SimRacingWorld Poll - Which is better: Project CARS or rFactor 2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 3lfk1ng, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I personally believe the modding aspect (which is being worked on) is the only real big thing holding Gold back, when the changes get released in a build and the community has time to offer feedback/bugs then I reckon we'd see Gold a build or two after the initial release, just a hunch though!

2. tjc

tjc Registered

I`d start searching for that hat if I were you lol...

I agree with Abriel and the others and I think Gold is a while away yet. In fact I kind of hope it is... said this before but I`m saying it again (and I`ll keep saying it)

What`s the rush for Gold? Ok, things are maybe taking longer than people would like and I can definitely see why the guys that bought rf2 from the start are getting frustrated... I`d also like things to be furhter along than they are maybe but I`m also happy to wait if rf2 needs that time to be the #1 sim on the market...

I really think rf2 is going to be something quite special and it`ll blow most (if not all) of the cpmpetiton out of the water (or off the racetrack lol) and if getting to that stage requires more time than ISI first thought, then so be it imo.

I`m not getting at any one person with this post guys and as I`ve said, I can understand the frustration but time and patience is all we need.

+1 :)

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I think for some its the false hope of roughly 6 months of beta that has thrown them off somewhat and caused frustration, again I dont actually care when Gold hits personally but from reading these forums since they appeared its quite evident from ISI that Gold comes when Gjon thinks its ready.....and again none of us know when that will be.

Its all well and good wanting it to stay Beta for much longer but there has to come a time where enoughs enough and that button gets pressed, the modding thing I related to earlier is my own pure speculation, as far as we know there could be nothing stopping Gjon from announcing Gold after the next Build!
    I just dont believe it'll be a year away though, we've come a long way in these 11months (IMO) and for me the only thing left is to sort the modding area out, tweak the optimisation some more and then go Gold.

What a lot of people lose sight of is the fact that this is an evolving sim, so it does not need all the bells and whistles to be included from the start as they can and will be added later after Gold.....and has some have quipped in the past in respect to that "may as well call it Beta forever then!" :)

Agreed RF2 is gonna be amazing, in many aspects it already is for me as I simply hav'nt even gone back to rF1 since the Beta came out.

4. tjc

tjc Registered

Yeh I`m not convinced Gold is necessarily going to be a year away but I do think it could be many months away...

I take your point that it`s all really up to Gjon, obviously, but I do think (and hope in a way) that the bigger features will make it into the Gold release therefor that`s gong to take quite a bit of time yet imo.

5. jomardi

jomardi Registered

Cracheur SMS makes cars "each day" as an incubator! the difference between them is almost no, except that visually. SMS has lost balance between graphics & physic and this is bad for Sim-Racing. if you want many cars, beauty graphics they has already SHIFT 2 :| and finally, I do not trust those, who works contemporaneously for X-BOX, wii, you said about ranking, which ranking? each 2/3 th guy there play with AIDS, and gamepad you coll this 2012 sim style ? :|

pCARS never will be competitor no with RF2 no KUNOS, PiBoSo, X-Motor Racing etc... they can be competitor another MMO (in racing) games as "*******" at a low price :D

6. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

If we look at the appalling rate of dev to date, GOLD is at least 6-8months away....probably more.

7. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

As it stands right now with regard to the simulation experience, rFactor2 though having less vehicle content and less 'pretty' car models is much better overall.
    When I sit in the virtual cockpits of rF2 and look down the track, it is much more in tune with what I see looking through the windshield of my own car. The track surface, the lighting, the environment, etc...seems very normal. Croft by feels3 is actually the most life-like environment to date.
    When I roll into a turn in a properly setup Nissan in the sim, it reacts the way I expect it to based on real life experience.
    That's not to say that pCars is all bad. It does certain things well. As stated before; the models are very detailed. Things like flame animation are superb. The ability to counter and correct cars mid-slide is another such thing. By comparison, cars in rF2 seem to be on a much sharper edge and almost impossible to correct during big slides. That needs correcting.
    As someone who came up through the karting ranks and later rallying, where you spend half your time 'sideways' I can tell you that with very few exception, slide control mid-corner is quite manageable.
    My biggest gripe with SMS's project to date is the apparent lack of chassis mass. If you purposely take most of the cars off track and watch the reaction, you simply come away feeling a bit let down.
    The one question I keep asking myself of SMS is "How could they spend so much time on making 'pretty' car models... while overlooking the glaring baseline error?"
    I know guys will say it's pre-alpha. That's nonsense.
    Any simulation has to have a few fundamental things right out of the box. While I do not expect 100% of the vehicle handling physics to be completed at the start of any project, it still has to have the basic feel of a real car from the very beginning. Optimization can and should be continuously adapted as the technical data become available.
    Those of you with pCars; Try this...
    Go off track and purposely contact a barrier or take a bit more curbing than normal while watching the chassis reaction. It bounces at a rather odd and very high frequency...almost like the car has no weight.
    Every Friday I've download and install the patches hoping to see it fixed. I'm still hoping. This handling aspect detracts from what they're trying to ultimately achieve...a simulation. Maybe it's time for them to stop, revisit this while taking a long, hard look, before continuing model development. I really hope they'll fix it sooner than later.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2012
  8. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Because of cost, ie it takes many man hrs to build proper sim cars, that's why most sims are small on car content.
    Shift2 had 130 cars, the bulk of them were utter crap.

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

To the user "Rubbishfactor" that tried to give me negative rep and calling me an RFactor fan boy.

I am no fanboy. I have no personal, business, or financial ties of any sorts with ISI/RFactor. I have some real life experience (a grain of sands worth), and cant do it due to funding, or rather lack of, so I play the sims that most represent the real world in terms of the pure driving part. Not sounds (although I admit I am definetely a sound junkie), graphics or whatever, not because I want to feel like a real Formula 1 driver for a few hours every night, but because this is the closest I can get to real life.

I look at it as a tool, as almost a way of training (if thats the right word) for the day I may once be back on track for the real thing. I dont think of it as a video game, but almost some industrial training tool.

That is why I have a NO COMPROMISE attitude when it comes to physics.

For example, if sim A had an 8.5/10 on graphics and an 8.5/10 on physics, and sim B had only a half decent 5/10 on graphics and on physics scored ONLY a half point better at 9.0/10, I would choose sim B, EVERYDAY of the week.

Or...

If Redbull, Ferrari, McLaren, Toyota, (or anyone of the top sims in the world) , ever said to me "you can have our teams exact simulation, we'll give you all the super computers to power it aswell, but we dont use graphics cards, and never update graphics, so they will never be any better than even the original STOCK RFactor 1 graphics".....I'll gladly take that sim every day of the week.

None of our sims come close to those, but thats not my point, my point is, I am no fanboy of anything.

I play what the most realistic sim is. There are 3 to 4 in that category I feel, PCars isnt even close to any of them at the moment. Project cars doesnt even feel more advanced than raceroom experience, and although raceroom has the aids, I can actually play that with aids longer before I get bored, than I can play pcars without or with aids. PCars is still sooooooo junky.

P.s. When I say realistic, I am not talking about "well better graphics and refelections means its more realistic" lol. I am talking about the driving itself, physics, tyre model, turbo modelling, and anything that has to do with the actual physics of anything that affects the super duper duper complexities of vehicle dyanamics/handling characteristics (which we as humans still dont fully understand everything, and cant simulate it perfectly even if we had 10 super computers from the year 2025)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2012
  10. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

rf2 is truly unfinished in the sense that IMO, ISI have more to do, but it'll be the modders who determine the fate of this game, however, pcars has never ever felt like a sim at any stage of it's development, not to mention that the new tyre model was supposed to transform it, but it's not much diff to what it was 2 months ago.

If they can remove the notchy and inconsistent FFB, and ensure that powerful cars can spin the wheels if you flatten the gas etc, ensure that aerodynamics are at a reasonable standard etc, then it could easily be a good racing game, but atm, anyone who thinks pcars is superior to rf2 or any sim is either lying or just plain delusional.

Edit....I agree that Raceroom with aids on is a far better driving experience, but still deadly boring for a true sim racer.

11. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

12. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

Holy ****, i throw my wallet on screen while seeing this video:

13. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Now that this thread is officially derailed. I'm gonna download this and see what all the fuss is about. I haven't tried it in months. :)

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Looks pretty bad and dull to me

15. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

APPALLING

:confused: If it does these things what on earth you doing here. hehehe ;)

Example:

I never thought that Tim !

suck DD

lopl

16. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Oh the pCars boys won't like that. Ian Bell might threaten to sue. :p

17. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

I think when they label one game as "realistic" game they really want to mean is: nice graphics, forget physics.
    Hope i´m wrong.

18. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I'm trying to do some laps on it but I'm STILL DOWNLOADING!!! :p

19. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

I tried the Capri at default settings two nights ago. It was really,really bad out of the box. I did one lap of Connecticut and shut it down. The car understeered really badly. Having actually driven a race prepped Capri back in 1977, I do not remember that happening. I was left quite disappointed to say the least. I'm sure with setup it could get better. I just like to drive the cars first to see how well they are represented at default prior to tuning.

20. osella

osella Registered

Pretty much every car understeers like hell in pCars hehe.
    But then again I had the similar feel with default setups in GTR2 too, and nobody ever calls GTR2 arcade.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.