Simracing mini survey

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Golanv, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Golanv

Golanv Registered

2. RJames

RJames Registered

And where was this apparent survey done?

3. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Apparently Reddit.

4. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Reddit and it's users are disgusting. No offense intended to anyone in particular but anybody who gives a platform for racists and people who enjoying looking at pictures of dead children to communicate is scum of the earth IMO. It's a popular dark corner of the internet.

5. stonec

stonec Registered

Well not very surprising that rF1 is more owned than rF2, if we for a moment assume this "study" was representative. rF1 can be found in stores, DVD box, Steam, plus a lot of other sources unfortunately. rF2 is only on the ISI website. What is a bit surprising is the high ranking in "will likely buy next" category, considering rF2 is now mature product, which means people are still waiting for something (improvements?) regarding rF2.

6. coops

coops Banned

Tim has not even started with the publicity he wants to do from things he has said. So its great ppl know about it and how good it really is. Its just a shame that ppl bag it out all the time and most reviews are 1 sided.

7. stonec

stonec Registered

Well tbh I haven't seen much reviews at all after the lackluster ISR review last summer. rF1 was featured much more in every way, I reckon DVD even came included with some Logitech wheels and rF1 rigs were seen on F1 venues etc. Not much of this going on with rF2, I would say Empty Box YouTube channel is still the number one promotional source.

8. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

They missed one question, which is "who gives a rip?"

9. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Discussion depends on the angle. Licenses, accessibility and desire seem to stick out as key points. Also the results depend on the demographics of the surveyees.
    DiRT Rally doesn't have to be a so-called "proper sim" to be good and clearly popular, people have been dying for a decent rally game in nearly a decade and now there is something that came out of nowhere with a reasonable amount of polish, and amount of content.

10. Minibull

Minibull Member

Pretty much the reason why I didn't buy pCars straight off. I did that with AC and have logged 14 hours so far.

That poll does seem to reflect the general gist of things I see posted around the net. I hope Tim will oil up and flex rF2's advertising muscles at some point. I'd like to see the detailed internals broken down and put out there. Show us how the tyres are done, what goes into a car and track, how the engineers work their stuff, what rF2 can do and what it aims to do with it's software. If the idea of loose surface modelling eventually comes through, imagine that as a selling point. They already seem to be aiming to simulate many different and diverse areas of racing, that would go to a new level with decent dirt/gravel modelling. Then could that be applied to the tracks so that the grass and gravel are actually much more like real grass and gravel.

The goal that Tim mentioned once a while ago keeps me going...a Le Mans endurance race, with changing humidity around the track, wind and temperature changes as the race progresses, weather that would roll in and would be able to cover just small areas of track (raining at one end of the track, dry at the other), advanced wet track modelling with aquaplaning and standing water, 24 hour support, lots of cars, etc.
    I'm sure this stuff doesn't whip the heads around of most "normal" drivers, but that kind of thing trumps licences for me anyday.

The day night cycle is looking good atm, the lighting is too...wet weather taking a few steps forwards...UI...rules packages and ovals.. I'm sure this tortoise will win the race :D

11. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

I'd like to see a behind the scenes at ISI. The building(s) they work in, the home offices, the employees, the systems they work on, test rigs, spreadsheets or whatever they use to calculate/test/estimate I dunno...everything.

For example, I think some of Tim's videos seem to humanize ISI somewhat (even if Tim is not human ; just kidding,Tim :p) but maybe if people see that there are actually decent people with a passion for what they do just like sim racers are passionate maybe SOME will stop with all the hating nonsense.

12. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I would definitely love to see some behind the scenes stuff at ISI. While I appreciate that it must be near impossible for them to find the time to do it, I really think it would have a huge positive effect PR wise.

13. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

If people needs to lurk our desktop life to understand how much hard we work...oh well, I want to move on the moon really...:)

14. boblevieux

boblevieux Registered

+1 for studio tour, but as an ingame video like Polyphony Digital did in Gran Turismo.

15. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

@Tuttle, point taken, I guess, but not the intention by any means.

16. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Whoever did this survey needs to learn that such graphs are much easier to read when they are sorted by the result, not by the name of the item..

17. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

+100000000000000000000 ; I wouldn't even look at it because of that

18. Golanv

Golanv Registered

You are just enjoying leaving way too much... first you leave us without your mods, and now you planning to abandon the whole planet.
    BAD Tuttle BAD! :p

19. coops

coops Banned

studio tour would be orsam show ppl so they can understand more about the way ISI do things and why.

20. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

As others have said... I need to see the demographics of the poll, I need to see the questions and I really better have seen the poll in my daily sim news/travels, so I can know it's representative of the industry. If I didn't see it? It's a small pool. I've never cared for polls in politics or anything else really. I find humans generally stupid en masse, it's individuals that have any intelligence. It's like going to the mall and asking who the Vice President is... I find it's not going to turn out well. Even though you could go to a racing event like Nascar and get a very lopsided result. Polls are useless.