Size of RF2 install so far.

Discussion in 'ISI cars and tracks' started by ORA-Oldie, Jun 10, 2013.

1. ORA-Oldie

ORA-Oldie Registered

Got a bit of a shock the other day when a friend said, check to see how big your RF2 install is. He said his was already around 13GB!! Impossible I thought, it's only a BETA with not a lot of diverse content yet.. so it should be fairly small right ?.. Right ?

So I checked mine to find it was already at 20.7GB

Okay, so I understand there are a couple of double-ups with mods and tracks due to there being newer versions, and many unused vmods, but how could it be up to 20.7GB when we're not even at gold release yet ?

Disclaimer, all personal opinions expressed here are subject to the inanities of this senile old fella and should not be considered as anything to be concered about.

2. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

LOL lightweight.

26.7GB

And I'm sure someone is going to trump me soon enough.....

3. HumanZob

HumanZob Registered

Hi !

Around 20 tracks and 8 Cars mod mine is 19Gb (Game core, My Documents/rFactor2 folder and my package folder)

It is big, but not so much for me. But when it will reach the 30Gb it will be a problem :)

4. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered

It seems at first glance that content for rFactor2 is much more disk-space hungry than for the original rFactor. But poor file management practices might be blamed for much of the bloat too. Here are some things that can help if disk space is critical or you just like to keep it all tidy.

Best Practices for rFactor2 Disk-Space Management
    1. Delete zipped (.zip, .rar, .7z) versions of downloaded content
    2. Keep unused, rarely used or obsolete rfmod and rfcomp packages uninstalled and outside the game folder structure (even an external drive like a USB thumbdrive) or simply delete them. If you do keep, consider zipped versions to save a few MB per file for storage.
    3. Install content from Mod Manager only when needed to race. Uninstall desirable content not in use from Mod Manager but leave rfmod and rfcomp content in the packages folder. Uninstalled packages take up half as much space.
    4. Uninstall and delete any vmod file after use unless it is frequently and regularly reused. Server admins may consider maintaining vmods, but players don’t need to.
    5. Do not create vmods for offline play. Use All Tracks & Cars
    6. Use Auto-update and do not keep rFactor build files (or keep only latest)
    7. Do not install dev mode unless you are a developer/modder (Delete rFactor2 Mod Mode.exe from Core and ModDev folder from My Documents\rFactor2 folder if it still exits from earlier builds.)
    8. Modders should avoid creating vehicle rfmods with references to existing tracks but create multi-component rfcmp packages without tracks instead. Many people otherwise feel compelled to keep obsolete track versions. Server admins can create vmods with the desired tracks as required.
    9. Don’t worry about “broken mods” if you update a track and delete old version folders referenced in an rfmod. Server admins can create vmods from components of an rfmod with any desired tracks and you can play any combination offline with All Tracks & Cars
    10. Cleanup USERDATA folder occasionally.
      1. Delete vmod.cch files if you don’t keep vmods
      2. Delete folders for obsolete/unused/uninstalled tracks and vehicles in the Settings folder.
      3. Delete controller.ini files for controllers you don’t own or intend to own.
      4. Delete old results files from the Log folder.
      5. Delete files for obsolete/unused/uninstalled tracks from the CBash folder (this folder could be close to a GB if never touched since game release Jan 2012).
      6. Delete Replays you don’t need; this is another folder that can grow to multi-GB size.
      7. Delete screenshots you don’t need. For those you do, consider more jpeg compression for storage and sharing online.

5. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

Done. View attachment 8329

6. MJP

MJP Registered

You're all lightweights. :)

Attached Files:

7. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

Ladies and gentlemen.....We have a winner.

Holy mackerel!
    What the heck do you have in that directory?
    It must be every track or car ever made for RF2.

8. ORA-Oldie

ORA-Oldie Registered

191GB ??? What The? You must have every WiP for RF2 known to man, or have a lot in development.

And there I was thinking RF2 was overweight already at 20+GB and was wondering about slimming it down, but I see no need now since I am a super-lightweight.

9. Blue fellow

Blue fellow Registered

I'm feeling pretty insignificant here at 4.51 gb :eek:

10. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Build240

Lite + All ISI archives = 4.02GB

Lite + All ISI install = 4.00GB

My install is 6.5GB, Historics, Lola and 34 tracks ( no packages )

11. capetuso

capetuso Registered

Hi,
    A couple of questions:

Do you have to maintain packages in the Packages folder once they are installed or can you delete them?
    I've seen in the mods manager that you can specify a different packages folder, can I find any problem if I set it to a different hard drive?

Thanks in advance.

12. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

I have my Package folder on a different hard drive, no problem doing so.

13. Hectari

Hectari Registered

Once installed you don't need the files to be in packages, periodically I move all installed car/track content to my HDD to free up space on my SSD. I leave vmods in packages as I tend to just discard them when I do a fresh install of RF2.

I should probably just set my packages folder to be on my HDD, didn't realise you could do that!

You can delete them, but i wouldn't advise it as you will likely want/need to do a fresh install at some point and have to install all packages again. So it makes sense to keep them somewhere to save you the increasing amount of time it takes to download all the content again.

14. capetuso

capetuso Registered

Thanks,
    I will store them in the NAS and then delete.