SimHQ Interview: Gjon Camaj on rFactor 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by guod, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Carbonfibre

Carbonfibre Registered

Good FFB is not just RealFeel though, it's the tracks.

iRacing feels so great because bumps and road surface directly affects (and sometimes dictates) the direction of travel. E.g. The straight at Limerock, and for this reason FFB can do wonders for the sense of speed as well, as those small stones and vibrations get transmitted into your hands, rFactor just doesn't do that.

If rF2 has the new system they say it does, then I don't need laser scanning, because they can perform an "artistic" pass on the track that places bumps in an intelligent fashion and of varying magnitude according to the tracks age and surface material.

2. Michael Juliano

Michael Juliano Track Team

Agreed, but it's also the car suspension, too. That said, I've spent a LOT of time modeling physical bumps, both large and small scale, into the race surface of each track. It's funny this FFB discussion should be going on. Just yesterday we ere doing another test of the new rejoin feature and I was commenting how cool it was to feel the tires grab at the bumps in the track as I was going through the turns.

I think MOST people will like the new FFB, honestly :)

3. vali

vali Registered

I liked the RealFeel plugin when it works... but have to disable it for most mods. As long as the FFB feels right (think of iRacing or LFS) there shouldn't be any concerns.

4. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

Since other people brought it up, I also prefer stock rFactor FFB to iRacing's FFB.

5. migf1

migf1 Registered

@ Scott Juliano: That's great news Scott! It was indeed something that needed to be reworked, imho. Track surface, tires, suspension & aerodynamics pretty much sum up the factors influencing the ffb, am I right?

@ Carbonfibre: Agree, I don't need laser scanning either, as long as the ffb feels like (or close to) nKPro's for example. Btw, this sim's ffb ruined it all for me... once I tried it I never managed to go back to any other sim :rolleyes:

6. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Nice info Scott. Thanks for sharing! :)

7. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Feels very odd to be having a heated discussion about a feature in a game that is being developed and then having someone who is working on the game chime in. We may actually accomplish something with this forum. Why wasn't it opened sooner!

8. lespaul20

lespaul20 Registered

I prefer RealFeel it feels more raw therefor more realistic. I've read somewhere that RealFeel is useless if the mod doesn't have real geometry as RealFeel take data directly from the steering rack.

I liked the comment about ripping off ideas. Resides me of the Jobs quote and he seems to have pretty nice software. I really hope a Q1 2011 release will happen. I've been waiting for a reason to upgrade my PC.

I also have an issue with the limitation of a single .plr file. I also have multiple installs for different mods that don't get along and to help with load time.