Skinning feature in rFactor2

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Dahie, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Dahie

Dahie Registered

I read the short documentation on skinning in the current build of rFactor2 and also read what has been discussed in the forums. However, this left me with several questions unanswered, I'd like to adress here.

Skins in UserData

I have yet to understand, how to make multiple skins in for a single vehicle in the User-Data folder.
    From what I know, you have the installed mod "foo" with a bar.veh somewhere and the skin is put into /rFactor2 Data/UserData/settings/foo/ by the name barAlt.dds.
    This works for one skin, how do I have to name the skin textures, if I want to install multiple new skins for the same vehicle or skins shared accross multiple vehicles that use the same mapping?

Skins within production packages

For CTDP's IFM 2009 mod, we have several special liveries, we'd like to add to the mod and have them selectable in the tuning menu. We haven't found yet, where to put the alternate textures within the mod package to have them available for selection ingame. Is there any documentation on how to do this or can you provide us with this?

In CTDP2006 we placed the alternative textures next to the standard textures in the skins-subfolder, just with a suffix behind the standard textures name. This doesn't work anymore in rF2.

Skins within Mod developer mode

From what we gathered so far it is not possible to select alternate skins in ModDev mode. Is this feature planed? At the moment even loading the standard skins doesn't work in dev mode.

2. Axly

Axly Registered

You can name them after the existing cars, but with the "alt"-addon, but your question is still very valid.

We are probably on our way to run a league quite soon, and we would then like individual liveries for 10+ cars, in this case megane... However, there are not enough cars to accommodate alt-skins...

3. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

If you add a number after 'alt' you can have multiple skins for one car; for instance "MS7_3alt.dds", "MS7_3alt0.dds", "MS7_3alt1.dds" and so on. Those will all be selectable alternates for the #3 EVE MS7 F2 car.

4. Dahie

Dahie Registered

Ah thank you! :)

How can somebody without opening the MAS see, which vehicles there are to associate her alternate skin with them by the given naming-convention?

Next question that just came up.

I have a car with multiple wildcards I want to skin: wccarbody as default and extra0.
    So I tried both having the name like in the example above:

* MS7_3alt.dds and MS7_3altExtra0.dds
    * MS7_3alt.dds and MS7_3Extra0alt.dds

Both naming variants had the same result: In the tuning menu I got 3 Variants: default, MS7_3alt and MS7_3Extra0alt, both replacing the wccarbody wildcard, but ignoring the Extra0. Are my names wrong or are wildcards not supported? The latter would suck and would make skins for CTDP IFM-2009 impossible.

Edit: Ok, solved it thanks to Andy:
    Similar to rFactor1: create a misc/ subfolder and put the wildcard-textures there.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2012
  5. Axly

Axly Registered

Thanks Ryno917, I actually found out myself that you can name the textures the other way around as well, for example: m2009_01_Dingleberryjam_alt.dds and that also works.. so it seems that you can add any text, both before and after "alt"... which made me wonder after reading your post... is "alt" needed at all? perhaps "alt" is just alternative text... Need to test this :)

6. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I'm quite sure that some of devs has wrote that 'alt' string is not needed in skin name anymore.

7. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

Sorry, don't check in here very often.

In any car in the game, if you go into the 'tuning' screen, it shows the DDS name at the bottom (where you pick which livery the vehicle uses). Just take note of that name.

8. dosequis56

dosequis56 Registered

I know this is a really old thread but I have a question related to it. Everything here seems to work, but I do NOT see the selections of the 'alt' skins in the MODDEV version of rfactor 2. Is this normal?