Simvibe Cabling Confusion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by F1Aussie, May 14, 2017.

1. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

Hi All
    I am trying to set up my 2 bass shakers separately in simvibe so i can connect one to seat and the other to pedals, atm by default it is one to seat and one to shifter (i dont have a shifter).
    It was mentioned that i would need to use the green line out and the black rear connections on my sound card. Atm i am only using the green line out.
    My amp is a 2 channel dayton apa150, this is the rear of it:
    [​IMG]
    My question is how do i connect the line out and and rear ports from the sound card to the line in ports on the back of the amp? It is simple if it was just the green as that is how i am currently running it but i need to connect to the black rear as well.
    Cheers F1A

Attached Files:

2. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    F1Aussie likes this.
  3. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

Oh wow, really its that easy? Lol. Thanks, I reckon I might have something like that lying around.

ADSTA likes this.
  4. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Yep, it isn't that complicated.... after you know how! ;)
    Just don't ask me about Ohms or wiring things in series or parallel. :confused:

If you wanted to get a third shaker for the shifter you would then need another amp to run it because your amp has only 1 (RCA stereo) input channel.
    Make sure you use the two top RCA Line Input and not the two bottom RCA Line Output.

It would also be a very good idea to tape up separately (insulate) the two RCA plugs that aren't getting plugged into the amp.
    If everything is turned on and either of those unplugged RCA plugs touch metal, well it's wouldn't be a very pleasant noise.

5. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

Great advice all around.
    I have put some rubber feet under my rig after the missus complained last night.
    The only issue I now have is this horrible noise coming from the one under the pedal plate. I am wondering if it is because I mounted the transducer directly to the metal plate rather than maybe putting a sliver of wood between the two. Do you think this could be the case?
    Are these meant to be metal on metal?
    Cheers

6. FuzzyFassbender

FuzzyFassbender Registered

Technically you only need one of the cables ADSTA suggested, left and right coming from the soundcard green output would do it. The only issue is the green output is described as for "seat" and "shifter" so you would setup SimVibe for those channels. I use the "shifter" output to drive the transducer I use on my pedals. Below is the response I received on a similar question to Simxperience.

"The effects in Seat, Shifter an Pedals are identical. You could just use the seat and shifter entries or plug in another 3.5mm to RCA cable to your sound card to utilize the pedal channel if you want.

Sincerely,
    Darin Gangi
    Customer Service Department
    SimXperience"

BTW, I use the same APA150 amp.

F1Aussie likes this.
  7. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

thanks for that, what do you think of the amp and its performance.?

8. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Just make sure all nuts, bolts and screws are tight.
    Maybe swap the two and see if it is the shaker and not the mounting.

9. FuzzyFassbender

FuzzyFassbender Registered

F1Aussie likes this.
  10. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Sorry to butt in with a question about this, but can you have, just as an example, 2 sim vibe shakers where you put 1 under your feet and 1 under your seat and hook the front simvibe to the front wheels and the second simvibe to the rear wheels of the cars in the sim? So that you feel movement from bumps. Like its flowing under you. Like you are moving.

I looked at buttshakers before but simvibe looks like its more quality perhaps.

11. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

Good idea, thanks

12. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

I think so, i am using it in extensions mode where the options are a bit more limited such as suspension not enabled in this mode. They also have chassis mode where the full gamut of effects work in simvibe. I believe as long as you have the green and black ports from your soundcard connected to a two channel amp with one output per channel then you can set it up the way you want. Ideally you would have 4 shakers, one for each corner but my understanding is that it works with two as well.

This is something i was going to investigate over the next 5 or 6 days when i get a minute as that is how i have set my shakers up as of last night.

Alex72 likes this.
  13. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Cool thanks. Yeah first i thought this is why you want simvibes but then i realized you can use it simply for "shaking" with the bumps in the road - which is cool as well and definitely nicer than no shaking at all. But i think the first time i saw simvibe it was set up with 2 vibes on each side othe the feet and 2 under the butt (seat) creating the sensation of moving as the bumps hit the feet and then the butt. Would be real cool to that that. As long as you have the cash you can do a lot of fun things in this hobby. :)

14. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

Yep it all comes down too the bucks. I don't have it setup the way I want it yet and have only done a couple of hours with it but the sensation is awesome, feeling bumps, engine vibrations, bear changes, off road excursions and rumble strips, it almost feels like you are in a car.