow you to use the national version.

6. c.pucher

c.pucher Registered

@Ari: I think Tim did answer your question:

7. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

First of all no I did not drive 100x wear, I raced 60 min. at Mores, I repeat I raced I was not Sunday driving slowly.

The thing is this:

Changes from 1.46:
    – Revised tyres
    – New tire textures
    – New tire damage textures

Race 60 min. at Mores, I could hardly see tire wear and tires did look like shiny new tires to me when I finished my 60 min.test race. I am not criticizing what I am doing is simply to share my experience with Revised tyres, New tire textures and New tire damage textures and I was never expecting answer like this:"Nor should there be unless you're an awful driver." from Tim.

8. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

I tested and hammered the tyres, they DO flatspot & show wear.

9. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

I did 60 min, one pit stop , only fuel, 55-55,5 sec. laps at Mores and I did not "hammered the tyres" because I am not an awful driver. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2015
  10. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

I never said you did or that you were? I was simply stating that I intentionally set out to view the tyre wear textures and they're there. Were you using regional or national?

11. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

yes its cool Rich, don`t get me wrong mate I was just joking :) National

12. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I have no idea what the characteristics of the National tire are, but the regional tire could be raced at Mores for 100 hours and would show no signs of wear. They are summer performance street car tires that last at least 20,000 to 30,000 km on such a light car. I suspect that even the slick lasts for thousands of km. This series is for people who don't have sponsorship and have to buy their own cars and tires and parts. Tires have to last a whole season or at least multiple races. I haven't tried accelerating the wear rate up to max and pounding them, but just wanted to offer some insight. They may be broken, but it wouldn't be based on Ari's example.

13. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

That's what I had to do.

14. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Something is off at the moment but I have no idea what it is. If you choose the regional, it always shows national on the time charts. This happens with every car as well, for example, the 370Z will show the Dutch version on the time charts even though you're using the European. Like I said, something is off, just don't know enough about it.

15. AceLain

AceLain Registered

their is a bug about that since build 9xx, it has been reported and it is supposed to be fix in the next build:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/23278-370Z-classes-problem-b910

16. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

17. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

18. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Now that the new Brabham is out and supposedly uses the same basic steering programming as the Skippy, who finds them feeling the same versus different? I find the Skippy has an artificial feeling of resistance when the wheel is at centre. Once you get past a certain angle, it seems normal, but feels like the steering rack is in cold goo under normal driving. This actually helps control the "tippy" nature of car a bit, but it doesn't feel realistic.

The Brabham feels "normal" and very alive by comparison.

19. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Almost one year later and after trying the recently updated Skippy in iRacing (after a long hiatus), I can only say that I am drooling at the prospect of the Skippy with the latest steering/FFB system from the most recent car releases and the latest tire grip formulas. The two should combine to make the Skippy feel much more planted (like a real one) and deal with the too little grip from the rear tires. For the first time for me, the iRacing version feels and acts better than the rF2 version. But I am confident the updated ISI Skippy will take the crown back :)

20. Andreas67

Andreas67 Registered

+++